Malewarebytes Conflicts

Have you had any issues with Malewarebytes needing to be turned off to allow Carbonite to process backups? My problem is that with Malewarebytes turned on Carbonite is very slow and my system locks. May be related to some other problem since the same thing happens when I run McAfee. Have you had this problem and what needs to be done?

Thanks

Terry

What version of McAfee do you use.....

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Please post back and let us know how it went.

Hello, forgeahead:

Assuming your FW and AV exclusions are properly set up, I don't think it's MBAM that's slowing your Carbonite.

Every computer system is different of course, but at least on my 2 systems (details are in my signature), I have no trouble with Carbonite and MBAM Pro 1.46 (with active protection enabled) on either my desktop or my laptop, even with my FW/AV running resident, as well.

The one or two times I've needed tech support from them, I found them to be pretty knowledgeable and helpful, so (assuming it ISN'T MBAM causing your problem), you might wish to try contacting Carbonite support.

Best regards,

daledoc1

PS My desktop also happens to run McAfee (OEM "2009" versions from Dell), and I've not noticed any issues. While the 2010 McAfee versions are clearly much buggier than the 2009, I haven't seen anything at the McAfee forums about conflicts with Carbonite.

I can't say it is not updating. Just when it does a scan it lockes my computer. To the point that I have to to shut if off with the power button. I don't like doing that since my experience says it causes other boot problems. Still looking for the silver bullet.

Terry

One other thing. Several times now when I run a Flash scan with Malewarebytes, which will run without crashing the system, I find these 2 files in my Quarantine Tab (see the attache screen capture). I have deleted them and they come back. Could my problem be related to this?

Terry

post-20705-1278386908_thumb.jpg

Those two detections are quite normal when you have McAfee installed. They simply indicate that the monitoring of your antivirus and firewally by Windows Security Center has been disabled. McAfee deliberately disables these settings because it monitors itself with its own built in Security Center type application and they do not want users to be annoyed by duplicate notifications. As such, since you have McAfee installed, you should have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware ignore those two detections.

My latest version of McAfee does not let me add programs to exlude from the built in firewall that are not .exe files. So I was not able to add the following. I was not able to manually type them in either.

<snip>

I hope that helps. If you have any idea on how to add .dll, .sys and .ref files to that list let me know.

Thanks,

Terry

You are right -- I don't think the consumer products allow one to set specific file exclusions, only program permissions. So, I don't think you can add the dll, sys and ref files. (Yes, McAfee has stripped many useful features from their consumer products over the past few years.)

That said, I've never had a problem with the program permissions, so it ought not to be necessary to add those specific files -- If I click "allow" when prompted after installing MBAM (or other program), and then I check in the firewall settings to be sure, everything is always correct. (I wish I could say the same for my Webroot security suite on my laptop, which is much, much twitchier, especially when it comes to other security apps.)

Anyway, I don't know your system specs (OS, hardware) or software versions ("2010" McAfee or not), so what works for me may not work for you, but you might want to see if there's something else affecting your system.

If both McAfee and MBAM are locking up on the same file, but both apps are otherwise working OK, could it not be a corrupt file or other problem?

Would it be worth running a disk check or system file check?

(Caveat: I'm NOT a computer expert, just another, self-taught home user.)

Well, I'll leave you to the experts.

Hope they get you back up and running OK,

daledoc1

PS I do NOT have those 2 entries in my Quarantine and I never had to set them to "Ignore". This might relate to the version of McAfee software you are running (is it the 2010 versions)? But even though the 2009 versions DO integrate with Windows Security Center and Windows FW, I've never seen those detections. Weird.