MWB freezes on Win XP Pro

I ran the latest version MWB free version on my PC, it took about 8 hours and then it hung when almost at the end. It had been through both my drives and it said it was doing a final check on my system when this happened. The same thing happened then next day. Can anyone advise? Thanks.

Hello Firefox, many thanks for your welcome and reply.

Unfortunately the problem is happening on quick scan also. It always locks up at the same place - when it says "scanning additional items on your system". All other programs (including Avast anti-virus) are turned off.

My system is:

~~~~~~~~~~~

Win XP Pro - SP3

Intel Pentium 4

CPU 2GHz

760 MB (RAM)

~~~~~~~~~~~

Please can you advise me further?

Many thanks.

PS - Just out of interest, when would a full scan be necessary?

Please use TFC to clear temporary files:

Run TFC by OldTimer to clear temporary files:

• Please download TFC from here or here and save it to your desktop.
  • Close any open programs and Internet browsers.
  • Double click TFC.exe to run it and once it opens click on the Start button on the lower left of the program to allow it to begin cleaning.
  • Please be patient as clearing out temp files may take a while.
  • Once it completes you may be prompted to restart your computer, please do so.
  • Once it's finished you may delete TFC.exe from your desktop or save it for later use for the cleaning of temporary files.

After it's done and you've restarted your PC Run a Check Disk.

Please run a Disk Check on your C: drive:

• Click Start and open My Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer

Once the disk check completes after a reboot, go ahead and try scanning again to see if it works this time. If it does not then proceed with the following to see if it corrects it:

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start Orb vista-7-start.png and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Please let us know how it goes.

Hi -

Please first run the items that Firefox left for you - Also you can run DiskCleanup (Accessories>System Tools>DiskCleanup) -

If there are still problems make sure your Avast is fully updated and Malwarebytes is updated then see what the result is -

Version 4315 is MBAM current update -

Thank You -

Thank you Firefox, I carried out ALL your instructions. I have it running at the moment but its going EXTREMELY slowly. Windows Task Manager is saying "not responding" for the majority of the time but occasionally it switches to "running" when simultaneously on the MWB scanner tab the 'objects scanned' and 'time elapsed' amounts briefly increase, before reverting to 'not responding' on Task Manager. Once again this is happening whilst "scanning additional items on your system" is displayed. Objects scanned reads 47601 and its been running now for almost 2 hours. The pause scan, abort scan and exit buttons do not work. The only way to close it is to click 'end task' on task manager.

Is this all normal? Should I just leave it for a while longer? I'm quite happy to do so, but to me this does not seem like the way such a program should usually operate, but I bow to your superior knowledge. Task manager also displayed "not responding" earlier on during the scan, but not as frequently.

Thank you again and I await your further instruction.

-

Cancel the Malwarebytes scan if a Full scan takes over 2 hours or a Quick Scan takes over 1 hour -

There is an obvious fault with your computer or the program -

When was the last time you ran a full Disk Check on your system ?

Copy and Paste this code into Run Box , exit all programs including this one , click OK -

This will restart your system and run a full 5 stage check on your h/d and repair most faults -

CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30

This takes from 30-60 mins on average to run -

Thank You -

Yes I already ran a disk check as per Firefox's above instructions.

I rescanned with 'scan additional item against heuristics' unticked in MBAM and it went through successfully with no hanging. I also ran a successful scan in safe mode with 'scan additional item against heuristics' ticked

MWB support seem to think that a start up program is conflicting with the MBAM scan and are currently working to identify which one it is and disabling it. I've passed on the above info to them and I'm currently waiting to hear back from them, but the issue has had them fairly stumped up to now.

UPDATE:

If 'scan additional items against heuristics' (under settings) is unticked, it runs fine, i.e. no hanging. We're now trying to figure out why this is...

Tech support now seem to think there could be a bug in the MBAM heuristic scanner settings. They're currently liasing with their QA tech over this. It may be premature to assume its a virus at my end, particularly in light of the fact that my PC is running smoothly and zero infections were detected on the scan.