Question about mbr.sys

borris83

I was troubleshooting a system ans recently an user got a BSOD error mentioning mbr.sys..

I had used catchme.exe before he got that error, to see if there are any infections.. I booted his system in safemode and ran GMER rootkit revealer.. It showed the file c:\documents and settings\padmanabhan2\local settings\temp running but I went to the location I couldn't see the file..

The problem is resolved now but I am wondering what is mbr.sys is? Some websites say that it is malicious while others say that it is a part of GMER rootkit revealer itself.. Anyone has any idea?

I was troubleshooting a system ans recently an user got a BSOD error mentioning mbr.sys..

I had used catchme.exe before he got that error, to see if there are any infections.. I booted his system in safemode and ran GMER rootkit revealer.. It showed the file c:\documents and settings\padmanabhan2\local settings\temp running but I went to the location I couldn't see the file..

The problem is resolved now but I am wondering what is mbr.sys is? Some websites say that it is malicious while others say that it is a part of GMER rootkit revealer itself.. Anyone has any idea?

I'm no true expert but when you search for something like that on Google or whatever and you get two results one being good and one being bad it usually depends on where the file is located. So if you know that information it could help.