Anybody need a laptop cooler/holder?

goldhound

I originally posted this on Geeks to Go! a few folks liked it so i thought to pass it on here.

I spend much time on my laptop and never saw one that suited my needs so i built one from some Cedar bits. Fits nicely in my Lazyboy :)

puterstand2.png

puterstandsideview.png

If my belly gets any bigger i may have to re-engineer :)

Stays cool (me too) adjusts back and forth or change angle to suit my slouch. Also used as a dinner tray.

I made several for friends in slightly different sizes according to their bellies and chairs. All still intact after about 18 months.

Will supply basic dimensions if anyone interested, very simple to build and light weight.

[...]

puterstand2.png

Will supply basic dimensions if anyone interested, very simple to build and light weight.

It's like deja'vu all over again Wayne. Remember the days of Dot Matrix printers; I had a printer stand that looked similar. Drats; If I had hung onto it for 17 years I could have my OWN laptop cooler ready-made. :)EDIT: Hey smarty pants; beautiful looking piece of woodwork but how come you have TWO screws in the upper right hand corner of the stand-alone and THREE screws in the upper right hand corner for the "belly-shot, laptop-in-place" one?? :) Did you have to expand it already?? (grinning, ducking and running) :)

@Mona7865: I've got two left feet and no hands (in the woodworking sense) so I'd have to have Wayne build me one.. or have saved my ready-made one from long ago. :)

~Shy

puterstand2.png

It's like deja'vu all over again Wayne. Remember the days of Dot Matrix printers; I had a printer stand that looked similar. Drats; If I had hung onto it for 17 years I could have my OWN laptop cooler ready-made. :)EDIT: Hey smarty pants; beautiful looking piece of woodwork but how come you have TWO screws in the upper right hand corner of the stand-alone and THREE screws in the upper right hand corner for the "belly-shot, laptop-in-place" one?? :) Did you have to expand it already?? (grinning, ducking and running) :)

@Mona7865: I've got two left feet and no hands (in the woodworking sense) so I'd have to have Wayne build me one.. or have saved my ready-made one from long ago. :)

~Shy

Yep two different ones Steve, good eye :) Two screw model is wife's and doesn't fit me too well. I was going to countersink and put caps over the screws but functionality won out over vanity, also i am impatient and wreck more projects the first time than you can imagine. No expansion yet but barbecue season is in full swing so.......... :)

Oh ya, i remember dot matrix printers and how "futuristic" they were. :)

Mona a cordless screwdriver/drill is omni handed and so is a brad nailer, i rarely use a hammer anymore unless i'm "fixing" my truck :)

Wayne

Yep two different ones Steve, good eye :) Two screw model is wife's and doesn't fit me too well. I was going to countersink and put caps over the screws but functionality won out over vanity, also i am impatient and wreck more projects the first time than you can imagine. No expansion yet but barbecue season is in full swing so.......... :D

Oh ya, i remember dot matrix printers and how "futuristic" they were. :)

Mona a cordless screwdriver/drill is omni handed and so is a brad nailer, i rarely use a hammer anymore unless i'm "fixing" my truck :)

Wayne

Reminds me of an old Air Force saying about all a Radar Tech needed in his "tool kit" was a hammer and prophylactic. "If you can't fix it (hammer), ---- it (prophylactic)." :) It's been BBQ season here for awhile but it's also been too darned hot to stand out there and cook. :)

Yeah, for a guy that has coke bottle lenses for glasses I do pretty good at noticing little differences - love those side-by-side panels in the Sunday comics where one has to find at least 6 things different or changed in the 2nd panel.

As for dot-matrix, I had a Epson workhorse that had to pause every 15-20 pages or so to let the printer head cool down.. What a piece of cah-cah.. Finally justified spending $999US (in 1994 dollars) for an HP LaserJet 4P with the print quality of an angel and the blazing speed (4 pages a minute) of a dead race horse. :):P

Have you seen the bear you made a eunuch of since the incident with the .22 ?? :)

Hey to the Missus,

~Steve

Reminds me of an old Air Force saying about all a Radar Tech needed in his "tool kit" was a hammer and prophylactic. "If you can't fix it (hammer), ---- it (prophylactic)." :) It's been BBQ season here for awhile but it's also been too darned hot to stand out there and cook. :)

Yeah, for a guy that has coke bottle lenses for glasses I do pretty good at noticing little differences - love those side-by-side panels in the Sunday comics where one has to find at least 6 things different or changed in the 2nd panel.

