anyway to get around my login password for windows?

mc42

My keyboard on one computer doesn't produce anything when i try to type in my password for the windows log in screen. It works on another computer, so it is not the keyboard, but some software problem. From searching it seams it may be a problem with threatfire. The mouse works so i can click on my username to log in, but then when i try to type in my password, nothing happens. I asked on the threatfire forum, but no response yet. There are threads there saying to use the virtual keyboard in windows and then remove threatfire or add an update or a file, but that only works if your computer isn't password protected, as with password protection, I can not even get to my desktop to add or remove something.

I thought you got to safe mode by hitting F8 while it is loading up. I did that a number of times but never get to a screen to chose safe or normal mode. It just goes to the normal windows log in screen. I've tried hitting delete button also and that takes me to the bios screen.

Yes i have done all that. I have tried a different keyboard with the computer and nieiher keyboard works with the computer i cant log into. I have also tried both keyboards with a different computer and both keyboards work. I have also switched usb slots and that doesnt help. So I am sure the key board is fine (the green light comes on when it is connected to another computer and it works fine with it.) So i am sure it is a software problem on the one computer (as no keyboard works when connected to it

I had wondered if that would have worked also, as the computer does a connection for that kind of keyboard, but i didn't have one, and didn't want to buy one to see if it would work. I did go into the set up screen, if that is the same as the BIOS, and the keyboard did work to use the left to right arrows ect. I've ended up reformatting the hard drive, so everything works fine now. Before reformatting with a clean windows xp install, i had also tried just a repair, which completed, but did not correct the problem. Thanks for the suggestions.

Hi -

If you have your XP CD , put that in and see if it alters / fixes anything -

Is this a laptop or a dektop that is having problems ??

Yes that is what i did (i probably didn't explain myself very well in the above post). It is a desktop and i used to XP CDto reformat the hard drive. So now the keyboard works.

Yes that is what i did (i probably didn't explain myself very well in the above post). It is a desktop and i used to XP CDto reformat the hard drive. So now the keyboard works.

:angry::angry: Glad to see you seem to have solved it - I had one for Laptops but you seem to be OK -