HOSTSMAN - re: DNS cache - question??

Based on our previous discussion a few weeks ago concerning always OVERWRITING instead of MERGING when UPDATING I read (somewhere?) that a DNS FLUSH is required after each UPDATE. Any info from a longtime user(s) is appreciated. Due to the way HOSTSMAN stores its host file info (seven across per one 127.0.0.1) I learned fairly fast NOT to import COMMENTS as it screws up the whole file during OPTIMIZATION. :D

Thanks in advance :D

~Shy

Comments can be deleted via the options or tools menu. For dns flusing, you can do that via the options or tools menu(don't remember) or try this guide on helpmyos.

I know HOW-2 do those things. My question was "Is the DNS cache supposed to be flushed after every update?"

*sigh*

~Shy

Based on what I've read from MVP Host's website, the DNSCache service is supposed to be stopped and disabled when using a HOSTS file over a few hundred KBs. From what I remember, it will slow down the DNS process if you leave it enabled since it has to search your cache first, then the HOSTS file. It should still be on MVP Host's website if you want to read it for yourself.

To address your specific question, it makes sense to flush the DNS Cache after updating your HOSTS file because entries might have been added that were not there previously or vice versa.

Based on what I've read from MVP Host's website, the DNSCache service is supposed to be stopped and disabled when using a HOSTS file over a few hundred KBs. From what I remember, it will slow down the DNS process if you leave it enabled since it has to search your cache first, then the HOSTS file. It should still be on MVP Host's website if you want to read it for yourself.

To address your specific question, it makes sense to flush the DNS Cache after updating your HOSTS file because entries might have been added that were not there previously or vice versa.

Yeah; like a dummy, I never connected the DNS cache with the DNS server which I had already turned off when I installed HOSTSMAN (I know; I know; how dumb can one person be? :)). I should have come back here and closed the topic as I got the answer in a PM a few days ago. :)Thank you for taking the time to answer. Maybe it will at least help someone else.

~Shy