HELP Jucheck.exe

;) I am not the most tech savy computer user and I was hoping I might get some honest advise from you good folks.

I keep getting this Jave update popping up and wanting me to install it. It is caller Jucheck.exe.

I googled it and some say it is a normal Java program by Sun that runs in background and checks for Java run enviroment updates.

Others say "Do not be fooled", It is a trojan virus that will destroy my computer.

I need some guidance. If it is a threat, how do I get rid of the constant prompt to install it?

I truly appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you,

Sitting Duck

Hello sitting duck! Welcome to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forums!

My name is Borislav and I will be glad to help you solve your problems with malware. Before we begin, please note the following:

• The process of cleaning your system may take some time, so please be patient.
  • Follow my instructions step by step if there is a problem somewhere, stop and tell me.
  • Stay with the topic until I tell you that your system is clean. Missing symptoms does not mean that everything is okay.
  • Instructions that I give are for your system only!
  • If you don't know or can't understand something please ask.
  • Do not install or uninstall any software or hardware, while work on.
  • Keep me informed about any changes.

Jucheck.exe is a part from Sun Java UpdateChecker Module. In general, the products of Sun (now part of Oracle), were very vulnerable, and because Java is very common, hackers targeting them precisely. There are many types of malware, using their vulnerabilities to take control of the system. Let us check, how is the situation with you

Now:

Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.

Download Mirror #1

Download Mirror #2

• Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:
    :filefind
    *Jucheck*

• Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.

Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

My name is Borislav and I will be glad to help you solve your problems with malware. Before we begin, please note the following:

• Follow my instructions step by step if there is a problem somewhere, stop and tell me.
  • Stay with the topic until I tell you that your system is clean. Missing symptoms does not mean that everything is okay.

Jucheck.exe is a part from Sun Java UpdateChecker Module. In general, the products of Sun (now part of Oracle), were very vulnerable, and because Java is very common, hackers targeting them precisely. There are many types of malware, using their vulnerabilities to take control of the system. Let us check, how is the situation with you

Now:

Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.

Download Mirror #1

Download Mirror #2

*Jucheck*

• When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.

Now:

Download Mirror #1

Download Mirror #2

*Jucheck*

Sorry, new at the "forum post" thing.

I appreciate your help.

I followed your instructions and this is the results of the scan.

SystemLook v1.0 by jpshortstuff (11.01.10)

Log created at 08:21 on 27/06/2010 by X (Administrator - Elevation successful)

No Context: filefind

No Context: *Jucheck*

-=End Of File=-

I guess this is a good thing.

I very installed the jucheck.exe. I just keep closing it. I want the prompt to stop. It pops up every time I turn on my computer and often during my sessions.

Sorry, new at the "forum post" thing.

I appreciate your help.

I followed your instructions and this is the results of the scan.

Log created at 08:21 on 27/06/2010 by X (Administrator - Elevation successful)

No Context: filefind

No Context: *Jucheck*

-=End Of File=-

I guess this is a good thing.

I very installed the jucheck.exe. I just keep closing it. I want the prompt to stop. It pops up every time I turn on my computer and often during my sessions.

I NEVER, not very), intalled the program. [missprint]

Try again, but this time use:

*jusched.exe*

Here are the results this time.

Log created at 09:09 on 27/06/2010 by X (Administrator - Elevation successful)

========== filefind ==========

Searching for "*jusched.exe*"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe --a--- 248040 bytes [18:43 18/02/2010] [18:43 18/02/2010] 52DB6CDAC5BC7A1FC884E97C41C91213

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe --a--- 172032 bytes [17:30 07/12/2009] [17:30 07/12/2009] 52A3DF9E3C34B1AD9E68141B52B5C2F0

-=End Of File=-

The first time you've given me the wrong name of the file.

Please upload the following files one by one in www.virustotal.com and post the resaults in your next reply:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe

The first time you've given me the wrong name of the file.

Please upload the following files one by one in www.virustotal.com and post the resaults in your next reply:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe

This time I entered

*jucheck.exe*

and here are the results

Log created at 09:43 on 27/06/2010 by X (Administrator - Elevation successful)

Searching for "*jucheck.exe*"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jucheck.exe --a--- 490728 bytes [18:43 18/02/2010] [18:43 18/02/2010] D4DDB8CF58103E8CE8E99101C467C979

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jucheck.exe --a--- 432128 bytes [17:30 07/12/2009] [17:30 07/12/2009] 5A3458D2F06187DAF77FBD1CBE144063

-=End Of File=-

The prompt is to install jucheck.exe not jusched.exe

This time I entered

*jucheck.exe*

and here are the results

Log created at 09:43 on 27/06/2010 by X (Administrator - Elevation successful)

Searching for "*jucheck.exe*"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jucheck.exe --a--- 490728 bytes [18:43 18/02/2010] [18:43 18/02/2010] D4DDB8CF58103E8CE8E99101C467C979

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jucheck.exe --a--- 432128 bytes [17:30 07/12/2009] [17:30 07/12/2009] 5A3458D2F06187DAF77FBD1CBE144063

-=End Of File=-

the content of your initial text box did not have the ".exe" after the *jucheck*

The prompt is to install jucheck.exe not jusched.exe

Okay, check these files.

Virustotal is a service that analyzes suspicious files and facilitates the quick detection of viruses, worms, trojans, and all kinds of malware detected by antivirus engines. More information...

File has already been analysed:

MD5: d4ddb8cf58103e8ce8e99101c467c979

First received: 2010.03.12 23:03:23 UTC

Date: 2010.06.19 07:10:55 UTC [>8D]

Results: 0/40

Permalink: analisis/1f5b039e3cf6f93345c67ff6aba3e6acb8be145b90ab6837784ede3527c0de79-1276931455

Virustotal is a service that analyzes suspicious files and facilitates the quick detection of viruses, worms, trojans, and all kinds of malware detected by antivirus engines. More information...

File has already been analysed:

MD5: d4ddb8cf58103e8ce8e99101c467c979

First received: 2010.03.12 23:03:23 UTC

Date: 2010.06.19 07:10:55 UTC [>8D]

Results: 0/40

Permalink: analisis/1f5b039e3cf6f93345c67ff6aba3e6acb8be145b90ab6837784ede3527c0de79-1276931455

The results above were for

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jucheck.exe

I followed the browse to fine both links below without success

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jucheck.exe

In the bin folder there were not any .exe files let alone ones that match the above files.

Please go into the Control Panel, Add/Remove and for now remove ALL versions of JAVA . Next, download and install the latest version of Java from:

www.java.com/en

Ok, I did not refresh my screen and I did not see your last post until now.

I will uninstall Java now and re-install latest version.