database error

I'm getting "MBAM_ERROR_LOAD_DATABASE (0, 5)" When I try to run Malwarebytes for the first time.

I have read the FAQ's, I've added the exceptions to AVG 9 free (my antivirus software of choice) as per the instructions there to make sure it wasn't AVG interfering.

I have installed the manual database update as per instructions in the FAQ and I WAS able to run Malwarebytes with the old database (scan turned up nothing) But when I want to run the new version I get the above error again. ( this part of the FAQ is what I'm referring to: "You can also download a manual update from here - NOTE: This manual update will always be way behind in version level compared to updates from within the program")

I see the most common first attempt at a fix is uninstall/reinstall which brings me straight to the reason I ended up here in the first place--my add/remove programs will not populate a list. My computer also won't shut down without forcing it with the power button (ouch) Unfortunately these two functions are necessary for any other advice I find! How frustrating, eh?!!!!

I have no other reasons to believe I'm infected but obviously those two symptoms (add/remove and inability to shut down) make me suspicious enough to land me here.

Thoughts/advice?

(I run windows xp 64 bit and firefox, both up to date)

You can update the database, see Section A Issue #4 LOCATED HERE

Once you have updated using the above instructions, then run a quick scan see if you still come clean....

Thanks, I had seen that and considered it then promptly forgot about it. So now I have the updated database on this computer (emailed it to myself from hubby's computer which runs windows 7 while I run 64 bit xp--that doesn't matter does it?) BUT how do I "give it" to MB? You know? How do I get MB to see that I brought that over for it? :D:):D

you have to put the copy of the file in the right place like listed in the instructions:

ISSUE: I need to get the latest database onto a computer that cannot access the Internet.

SOLUTION: You can manually copy the database from a working computer using a flash drive or CD onto the infected PC. Our database file is stored in the following locations.

Windows XP and 2000

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

You can update the database, see Section A Issue #4 LOCATED HERE

Once you have updated using the above instructions, then run a quick scan see if you still come clean....

I totally knew that was gonna be a "duh" answer (but knowing that didn't help me :D )

Got it to work, it's scanning now--THANK YOU!!!!!! :):D :D

I am glad it worked for you, if you have any other issues or questions don't hesitate to ask.

Scan was clear this time too soooooo, I think I'm finally gonna try to rest assured that I'm not dealing with some ominous infection and instead dealing with some annoying OS problem (ugh)

Thanks again!