Error Code 732 (0, 0) when trying to update

I am trying to run malwarebytes but I get error 732 (0, 0) when I attempt to update it. How can I update it? I was able to update and run Superantispyware which showed tracking cookies only.

The reason I want to run a scan is because I noticed Avast says system is unsecure and the service is turned off. I tried to run a boot scan and full scan with avast but it couldn't. I went to services.msc and started avast and Windows said it started and stopped.

This morning Seamonkey wouldn't open, or task manager - then I lost all icons on the desktop and used the tower button to shut down the computer. When it was turned on later, everything seemed okay until I noticed Avast not running this evening.

This is an XPHomesp3 computer, fully updated with ZoneAlarm, Defensewall HIPS, script sentry, spywareblaster, MSVP Hosts file and spywareguard.

I made an image of the computer last month and allowed COMSurrogate to access the internet - this occurred during the image so I thought it had to do with the program. The registry does NOT have the run registry entries for that malware.

I would appreciate any help.

Sincerely, Libra

• Root Admin

Hello , and welcome to Malwarebytes.org

Please try the following.

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or post to ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or post to ask and we'll explain how to do it.

If that does not work and / or it cannot detect and clean the system then please follow the directions below.

Someone in that forum will provide you with one on one support to assist you.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

Hi Libra -

Just a quick add to the advice from AdvancedSetup -

Try to update with your Zone Alarm disabled first - This can block your connection to Malwarebytes updates -

If either of those programs has any sort of web filter, like Zone Alarm , ensure that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Thank You -

EDIT -

Any other problems should really go to the experts to diagnose as stated by AdvancedSetup -

Also try Internet Explorer as well as Sea Monkey browser -

Thank you for your reply. So far, I disabled ZoneAlarm and tried to update. I still got the 732 (0, 0) error, so I enabled ZA again. I then used add/remove and removed malwarebytes. I then used the mbam_cleanup and rebooted the computer. I have to go out now, so I didn't try to install the latest version yet.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but I used the eset online scanner (didn't scan for archives) and it only found Unlocker 1.8.7 which it called a varient of Win32/Adware.ADON application. I think that was a f/p but I had it delete it.

(The Avast forum is recommending I remove ZA. Avast still isn't running. I guess I should continue with Malwarebytes and then attempt to reinstall Avast. I'm quite confused.

I will try to install malwarebytes when I get back. Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Hi Advanced Setup,

I reinstalled Malwarebytes and it updated to database 4337! I ran a Quick Scan and it found three items: Broken.Open (Registry Data), Trojan.Dropper (file) and Hijack.HomeP (Registry data I think). I had it remove them and it required a reboot.

When I rebooted I got an error message from Script Sentry: Error 70, Permission Denied in INI.Access.Write_INI. Is this a problem?

Previously I tried to repair Avast and it didn't fix it. I guess I should remove and reinstall Avast.

I would appreciate your advice on this and the Script Sentry error message. Am I suppose to be posting at that other link?

I just noticed that the first item (Broken.Open) seems to relate to Script Sentry. I'll will post the contents of the log.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

This is the log:

Registry Data Items Infected: 2

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command\(default) (Broken.OpenCommand) -> Bad: (C:\Program Files\Script Sentry\ScriptSentry.exe "%1" %*) Good: (regedit.exe "%1") -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\control panel\HomePage (Hijack.HomePageControl) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp\fatemp-icon.exe (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successful

~~~~~~~~~~~

I wonder if the Registry fix regarding the Home Page Hijack could have anything to do with SpywareGuard?

Thank you for helping me get a new malwarebytes that updated and ran.

Sincerely, Libra

Hi Libra -

You seem to have most of the problems sorted now - If you wish to change from Avast , then I have found Microsoft Security Essentials Free (MSE) to be a very good option these days - There is a 'live link' to click on in my signature to the program if you ever wish to use it -

Avast and Avira are 2 very good programs but I found MSE more simple and 'lighter' at running -

Some of the programs do not mix with some Firewalls (as you found) but just use what You feel happy with -

Please continue the post, or follow the link to the experts if you wish further help -

Thank You - :lol:

Hi noknojon,

Thank you for your reply. Avast still isn't working and I haven't tried to remove it yet. I'll let you know how I make out. It seems that a lua accessed something, because I found an avast report for the web shield which showed two infections. It's set to "abort connection" so I don't understand this.

Sincerely, Libra

Hi again -

If you do decide to remove your A/Virus program and replace it , then I always check This Page to make sure it is fully removed -

It is RA Program Uninstallers - They have good details to make sure it is removed fully -

Also , don't forget to update Malwarebytes and continue to rescan for the next few days -

Thank You -

EDIT - Note that current update as of now is Version 4339 -

• Root Admin

No, you need to go to the HJT forum as shown below and allow one of the Experts to assist you in verifying your system is clean and they can also assist you with removing, repairing Avast if you want or to switch to another product if you like.

I'll close this post here and you can work on your issues in the other forum. Please be patient as it can take a couple days before someone is available to assist you.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org