"apuntinstall" Malware, Google-linked Malware and Win32

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi!

Sorry for the break - I was away from my computer for a while there. In any case, I tried GMER again but had the same problem - I think it might just be too much for my computer to handle. In any case, I ran MBR again - the log is below. Also, the clicking sound has stopped ... any thoughts?

Thank you again!

MBRCheck, version 1.1.1

© 2010, AD

\\.\C: --> \\.\PhysicalDrive0

\\.\D: --> \\.\PhysicalDrive0

Size Device Name MBR Status

--------------------------------------------

298 GB \\.\PhysicalDrive0 Windows XP MBR code detected

Done! Press ENTER to exit...

Great you are welcome that was quite a battle :D

=======Cleanup

• Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /uninstall in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the Uninstall, it needs to be there.

======Next======

• Double click on OTL to run it.
  • Click on the Cleanup button at the top.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. Choose Yes.
  • This will remove itself and other tools we may have used.

===========

After that your all set.

===The following are some articles and a Windows Update link that I like to suggest to people to prevent malware and general PC maintenance===

Windows Updates - It is very important to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft. To do this just start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.

Prevention article Some great guidelines to follow to prevent future infections please read the Prevention artice by Miekiemoes.

"How did I get infected in the first place?" Also this one by Tony Klein.

If your computer is slow Is a tutorial on what you can do if your computer is slow.

File sharing program dangers Reasons to stay away from File sharing programs for ex: BitTorrent,Limewire,Kazaa,emule,Utorrent etc...

===Free antimalware tools used for on demand scanning and cleaning no real time unless purchased===

Malwarebytes Antimalware

superantispyware

===Free antivirus links===

This is antivirus and antispyware.

Microsoft Security Essentials

This is free antispyware protection and Antivirus protection.

AVG free 9.0

This is just antivirus protection.

Antivir

This is antivirus and antispyware protection.

Avast

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!