Loss of dispaly colors after scan

Hello... this is my first post so please excuse any newbie mistakes.

i've come to this forum because my problem started after i had completed a Malwarebytes scan on my computer about 2 weeks ago. My system lost color. i'm now looking at a monochrome greenishbluish tint on my screen. No white.. no yellow... a splash of pink,i guess thats supposed to be red. My OS is XP Professional....IBM Vista. Feels like i'm looking at my screen through sunglasses. Oh yes, the scan showed no infections. This color change appeared right after i closed the log and the program.

Here's what i've eliminated as the possible problem...

Monitor, Cables, Connections, Drivers, Video Card.

Unfortunately i've had a problem with Malwarebytes before sometime in March or April right after the scan completed, different computer. IE would not load.. i ended up having to do a total reinstall. This time i had hoped you would be able to help resolve this issue before having to go to such lengths. It appears to me that the somhow the default colors have either been replaced or removed. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :D

Hi -

You have confused me with this statement

My OS is XP Professional....IBM Vista.

Please follow the directions below first - Then we can look at your other problems -

To Fully Remove and Reinstall a Fresh New Copy of Malwarebytes - Read Carefully

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version only -

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version only

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now reset any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Thank You - :D

Here's what i've eliminated as the possible problem...

Monitor, Cables, Connections, Drivers, Video Card.

Hello and :D

Sorry to hear you are having problems. Not sure Malwarebytes can cause this issue, it could just be a coincident that it happened at the same time you ran the scan....

A little more info would be good....

1. Did you have an infection? Can you supple a log of what was removed?

2. How did you eliminate the above items. Did you try using a different monitor, or use the monitor in question on a different computer to test it?

3. Is this a desktop or laptop? Sounds like its a desktop (sorry some folks call the screen on a laptop a monitor also)

4. Are you using Windows XP or are you using Windows Vista.

Lets get those answered so we can try to help you better.

Hello and thank you for the welcome,

In answer to your questions...

1. No i did not have an infection. It was just a routine scan i do on my system. J ust checking to make sure everything was as it should be.

2. Since i have more than one computer i was able to test the monitor and system by switching out the monitors. The monitors worked fine but the computer gave the same result on both monitors. Green Green Green.

3. Desktop

4. Windows XP Professional

• Root Admin

Please run the following scans and post back the information.

STEP 01

Download
DDS
and save it to your desktop

Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop

• Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

STEP 02

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from
    here

• Save
    Autoruns.exe
    to your desktop and double-click it to run it.

• Once it starts, please press the
    Esc
    key on your keyboard.

• Now that scanning is stopped, click on the
    Options
    button at the top of the program and select
    Verify Code Signatures

• Once that's done press the
    F5
    key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.

• When it's finished, please click on the
    File
    Save
    and save the
    Autoruns.arn
    file to your desktop and close
    Autoruns

• Right click on the
    Autoruns.arn
    file on your desktop and hover your mouse over
    Send To
    and select
    Compressed (zipped) Folder

• Attach the
    Autoruns.zip
    folder you just created to your next reply

STEP 03

Provide System Specifications:

• Please download
    Speccy
    from
    here
    and save the installer to your desktop or another location where you can easily find it.

• Double-click the file to begin installation and follow the onscreen steps to complete the installation and make sure that the checkbox next to
    Run Speccy
    is checked before you click on
    Finish
    at the end.

• Once the program starts it will analyze your system, please be patient as it may take a few moments to complete.

• Once it finishes and none of the areas say
    Analyzing
    click on the
    File
    button at the top and select
    Save Snapshot...

• Save the file to your desktop and click
    Ok
    to confirm

• Go to your desktop and right click on the file you just created and hover over
    Send to
    and select

• Please attach the zip file you just created to your next post

STEP 01

Download
DDS

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

STEP 02

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Save
    Autoruns.exe

Esc
    key on your keyboard.

Options
    Verify Code Signatures

F5

File
    Save
    and save the
    Autoruns.arn
    Autoruns

• Right click on the
    Autoruns.arn
    Send To
    and select

• Attach the
    Autoruns.zip

STEP 03

• Please download
    Speccy
    from
    and save the installer to your desktop or another location where you can easily find it.

