exceptions to IP ignore list.

I understand how this feature works and what its intent is I just don't know the best ways to use it. Regularly, when I am connected to the Internet but working on a non-Internet project, MWB will suddenly notify me that it has blocked several potentially dangerous IP addresses. I have no idea what sort of sites these addresses are point to. What is the likely source of these attempted automatic connections from my computer and should I add an exception for these addresses.

I doubt if my computer is infected since I use the latest versions of Kaspersky and have a licensed version of MalwareBytes both of which I run several times per week.

My practice to date is to add exceptions when these notifications come up immediately after I attempt to connect to a known safe site. Periodically I delete all of the exceptions and start over.

What is the recommended procedures on using the add exception feature?

Thanks Larry

Hi docweathers, and welcome to the forums here at Malwarebytes.org :)

Were you infected recently that you know of or think it may have been possible that you were infected?

Are you running any P2P apps (such as LimeWire, Vuze, BitTorrent, etcc...) in the background when these IP blocks occur?

As for the question at the end of your post, when using the IP/Website blocker feature, I recommend extreme caution when adding an IP to the exceptions list. You might want to post in the False Positives forum on this board to see if it is a False Positive. If it is not, you will at least be able to get some insight into why its being blocked.

As a side note, please use the "ADD REPLY" t_reply.gif button located at the bottom of the page when replying. Thank you :)

Hi docweathers -

The first thing is to read This Page to find the full workings of the protection unit and its features -

There is also an item to show how to allow a blocked site "Only if you trust it" -

I got an alert and I wasn't even surfing, how's does that happen?

There are many applications on your system which have access to the Net and any of these can trigger an IP alert with no browser open. Most common offenders are P2P applications and IM clients, often an ad will trigger an alert. An advanced or premium firewall will be able to give you a list of programs which can access the Net.

The idea behind the 'Exclusions' to your Antivirus is so the 2 work side by side - Your A/V may detect Malwarebytes as an intruder and 'block' its workings -

The pop up 'blockings' you are getting are due to installed programs with suspect sites - You may not use these very often , but they will still be inside your system -

Here are links to assist with Kaspersky: Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 Kaspersky Internet Security 2010

Any thing else you wish to know, or I have missed , please post back -

Thank You - :)

That was very helpful. What ever was triggering the spontaneous requests has stopped but MWB is still flagging when I go to some new and distant websites so it is working when needed.

Larry

Hi docweathers -

The first thing is to read This Page to find the full workings of the protection unit and its features -

There is also an item to show how to allow a blocked site "Only if you trust it" -

I got an alert and I wasn't even surfing, how's does that happen?

There are many applications on your system which have access to the Net and any of these can trigger an IP alert with no browser open. Most common offenders are P2P applications and IM clients, often an ad will trigger an alert. An advanced or premium firewall will be able to give you a list of programs which can access the Net.

The idea behind the 'Exclusions' to your Antivirus is so the 2 work side by side - Your A/V may detect Malwarebytes as an intruder and 'block' its workings -

The pop up 'blockings' you are getting are due to installed programs with suspect sites - You may not use these very often , but they will still be inside your system -

Here are links to assist with Kaspersky: Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 Kaspersky Internet Security 2010

Any thing else you wish to know, or I have missed , please post back -

Thank You - :D

docweathers,

I am glad that it has stopped for now but if it persists and you think you may be infected, please follow the directions below:

Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

Please note that it may take 48 hours or more for you to receive a response in the malware removal forum, as it is often busy at times. Please do not reply to your own post asking for help unless its been more than 48 hours since you originally posted, as this can make it appear as though you are being helped and take longer for you to get help.

If you are unable to do all or any of the steps in the link to the directions above, just post your problem into the forum I gave you a link to anyway and someone will be able to assist you.

Also, when replying, please use the "ADD REPLY" t_reply.gif button located at the bottom of the page, as this makes the forum easier to read.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Thank you :D

@ Rick S

To find if the IP is a "bad location" can take an internet search -

If you just do as above then there is no point in having any protection at all -

I usually Cut and Paste the IP into the browser window and do a quick search for , area , owner and other details available -

Once you have that you know if it is OK or not -

Read This Page to find how to quietly block the pop up notices and all other information needed for IP protection -

Thank You -