Disappearing MBAM Icon.

Hi, I've done a fair amount of searches on this issue, but haven't found a conclusive answer.

I just reformatted my computer and installed MBAM. This morning I noticed that the icon for MBAM is "there," but there's no picture in it. It's just that white rectangle that appears for missing images on Windows 7. I thought it was an error, so I uninstalled and reinstalled MBAM, the image reappeared, but when I went into the MBAM directory, I noticed the application file was missing its image too. After a few moments, the quick launch icon image disappeared too.

Is this a bug or did I download a faulty install file?

Welcome -

Please use this method to Un/Re install Malwarebytes - You must fully remove any old traces of the program if it is faulty -

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from Here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version only

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now reset any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Thank You - :)

Welcome -

Please use this method to Un/Re install Malwarebytes - You must fully remove any old traces of the program if it is faulty -

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from Here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version only

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now reset any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

I just tried that and it seems to have resolved the issue. The Icon of MBAM hasn't disappeared @ all.

A few follow-up questions if you don't mind.

1) What does MBAM-Clean.exe do? Does it just uninstall the program, or does it also clean up the previous registry traces?

2)A few things I've noticed. In the same session if I uninstall MBAM, reinstall it, and uninstall it again - it actually prompts for a system restart.

But if I uninstall the MBAM (after a fresh restart) it doesn't ask for a reboot itself.

Is that normal behavior Or should it always ask for a reboot after uninstallation?

3) Final follow-up question - I think total, I've uninstalled and reinstalled about five or so times, the latter two times I actually followed the MBAM-Clean.exe method. If I uninstall MBAM and reinstall it that many times - would you advise a reformat of the hard drive due to possible registry issues, or would that be overkill?

Hi Novice Techie -

As a basic response - 1 / Cleans traces -

2 / Not unusual - this has been noted and is quite normal - The line below from the procedure says this -

(It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important)

3 / I never reinstall / reformat anything unless there is a very good reason -

would you advise a reformat of the hard drive due to possible registry issues, or would that be overkill?

I hope this covers your problems - Please post back if you have other questions or problems -

Thank You -

Hi Novice Techie -

As a basic response - 1 / Cleans traces -

2 / Not unusual - this has been noted and is quite normal - The line below from the procedure says this -

(It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important)

3 / I never reinstall / reformat anything unless there is a very good reason -

I hope this covers your problems - Please post back if you have other questions or problems -

Thank You -

Tyvm, that answered all my questions. Since I'm new to the forums, I'm not quite sure on the protocols, but is there a means to say this topic/question has been "Answered?"

Tyvm, that answered all my questions. Since I'm new to the forums, I'm not quite sure on the protocols, but is there a means to say this topic/question has been "Answered?"

No Probs -

We leave most items open as others may have the same problem and these fixes and advice are available free to all who want them -

Glad we could help - Please call back if you have any other questions -

Thank you - :)

I was having the same problem. Followed all the steps. I now have my quick launch icon back but still have that stupid box instead of an icon in task manager.

I just formatted and reinstalled windows, XP mce, last night on account of a nasty virus I couldn't catch. I keep setup programs on my flash drive (witch was connected at time of infection) to reinstall mbam among other things. After install of the OS all seamed fine, until I started loading programs back into my computer. I've been chasing files all day trying to figure it out. In short I believe this virus maybe in the flash drive and reinfect the computer every time I connect it. Is that possible?

Seems like I'm getting the same issue again. Last time I posted was July 16 or 17. I just re-did the steps - Uninstalled, restarted, ran MBAM_clean, reinstalled. I made a desktop icon, attached that to the quicklaunch/taskbar area, deleted the desktop icon..

I went into the root folder (this time it's a program files (x86) - and the core application launcher (mbam.exe ) has a generic icon, meaning that its missing the MBAM icon. I do have the MBAM icon on the mbamgui.exe.

I'm not quite sure what's going on. @ this moment the taskbar/quicklaunch icon is still valid and viable, but its concerning that the main mbam.exe icon keeps disappearing in its directory folder.

I've downloaded the program from various sources - download.com, majorgeeks, filehippo - seems to always end the same way - missing (taskbar + mbam.exe) icon after a few days (or moments).

I do use ccleaner often, do u think it deletes the icon?

Or do you think this is a flaw in the 1.4.6 release of mbam?

I think I have a possible solution from another forum..

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/2...-heres-fix.html

I started getting suspicious when my AIM icon disappeared too.

Turns out it may just be a corrupted IconsCache database. After trying their solution, everything seems to be fine.

/hoping it doesn't happen again or i'll have to reformat >.<

Hi Again -

To both gdbssckrlbd and Novice Techie -

Rather than reinstall and you may lose information you wish to keep there may be a problem with your systems - Our experts are available to check your systems and there may be another solution - If you wish you can follow the instructions below and see if we can help -

Please print out, read and follow the directions Here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic Here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post - Please allow at least 48 hours for a reply as the experts can get busy at times -

Also add a brief note to the experts as to your problems -

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or via Here

Always use the ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom of the page when you reply -

EDIT -

I note that one of my Icons will show as a "standard page" icon at times , but this never concerns me too much -

You should still have the item in Programs - If not then you should have it checked -