• Double-click the file to begin installation and follow the onscreen steps to complete the installation and make sure that the checkbox next to
    Run Speccy
    Finish
    at the end.

• Once the program starts it will analyze your system, please be patient as it may take a few moments to complete.

Analyzing
    click on the
    File
    Save Snapshot...

Ok
    to confirm

• Go to your desktop and right click on the file you just created and hover over
    Send to
    and select

Thanks in advance for all your help. I'm attaching the zip files for all the scans you requested. Hope this helps.

Speccyhelp.zip

AutoRuns.zip

Attach.zip

DDS.zip

Hi, condi:

The experts here will help you out, and I am just a home user, but your thread about "green screen" caught my eye relating to a thread I just spotted at another forum.

Not sure at all if this even applies to your situation, but here is the link, just in case:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.ph...8&t=1929983 (post #2 talks about "green screen" issues with Flash and FF).

regards,

daledoc1

• Root Admin

STEP 01

Have you checked to make sure no pins on the VGA connector are bent or broken?

STEP 02

Have you tried plugging the monitor into another computer and does it work okay or not?

STEP 03

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.

[*]Click on OK

[*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

STEP 04

This should be your Video card: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/inte...b/cs-009072.htm

Release notes: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/9033/ENG/relnotes.htm

Your driver version is: 6.14.10.3943 which appears to date before: November 24, 2004

The most current version appears to be: June 29, 2005 Version 14.10.3.4342

This LINK should download the latest driver from Intel

That is not what we need. We need you to please run the exact steps provided and then post back the logs otherwise we're not going to be able to assist you.

We're just a little off with our response timing. i just answered Firefox question first. i've finished the scans and posted the zip files. :)

We're just a little off with our response timing. i just answered Firefox question first. i've finished the scans and posted the zip files. :)

I'll review what i've done again but at this point i don't understand what else it is you want me to do. i installed the software, ran the scans and posted the zip files. :)

STEP 01

Have you checked to make sure no pins on the VGA connector are bent or broken?

STEP 02

Have you tried plugging the monitor into another computer and does it work okay or not?

STEP 03

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.

[*]Click on OK

[*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

STEP 04

This should be your Video card: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/inte...b/cs-009072.htm

Release notes: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/9033/ENG/relnotes.htm

Your driver version is: 6.14.10.3943 which appears to date before: November 24, 2004

The most current version appears to be: June 29, 2005 Version 14.10.3.4342

This LINK should download the latest driver from Intel

Response to questions 1. and 2. Yes.

I've installed the registry backup software and backed up my registry.

I've updated my video drivers. Unfortunately there was no change in display colors... sigh.

Hi, condi:

The experts here will help you out, and I am just a home user, but your thread about "green screen" caught my eye relating to a thread I just spotted at another forum.

Not sure at all if this even applies to your situation, but here is the link, just in case:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.ph...8&t=1929983 (post #2 talks about "green screen" issues with Flash and FF).

regards,

daledoc1

Hi daledoc1. Love Terriers. Thanks for the reference. i'm just a home user too but i do my best to try and maintain everything on my own. :)

I see that you have posted your logs, and also updated your video drivers to the version that AdvancedSetup has asked you too. If you are still getting the green screen, then we need to look at other posibilites.

You can try the steps that daledoc1 provided you in reference to Flash, it would not hurt to try.....

I don't remember if you have mentioned this or not, so I will ask, when you first turn on the computer and you get your BIOS info on the screen (computer logo) or if you are in Windows Command Prompt only, or safe mode, do you also have a green screen? How about if you boot from a Bootable Rescue CD, is the display also Green?

I myself think that it is a hardware problem with your video card. I know you said you ran a diagnostic through device manager and it came back fine, but I don't tend to trust those test too much.

If you have the means, I would try replacing the video card with another one, and install the drivers for it and see what you get. I work in a shop and I have the means to do it as I have cards sitting on my shelf that help me for testing, I know this does you no good, but if you could find a card someplace to test. We have a local Good Will store that sells video cards starting at $7.95 maybe you can look so see if there are thrift stores available in your area where you can get one.

STEP 01

Download
DDS

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

STEP 02

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Save
    Autoruns.exe

Esc
    key on your keyboard.

