Purchased MWB not active in tray after reboot

Purchased Malwarebytes, running latest version. Have icon in system tray, protection on. However, if I restart the computer the protection service does not start and the icon in system tray is grey instead of red. I have tried waiting it out- no luck unless I manually restart by right-clicking icon, rechecking protection option. Does not matter if on a domain or not. Happens either way, even without a firewall in place.

This is a much bigger problem than the free version which did not auto-update. Now I have no protection at all unless I remember to restart the service manually each time I start up.

I need a resolution to this asap, please.

Thanks!

-Devora

Hi Devora -

As you do not list your Operating System or any Antivirus installed, I have included the full Un/Re install process to assist you -

Actually this only takes about 5-7 mins to perform, it takes longer to read it - Please post back if this has not helped -

To Fully Remove and Reinstall a Fresh New Copy of Malwarebytes - Read Carefully

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version only -

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version only

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now reset any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Thank You - :P

@agilebrainz

Did you install it under an administrator account and make sure that start protection module with Windows is checked off? in the interface?

What AntiVirus program are you using?

;)

@agilebrainz

Did you install it under an administrator account and make sure that start protection module with Windows is checked off? in the interface?

What AntiVirus program are you using?

;)

Yes, and yes. SEP v11 is Symantec Endpoint Protection. This only happens after a restart. Once enabled, it stays that way until the next restart.

Please use the "ADD REPLY" t_reply.gif button at the bottom of the page when replying ;)

I'm wondering if something deeper is going on here...

Please try the following to exclude Malwarebytes from your Symantec (I am going to give you a few links and directions and you can see what works for your particular Symantec).

For Most New Norton Products

Add exclusion to Auto-Protect and Risk scan

1 Start your Norton 2010 product.

2 In the Computer pane, click Settings.

3 Under Exclusions, next to Scan Exclusions, click Configure.

4 If you want to exclude a file from scan, under Scan Exclusions, click Add.

5 Browse and select the disk drive or folder or file you would like to exclude and click OK.

If you want to include subfolders within the folder, check Include Subfolders.

6 If you want to exclude a file from Auto-Protect, under Auto-Protect Exclusions, click Add.

7 Browse and select the disk drive or folder or file you would like to exclude and click OK.

If you want to include subfolders within the folder, check Include Subfolders.

8 Click Apply > OK

This link for AVG but can apply to most other AV products as well:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?a...&pid=167851

This link for Norton 360 but you still might find it useful:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?a...&pid=215158

If nothing there works, I suggest you contact one of the following email addresses for support and include your order number in your email:

Home User:

support@malwarebytes.org

Business or any other type of corporate user:

corporate-support@malwarebytes.org

I didn't really think it was anything to do with Symantec but I thought that that might help them get along anyway.

Sorry I couldn't really be helpful here :)

Please email one of the contacts that I gave to you :)

Let me clarify- Just realized my description was misleading-

The icon is in the system tray, but after every restart it is greyed out and enable protection is unchecked. You have to manually check it again to enable protection. It will stay enabled until the next restart, at which time it starts up unchecked again. That is b.s. There are no policies blocking it from running.

And, I already tried the complete uninstall with the tool, and reinstall, and that changed nothing, on two different machines.

I am not in a position to accept that there is no fix for this.

• Staff
Let me clarify- Just realized my description was misleading-

The icon is in the system tray, but after every restart it is greyed out and enable protection is unchecked. You have to manually check it again to enable protection. It will stay enabled until the next restart, at which time it starts up unchecked again. That is b.s. There are no policies blocking it from running.

And, I already tried the complete uninstall with the tool, and reinstall, and that changed nothing, on two different machines.

I am not in a position to accept that there is no fix for this.

Yes, it helps top provide clear concise information to get proper instructions. No one previously posting is at fault for fixes presented. So let's stay civil.

Please try the following:

Right-click the system tray icon and UNtick the following:

Enable Protection

Website Blocking

Start with Windows

Go to Protection tab and be sure the 'Start with windows' box is also UNticked.

Reboot the system, got to 'Protection' tab and tick the following options:

Start Protection module with Windows

Start file execution blocking when protection module starts

Start malicious website blocking when protection module starts

Reboot again, see if things work as they should.