Fastscan takes hours

I used to be able to run a fastscan in minutes.. Now it takes hours. For the last 4 hours +- it has been scanning the Dir C:\Users\Dave\Appdata\local\temp\im\ which has tmp files in it. On a weird note.. I deleted the contents of that Dir and it still sits there scanning away at tmp files.. Over 33000 files scanned and Yes its still counting up. Does anyone have any idea whats going on? Win7 32 bit, Drive C is 150 Gig with about 19 Gig free. 2 other Drives present. (D: & E:)

This has been behaving this way for a few months. Ahh.. the scan just finished.. here's the basics of the report... The majority of the scan time (95%) was in the Dir mentioned above.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4246

Windows 6.1.7600

Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

6/27/2010 4:03:04 PM

mbam-log-2010-06-27 (16-03-04).txt

Scan type: Quick scan

Objects scanned: 141056

Time elapsed: 4 hour(s), 22 minute(s), 4 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

...On a weird note.. I deleted the contents of that Dir and it still sits there scanning away at tmp files..

When you say "the contents of that Dir"...what exactly did you delete?

Are you saying that the \...temp\im folder alone took 4 hours to scan?

Could you not have simply deleted all the temp files and then scanned?

Hi -

Please answer the question by Marcus so we can help with that issue first -

Next please use these cleaners and defrag tools -

To begin; With thanks to mountaintree16 (MBAM forum)

Download CCleaner Slim from here to clean temp files from your computer.

Double click on the ccsetup file to start the installation of the program.

Select your language and click OK, then click Next.

Read the license agreement and click I Agree.

Click Next to use the default install location. Click Install then click Finish to complete installation.

Double click the CCleaner shortcut on the desktop to start the program.

Click on the "Options" icon at the left side of the window, then click on "Advanced."

deselect "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours."

Click on the "Cleaner" icon on the left side of the window, then click Run Cleaner to run the program.

Caution: It is not recommended that you use the "Registry" feature unless you are very familiar with the registry as it has been known to find legitimate items for removal,

which can cause issues with other programs.

After CCleaner has completed its process, click Exit.

Additionally, BEFORE running CCleaner for the first time, check the Windows portion (first tab) to uncheck anything you do not wish to have cleared.

For example, you may not wish to have your Recycle Bin cleared.

Basically anything else in that tab is probably okay to clear, but again, please check it to make sure there is no other program you don't

want logs wiped from (in case you want to reference anything in the future, in that case you wouldn't want them wiped).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An added tool is ATF Cleaner - Can be used with CCleaner

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune (just click the link).

Please see this link here on how to use it:

http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=c...5&Itemid=25

Typically run CCleaner first and then ATF afterwards. But whatever you wish to do is fine of course

Next run your Defrag tool as you have overloaded drive C and it needs 10-15% free to defrag and will not heal itself -

Only scan one drive at a time and then get those results , then move to another drive -

Thank You - :)

When you say "the contents of that Dir"...what exactly did you delete?

Are you saying that the \...temp\im folder alone took 4 hours to scan?

Could you not have simply deleted all the temp files and then scanned?

When I saw what was happening I Aborted the scan. I then deleted the entire contents of that Dir. I restarted MB and it once again scanned .tmp files in that Dir even though the Dir was now empty. I did a search while the scan was running for one of the tmp files it was scanning and it came up.. Not Found. And yes 4 hrs in that one Dir. I know it doesnt make sense but thats what it was doing and has been doing...

Hi -

Please answer the question by Marcus so we can help with that issue first -

Next please use these cleaners and defrag tools -

To begin; With thanks to mountaintree16 (MBAM forum)

Download CCleaner Slim from here to clean temp files from your computer.

Double click on the ccsetup file to start the installation of the program.

Select your language and click OK, then click Next.

Read the license agreement and click I Agree.

Click Next to use the default install location. Click Install then click Finish to complete installation.

Double click the CCleaner shortcut on the desktop to start the program.

Click on the "Options" icon at the left side of the window, then click on "Advanced."

deselect "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours."

Click on the "Cleaner" icon on the left side of the window, then click Run Cleaner to run the program.

Caution: It is not recommended that you use the "Registry" feature unless you are very familiar with the registry as it has been known to find legitimate items for removal,

which can cause issues with other programs.

After CCleaner has completed its process, click Exit.

Additionally, BEFORE running CCleaner for the first time, check the Windows portion (first tab) to uncheck anything you do not wish to have cleared.

For example, you may not wish to have your Recycle Bin cleared.

Basically anything else in that tab is probably okay to clear, but again, please check it to make sure there is no other program you don't

want logs wiped from (in case you want to reference anything in the future, in that case you wouldn't want them wiped).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An added tool is ATF Cleaner - Can be used with CCleaner

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune (just click the link).

Please see this link here on how to use it:

http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=c...5&Itemid=25

Typically run CCleaner first and then ATF afterwards. But whatever you wish to do is fine of course

Next run your Defrag tool as you have overloaded drive C and it needs 10-15% free to defrag and will not heal itself -

Only scan one drive at a time and then get those results , then move to another drive -

Thank You - :D

Ran CCCleaner and had it remove everything that was the default. Ran ATF and it didnt find anything to remove. (I have not yet defragged.) Then ran MB Fastscan and it is currently in the Dir that is slowing it down and its scanning *.tmp files.. I did have a thought though. Any chance MB isn't compatible with Rollback RX? My Trashcan is empty yet I saw MB scan some files in there. Even though the path looks normal C:/Users/Dave/AppData... etc I'm wondering if its somehow scanning the Snapshots that Rollback makes and showing the files as being in their original location.. Not sure I'm being clear.. If thats the case then there is probably no solution. Scan will complete but it will just take hours.

Pease follow these steps to reinstall the program -

To Fully Remove and Reinstall a Fresh New Copy of Malwarebytes - Read Carefully

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version only

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now reset any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Thank You - :D

EDIT -

Please use the ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom of the page when replying -