Options
    Verify Code Signatures

F5

File
    Save
    and save the
    Autoruns.arn
    Autoruns

• Right click on the
    Autoruns.arn
    Send To
    and select

• Attach the
    Autoruns.zip

STEP 03

• Please download
    Speccy
    from

Run Speccy
    Finish
    at the end.

Analyzing
    click on the
    File
    Save Snapshot...

Ok
    to confirm

Send to
    and select

Here is my second attempt at posting the requested scans.

DDS

DDS (Ver_10-03-17.01) - NTFSx86

Run by Tickles at 22:51:41.96 on Fri 07/02/2010

Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18702

Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600.3.1252.1.1033.18.510.190 [GMT -4:00]

AV: avast! Antivirus *On-access scanning enabled* (Updated) {7591DB91-41F0-48A3-B128-1A293FD8233D}

FW: ZoneAlarm Firewall *enabled* {829BDA32-94B3-44F4-8446-F8FCFF809F8B}

============== Running Processes ===============

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k DcomLaunch

svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

svchost.exe

svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Motive\McciCMService.exe

C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k HTTPFilter

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smtray.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast5\avastUI.exe

C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Bumblebee\Desktop\dds.scr

============== Pseudo HJT Report ===============

uStart Page = about:blank

BHO: Adobe PDF Link Helper: {18df081c-e8ad-4283-a596-fa578c2ebdc3} - c:\program files\common files\adobe\acrobat\activex\AcroIEHelperShim.dll

BHO: KeyScramblerBHO Class: {2b9f5787-88a5-4945-90e7-c4b18563bc5e} - c:\program files\keyscrambler\KeyScramblerIE.dll

BHO: Java Plug-In 2 SSV Helper: {dbc80044-a445-435b-bc74-9c25c1c588a9} - c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll

BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class: {e7e6f031-17ce-4c07-bc86-eabfe594f69c} - c:\program files\java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll

uRun: [ctfmon.exe] c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe

mRun: [smapp] c:\program files\analog devices\soundmax\Smtray.exe

mRun: [igfxTray] c:\windows\system32\igfxtray.exe

mRun: [HotKeysCmds] c:\windows\system32\hkcmd.exe

mRun: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "c:\program files\adobe\reader 9.0\reader\Reader_sl.exe"

mRun: [Adobe ARM] "c:\program files\common files\adobe\arm\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"

mRun: [avast5] c:\progra~1\alwils~1\avast5\avastUI.exe /nogui

mRun: [ZoneAlarm Client] "c:\program files\zone labs\zonealarm\zlclient.exe"

mPolicies-system: DisableCAD = 1 (0x1)

IE: {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

IE: {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - c:\program files\messenger\msmsgs.exe

IE: {5C106A59-CC3C-4caa-81A4-6D909B5ACE23} - {B745F984-EF2E-40D6-A9AC-D8CED7230E61} - c:\program files\keyscrambler\KeyScramblerIE.dll

DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} - hxxp://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/director/sw.cab

DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} - hxxp://download.microsoft.com/download/E/5/6/E5611B10-0D6D-4117-8430-A67417AA88CD/LegitCheckControl.cab

DPF: {233C1507-6A77-46A4-9443-F871F945D258} - hxxp://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/director/sw.cab

DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} - hxxp://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1241187375610

DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} - hxxp://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1249824154796

DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_17-windows-i586.cab

DPF: {CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_17-windows-i586.cab

DPF: {E06E2E99-0AA1-11D4-ABA6-0060082AA75C} -

DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - hxxp://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab

Notify: igfxcui - igfxsrvc.dll

SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - c:\windows\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll

============= SERVICES / DRIVERS ===============

R1 aswSP;aswSP;c:\windows\system32\drivers\aswSP.sys [2009-8-4 165456]

R1 vsdatant;vsdatant;c:\windows\system32\vsdatant.sys [2009-8-4 532224]

R2 aswFsBlk;aswFsBlk;c:\windows\system32\drivers\aswFsBlk.sys [2009-8-4 17744]

R2 avast! Antivirus;avast! Antivirus;c:\program files\alwil software\avast5\AvastSvc.exe [2010-3-21 40384]

R2 vsmon;TrueVector Internet Monitor;c:\windows\system32\zonelabs\vsmon.exe -service --> c:\windows\system32\zonelabs\vsmon.exe -service [?]

