What additional security software needed besides Anti-Malware?

Hi Coolpoolfool and welcome to Malwarebytes. Only one active antivirus running you can have more as backup scanners but running two at once is no good.

Many of infections can be avoided with an added layer of prevention. All recommended programs are free and easy on system resources. You should install them as part of your protection arsenal. Keep MBAM and Spybot Search & Destroy and always immunize SBS&D when you update. You will also need at least one other scanning program Asquared or SuperAntiSpyware are good and there are several other excellent programs with free and paid versions. Read the overviews of what each program below does so you have an understanding of their importance and how to use.

A firewall and antivirus are also essential. The Windows firewall in XP is not sufficient.

Preform Windows Updates monthly on the second Tuesday or use automatic updates, and use your scanners weekly at the least. Always update before you scan.

Keep other software known for vulnerabilities updated also. Use the Secunia Inspector free scan to identify risks in outdated versions.

SpywareBlaster from Javacool Software

WinPatrol by BillPStudios

SiteHound by FireTrust

RogueRemover

hpHosts

The windows firewall is not sufficient to protect. It doesn't monitor outgoing traffic and this is a must. I use and recommend Online Armor Free

Also the full protection of MBAM is offered at a very low price. Give it a trial using the link in my signature.

Hi Coolpoolfool and welcome to Malwarebytes. Only one active antivirus running you can have more as backup scanners but running two at once is no good.

Many of infections can be avoided with an added layer of prevention. All recommended programs are free and easy on system resources. You should install them as part of your protection arsenal. Keep MBAM and Spybot Search & Destroy and always immunize SBS&D when you update. You will also need at least one other scanning program Asquared or SuperAntiSpyware are good and there are several other excellent programs with free and paid versions. Read the overviews of what each program below does so you have an understanding of their importance and how to use.

A firewall and antivirus are also essential. The Windows firewall in XP is not sufficient.

Preform Windows Updates monthly on the second Tuesday or use automatic updates, and use your scanners weekly at the least. Always update before you scan.

Keep other software known for vulnerabilities updated also. Use the Secunia Inspector free scan to identify risks in outdated versions.

SpywareBlaster from Javacool Software

WinPatrol by BillPStudios

SiteHound by FireTrust

RogueRemover

hpHosts

The windows firewall is not sufficient to protect. It doesn't monitor outgoing traffic and this is a must. I use and recommend Online Armor Free

Also the full protection of MBAM is offered at a very low price. Give it a trial using the link in my signature.

A good and free AV would be Avira in my opinion, it has good detection rates and is easy on system resources. Comodo Boclean is another good freebie anti-malware/anti-trojan app that is light and works with just about every other security software on the market. If you're running Vista and not XP, I highly recommend Vista Firewall Control by Sphinx Software, it is extremely light on resources and enables outbound traffic monitoring. As far as everything else is concerned, I fully agree with Jean's endorsements, they are all great apps and I use many/most of them myself. Good luck and safe surfing.