As for dot-matrix, I had a Epson workhorse that had to pause every 15-20 pages or so to let the printer head cool down.. What a piece of cah-cah.. Finally justified spending $999US (in 1994 dollars) for an HP LaserJet 4P with the print quality of an angel and the blazing speed (4 pages a minute) of a dead race horse. :) :)

Have you seen the bear you made a eunuch of since the incident with the .22 ?? :)

Hey to the Missus,

~Steve

Well i'm told he was seen sitting on a glacier 10 miles from here near MT Arrowsmith :) There was a near fatal Bear attack on two elderly campers near here (not in a park) yesterday. We have a huge overpopulation of Bears here on the Island, that coupled with a late cold spring has created many problems in both rural and urban areas. Back in the day any person seeing one in town would run it off pronto ( a shotgun with rocksalt loaded) and terminate it if it came back, that kept the problem minimal, now too many fools think they are cute and feed them, thus putting a death sentence on the poor dumb critters.

Ya the one that sneaked up behind my wife on the patio that night has been fed by neighbors.........

Where's the drinks holders?.... :D

Optional extras - Note the cigs and TV remotes still sit on the side table :D

As for dot-matrix, I had a Epson workhorse that had to pause every 15-20 pages or so to let the printer head cool down.. What a piece of cah-cah.. Finally justified spending $999US (in 1994 dollars) for an HP LaserJet 4P with the print quality of an angel and the blazing speed (4 pages a minute) of a dead race horse.

$55 in todays money (includes spare refill of ink :D ) -

Optional extras - Note the cigs and TV remotes still sit on the side table :lol:

Note that "I" have the remotes :)

And note that the Missus has YOU.. so.. who really controls the remotes?? Yeah; that's what SHE said.. :lol: :lol:

Just kidding... (not) :D

It's a good thing we're friends, Wayne; I'd hate to meet the same fate as that last bear; *ouch* ROFLMAO!

~Steve

Wayne's right Kenny; Bandit *is* a beautiful (handsome?) looking dog! :D

wHblc.jpg

Would NOT like to meet Bandit in a dark alley at night; friendly, or not. Bandit is a VERY intimidating-looking dog. :D Even if he wasn't backed up by a six time Golden Gloves champ. :D

~Shy

That picture was taken when he was 7 months old. He's 13 months old now. Siberian Huskies are not mean and they love people. I got him in Canada. The breeder did a back ground check on me! Before I could have him.

The color red/brown and white. With ice blue eyes is what everyone talks about when they see Bandit. But women here, STILL pick up their dogs when they see Bandit. Not knowing all he wants to do is play.

Thank you Shy..... :D

That picture was taken when he was 7 months old. He's 13 months old now. Siberian Huskies are not mean and they love people. I got him in Alberta, Canada. The breeder did a back ground check on me! Before I could have him.

The women here STILL pick up their dogs when they see Bandit. Not knowing all he wants to do is play.

Thank you Shy..... :)

I love dogs.. We used to have them when I was a kid and even when I first got married, way back in the day. Our last dog, TEDDY, passed at age 15 and had been the source of the COOL DOG TEDDY children stories I used to write and illustrate online on my website. By the time he had passed on to chasing rabbits in the skies, my wife had infiltrated the home with feline intruders. :D She decided she didn't want to walk a dog (any dog) any more and since I was working and couldn't do it, and we couldn't afford a fenced-in yard, we became a cat family. (Dogs love ya; cats tolerate you - but I lost the battle.. Wives.. arrgghhh :lol: ) Been like that ever since.

I'd love to have a dog again but my wife has determined, "Over her dead body!" Since I'm getting too old for prison, I guess I'm stuck with cats. :lol: :lol:

Doesn't mean I can't appreciate other people's Pups tho' !! So thanks for sharing Bandit's mug online so we can enjoy him too. :) And thanks for not minding that I put his picture up here before I asked you.

Best regards, and an ear scratching for Bandit,

~Shy

Sorry about TEDDY.

LOL. And it's true with most cats.

goldhound what are the dimensions of your laptop cooler/holder?

Hi Kenny94,

Overall width is 22 inches which fits snugly inside the arms of my Lazyboy, you may want to change that to suit whatever width you need. Side pieces are 3/4 inch Cedar x 12 inches long and 7 inches deep. 1/2 inch Cedar would be ok but more difficult to set screws in. I pre drilled the screw holes to prevent splitting and you could also glue all joints, i did not and it is good still after 18 months.

Crosspieces are 1/2 inch by 2 inch Cedar, spaced to fit the buttons on the bottom of the laptop, some belly room left, about 3-4 inches.

Wayne

(Dogs love ya; cats tolerate you - )

Almost ....

Dogs will love and defend you and yours (Mine did for 17 years) - Cats stay where ever they are fed and bedded -

Our last cat found the food up the road , where they have the good canned stuff 'better' , so he "Moved house" :D

Almost ....

Dogs will love and defend you and yours (Mine did for 17 years) - Cats stay where ever they are fed and bedded -

Our last cat found the food up the road , where they have the good canned stuff 'better' , so he "Moved house" :D

Could you have your ex-cat send my wife's cat directions to that house up the road?? :D

~Shy