Manually Updating

When I attempt to update, I get:

"An error has occurred. Please report this error code to our support team.

MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING (12150, 0, WinHttpQueryHeaders)"

I use Windows XP and Norton (2006). I've added all the needed files to the allowed list for Norton, and I've un-installed and re-installed, and I still have the same problem. I've also had the problem with SUPERAntiSpyware but was able to download their manual definitions update. I ran a full scan with them and found only Adware cookies.

My Malwarebytes is the April 29 edition. I also did a full scan a few days ago and there was nothing found.

If it would be possible to have an explanation why this is happening, that would be appreciated.

Regular manual definition updates would be a good idea.

Here is the Quick Scan log for the scan I've just now done.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4052

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

19/07/2010 13:49:26

mbam-log-2010-07-19 (13-49-26).txt

Scan type: Quick scan

Objects scanned: 160231

Time elapsed: 10 minute(s), 28 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Hi -

Since you are using Norton.....

Are you running Norton A/V Add on Pac? -

Anyone that is running Norton internet security that still has the update error (12150,0, win http query headers ) do you have nortons add on pac? If not, you are probily one of the few that has had no problems. If you have the add on pac you can go to setting then click on parental and privacy controls and disable them. Mbam will update with no problems

Someone has found the problem that is with the add on pac and hopefuly norton will have a fix.

Thank You - :)

Please wait and try again tomorrow. We were having some issues with paths on the network that may or may not have been an issue for you. This should be corrected tonight, so if you're still having trouble tomorrow let us know.

well it's now July and all of the sudden I'm getting the same code [MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING (12150, 0, WinHttpQueryHeaders)]. Now looking for suggestions.

• Staff

Hi!

I saw that link was dead (http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/database/mbam-rules.exe).

The problem that I used to advise people who have been infected and haven't any network available to download MBAM and rules from another PC and install both of them to scan the PC... For now it's not possible anymore due to that dead link

You told that link (http://data.mbamupdates.com/tools/mbam-rules.exe) was working, and I confirm, but my question is: Will this link be still available in a few time? Do you think about an "official" link updated everytime? :)

Cheers.

Sorry for the mistakes, I'm French. :)

• Root Admin

Well we hope that it will remain a long time but the Internet and Servers do have a habit of changing over time. If it does change we'll post about it.

Thanks.

oh... and if the translation from Google was not good, they want input as to why it was not good or how it can be improved as well :)

Please wait and try again tomorrow. We were having some issues with paths on the network that may or may not have been an issue for you. This should be corrected tonight, so if you're still having trouble tomorrow let us know.

I'm working on a friend's PC... actually one of my old ones. In April, he had a real mess on his hands and I was able to bring it back, largely due to MBAM. Now the machine's internet connectivity is hosed and I can't figure out/find the culprit... Probably don't need this, but the error I'm getting with MBAM is MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING (12007, 0, WinHTTPSendRequest).

The box is XP SP3 running MBAM 1.46 (with manual update dated today - thanks for that!) and Symantec AV Corporate. v10.1.7.7000. It appears something hijacked the computer's ability to access the internet and disabled all known (to me at least) AV/Spyware/Malware programs update functions. I was able to access the internet by using an anonymous proxy server, but the helper programs still will not update. Found your link to the manual MBAM update and ran a quick scan. Log is attached. I was able to download and launch HouseCall, but the app hung 3 seconds into the scan.

I've also noticed that I cannot create a system restort point and that there's no system recovery console on this box. SAV was last updated on June 23, 2010, so I'm guessing this is a recent hijack. When I ran the first scan of SAV, it found (but could only partially remove) backdoor.tidserve!inf. Now all traces of it seem to be gone (invisible?) - it did not quarantine that instance. I also ran ComboFix, but I'm not sure it ran properly since at the time it couldn't access the internet.

Any suggestions?

mbam_log_2010_07_21__07_41_02_.txt

Hello EricG,

The most current DB version, when this post is created, is 4335. The manual update version is quite close - 4333.

Can you update to the version stated above? If not, follow the instructions below and see if it corrects the problem -

Please add the following MBAM files to the exclusion list of the antivirus/ firewall programs:

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it as well

If the programs has any sort of web filter, ensure that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Post back if you have further questions.

Thanks.

No, when I download and install the manual update posted above, the version I get is 4125. What I don't understand is why the MANUAL update is doing that - shouldn't the AV and firewall not be a factor?

I added all of those files to my Norton exclusion list, it still doesn't work.

No, when I download and install the manual update posted above, the version I get is 4125. What I don't understand is why the MANUAL update is doing that - shouldn't the AV and firewall not be a factor?

I added all of those files to my Norton exclusion list, it still doesn't work.

After the real checking on my vista machine, mbam-rules.exe is the version 4125 :) [although it says 4333 in the detail tab...]

I believe something is wrong in the process ....

Let's deal with this way and see if it can update after adding the exclusions ...

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Go to:

* C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

and rename the "rules.ref" file to "rules.ref.old". Once you've done that, start MBAM and when it shows the error and asks to update. Go ahead update it.

After performing the steps above, do the following to hide the hidden and system folders again:

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click on Start
  • Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

See if it helps and post back whether it works :)