Display/pc locks up for 30-60 seconds

dsj1000

I am trying to determine if I may have some kind of malwear problem or a hardware issue and would really appreciate your input. I recently replaced my hardrive after a major crash and then reloaded Vista Ultimate and other applications. Things were looking good, then problems started. Here's whats happening:

PC display freezes for 30 - 60 seconds (application stops and shows "Not Responding" and display turns transparent white) and then returns to normal, and this happens at irregular intervals. Sometimes it does not recover even after five minutes.

Seems like this started when I loaded a plugin to watch streaming videos about four days ago.

I created several (atleast 6) restore points and now I can not find them. Only two remain from yesterday when I did Windows Updates. The restore does not resolve, or improve the problem.

I did a full backup to another internal drive and I can see the backup image file, but the pc does not recognize the backup. No matter what I do to try to restore the pc with the backup that was made by Windows, it will not see it as a valid backup image.

I do have both Malwearbytes and McaFee running and neither one can detect any malwear on the pc.

Does this sound like a virus, or a hardware problem?

Thanks for your guidance.

Don

There has been some known issues with McAfee and Malwarebytes working together, what version of McAfee are you using? You need to enter exceptions into you anti-virus program for Malwarebytes.....

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Please post back and let us know how it went.

Firefox:

Thanks for the reply. I am using the following McAfee products:

Security Center Version 9.15

VirusScan Ver. 13.15

Personal Firewall Ver. 10.15

SiteAdvisor Ver. 2.8.

In looking for the process to as the exclusions you notes, I can not find the area to add them. I checked the examples and there is not one for only McAfee, but I did try to work throuogh them, but no luck. I had heard that there might be some problems so I normally turn off Malwear's antivirus.

Understanding that it might be a conflict between the two applications, how can we explain why the restore points disappeared, or why the restore function can not "see" the Window's Backup Image?

Thanks aggain for your help.

Don

There has been some known issues with McAfee and Malwarebytes working together, what version of McAfee are you using? You need to enter exceptions into you anti-virus program for Malwarebytes.....

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Please post back and let us know how it went.

As far as I know that version of McAfee does not (or we could not find a place) to add exceptions. You may try using a different anti-virus program.

By the way, Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus program, it is an anti-malware program designed to work together with your anti-virus program.

Malwarebytes does not and will not delete restore points or will it disable your system restore. You may have malware running on your computer that may have deleted those. To check to see if you may be infected follow the instructions below:

Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:

As we don't deal with malware removal in the General Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forum, you need to start a topic in the Malware Removal forum so a qualified helper can help you fix any malware related problems/infections you may have.

• Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.
  • After posting your new post, make sure under options, you select Track this topic and choose Immediate Email Notification, so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.
  • One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.
  • Please refrain from making any further changes to your computer (Install/Uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc...) unless advised by a malware removal helper. Doing so can result in system changes which may hinder the attempts by a helper to clean your machine.

NOTE: Please DO NOT post back to (bump) your topic within the first 48 hours.

Replying to your own posts changes the post count and helpers are looking for topics with zero replies. If you reply to your own post helpers may think that you're already being helped and thus overlook your post.

• If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply to the topic, asking for help again.
      Or
    • You may send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or here.

Please be patient, someone will assist you as soon as it is possible.

PS: Please use the "ADDREPLY" t_reply.gif button instead of other ones when you start replying. :lol:

These directions for adding exclusions are from McAfee - They are a bit dated but they may help -

To change the Permissions Level for an Internet application if you have the icon:

Double-click the M to open the SecurityCenter.

From the Home menu, select Internet & Network and click on Configure to the right.

In the field that says Firewall protection is enabled click Advanced.

On the left, click on Program Permissions.

In the Program Permissions list, select an application and choose a different access level from the Action box in the lower right corner:

1. Click Grant Full Access to allow the application to both send and receive data.
  2. Click Grant Outbound-Only Access to prevent the application from receiving data.
  3. Click Block Access to prevent the application from sending or receiving data.
  4. Click Delete Program Permission to remove the application from the list.

The next time the application requests Internet access, you can set its permission level to re-add it to the list.