Ant Dude

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\cmd.exe?

Hi.

I haven't scanned my old updated, Windows XP Pro. SP3 box for like a month or so, but it found Security.Hijack with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\cmd.exe.

Is this legit? It never reported this before as well.

Log showed:

Registry Keys Infected:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\cmd.exe (Security.Hijack) -> No action taken. [EE9C7B6A5059ED6C94F35BE836EE9043]

SuperAntiSpyware v4.40.1002 with the latest definitions say my system was clean.

Thank you in advance. :)

That would prevent cmd from running and instead send commands bound for cmd to a different exe.

This could be by design so if you can, get me a full export of that key.

That would prevent cmd from running and instead send commands bound for cmd to a different exe.

This could be by design so if you can, get me a full export of that key.

There was not in this registry key. :)

FYI the manually saved log with mbam.exe /developer:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4271

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.5512

7/3/2010 9:24:36 AM

mbam-log-2010-07-03 (09-24-36).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|F:\|G:\|H:\|I:\|)

Objects scanned: 256022

Time elapsed: 52 minute(s), 48 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 1

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\cmd.exe (Security.Hijack) -> No action taken. [EE9C7B6A5059ED6C94F35BE836EE9043]

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

There was not in this registry key...
Oops, I meant to say "There was notHING in this registry key...

Start cmd.exe (click start, run, type cmd and press enter). If command prompt is functioning normally then removing this will not affect anything. If nothing happens (and this is not desired) removing this will fix the problem. If something other than a command prompt opens (and this is desired) then set this to ignore.

IMO the most likely case here is that something was infected in the past and another scanner removed all but this trace.

Start cmd.exe (click start, run, type cmd and press enter). If command prompt is functioning normally then removing this will not affect anything. If nothing happens (and this is not desired) removing this will fix the problem. If something other than a command prompt opens (and this is desired) then set this to ignore.

IMO the most likely case here is that something was infected in the past and another scanner removed all but this trace.

I quarantined it and tested it. It seems OK. I will keep it quaratined.

I did have an infection many years ago. I had AntiMalware (free) and used many times for scanning for a year or so? Shortcut says it was created on 10/1/2009. I cannot remember if I had older versions before it too (did upgrades make uninstall and reinstall to make new shortcuts?). Did MBAM add something new for this specific left over infection or something?

We have many hundreds of these actually. This key can be used to block (divert) any executable with a static file name and execute a different executable instead. Malware uses these keys to block antimalware tools from running.

The other trick is to use this key to trigger reinfection whenever certain executables are run.

We have many hundreds of these actually. This key can be used to block (divert) any executable with a static file name and execute a different executable instead. Malware uses these keys to block antimalware tools from running.

The other trick is to use this key to trigger reinfection whenever certain executables are run.

Interesting. What was the default on a clean XP Pro. SP3 system? Was that registry non-existent?

It is not default. If it was we would have many millions of FP reports for this :P.

It is not default. If it was we would have many millions of FP reports for this :P.
Thanks all! :) Just wanted to be sure it was legit or FP. :P

Strange, this came back again when I did a full scan in the latest MBAM (with its program updates). I need to figure out what is making this registry key return. I still use some old Windows programs from the late 1990s and early 2000s.