R3 avast! Mail Scanner;avast! Mail Scanner;c:\program files\alwil software\avast5\AvastSvc.exe [2010-3-21 40384]

R3 avast! Web Scanner;avast! Web Scanner;c:\program files\alwil software\avast5\AvastSvc.exe [2010-3-21 40384]

R3 KeyScrambler;KeyScrambler;c:\windows\system32\drivers\keyscrambler.sys [2009-8-9 115312]

=============== Created Last 30 ================

2010-07-02 10:12:42 163840 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\igfxres.dll

2010-07-02 01:01:35 0 d-----w- c:\program files\Speccy

2010-07-02 00:00:05 38224 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

2010-07-02 00:00:01 20952 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\mbam.sys

2010-07-02 00:00:01 0 d-----w- c:\program files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

2010-06-30 17:36:59 38848 ----a-w- c:\windows\avastSS.scr

2010-06-25 19:54:14 664 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\d3d9caps.dat

2010-06-19 23:21:40 0 d-----w- C:\Intel

2010-06-13 21:22:13 743424 -c----w- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\iedvtool.dll

==================== Find3M ====================

2010-05-28 23:52:39 4212 ---ha-w- c:\windows\system32\zllictbl.dat

2010-05-26 17:03:22 1238528 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\zpeng25.dll

2010-05-06 10:41:53 916480 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\wininet.dll

2010-05-02 05:22:50 1851264 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\win32k.sys

2010-04-20 05:30:08 285696 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\atmfd.dll

2010-04-12 21:29:19 411368 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\deployJava1.dll

============= FINISH: 22:54:35.40 ===============

All other scans are zipped and attached.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attach.zip

AutoRuns.zip

Speccyhelp.zip

I see that you have posted your logs, and also updated your video drivers to the version that AdvancedSetup has asked you too. If you are still getting the green screen, then we need to look at other posibilites.

You can try the steps that daledoc1 provided you in reference to Flash, it would not hurt to try.....

I don't remember if you have mentioned this or not, so I will ask, when you first turn on the computer and you get your BIOS info on the screen (computer logo) or if you are in Windows Command Prompt only, or safe mode, do you also have a green screen? How about if you boot from a Bootable Rescue CD, is the display also Green?

I myself think that it is a hardware problem with your video card. I know you said you ran a diagnostic through device manager and it came back fine, but I don't tend to trust those test too much.

If you have the means, I would try replacing the video card with another one, and install the drivers for it and see what you get. I work in a shop and I have the means to do it as I have cards sitting on my shelf that help me for testing, I know this does you no good, but if you could find a card someplace to test. We have a local Good Will store that sells video cards starting at $7.95 maybe you can look so see if there are thrift stores available in your area where you can get one.

Hi Firefox. Apparently i didn't do something right and resubmitted my scans to Advancedsetup. I did take a look at daledoc1 suggestion but my system didn't require any changes. It was a good try though. As for the video card, you are right about the diagnostics being wrong sometimes and i have concidered that i just need to replace the video card. I do have a new one that i've never used and it is compatable with my current system. So if all else fails i'll try that. If that fails i guess its a reintall. :)

As for the Green Screen... Yes, i do see a green tint in safe mode and Bios info screen. I haven't tried from a boot disc because i haven't had any problems with booting up. Didn't think about trouble shooting that way.

It just seems to me that a driver or drivers are missing or corrupted or i could restore the default color codes in the registry. i don't know. I first learned about using hexidecimal codes with windows 95. much easier to make the adjustments back then. i thought i could do the same with windows xp but apparently not. i'll just be patient and wait to see what AdvanceSetup can do and go from there.

Thanks for hanging in there with me. Initally this seemed like such a simple task.

[...]As for the video card, you are right about the diagnostics being wrong sometimes and i have concidered that i just need to replace the video card. I do have a new one that i've never used and it is compatable with my current system. So if all else fails i'll try that. If that fails i guess its a reintall. :)

Swapping out the video card is the FIRST thing I would have tried. :)

~Shy

Well if you are getting the green screen even in DOS (Bios screen) and in safe mode, then its more than likely that video card because both the Bios screen and the safe mode do not really use vidoe drives, it uses a generic driver built on to the card just to display in basic mode so you can see on the screen. But if you see green always then replace the video card....