Installer Feature request: Proper Start menu links

Greetings semifamous ;)

Thanks for the suggestions :o

Personally I always find it less cluttered if programs use their own folder instead of the top of the All Programs menu (although it does mean additional mousing/clicking) and I find it much more convenient to have the help file located in the program's Start>All Programs folder than to have to go into C:\Program Files\Program Name to get to it.

But to have a folder with just one useful icon is a waste of time.

It would be great if the program were where it should be on the start menu.

The Help file should come up when you open the program and click Help or hit F1. I don't need help unless I'm in the program, and then I want to hit F1 for help, which seems to be the standard that most programs use.

(And I am just now realizing that mbam doesn't have a help menu or option from within the program, and F1 does nothing. Oops.)

The uninstaller should be in Add/Remove Programs. It doesn't need to be on the start menu.

In Windows XP and older, when folders were at the top of the list of the Programs menu, putting things in a folder was a good idea. Now, it's not. I hate it. I always have to rearrange stuff to show up properly, and then, when I install an update, it creates another folder that doesn't belong there, at least according to Microsoft.

I realize that it's all personal preference and it doesn't matter in the long run, but I hope that at some point in the future, it gets changed to the way Microsoft says it's supposed to be.

Hello semifamous, and thanks for your comments.....

Help is found from within Malwarebytes....

With Malwarebytes Open, click on the About Tab and there you will see a Help button you can click on....

I don't know about your computer but all the ones I checked here on my end have the Malwarebytes program listed in the Add/Remove programs....

Not sure what you meant in the third section of you comments....

The Help file should come up when you open the program and click Help or hit F1. I don't need help unless I'm in the program, and then I want to hit F1 for help, which seems to be the standard that most programs use.

(And I am just now realizing that mbam doesn't have a help menu or option from within the program, and F1 does nothing. Oops.)

Many users aren't actually aware of most common keyboard shortcuts unfortunately, including F1, although I see your point and I don't think it would be a bad idea for the F1 option to be added to the program in the future.
In Windows XP and older, when folders were at the top of the list of the Programs menu, putting things in a folder was a good idea. Now, it's not. I hate it. I always have to rearrange stuff to show up properly, and then, when I install an update, it creates another folder that doesn't belong there, at least according to Microsoft.

I realize that it's all personal preference and it doesn't matter in the long run, but I hope that at some point in the future, it gets changed to the way Microsoft says it's supposed to be.

Yes, but we still fully support Windows XP and unlike some other vendors, use a single installer for all versions of Windows (including x64, not just 2000, XP, Vista and 7) and that likely has a lot to do with it as well. That's not to invalidate your points either though, so please don't take it as such. I'm big on aesthetics myself and often find myself customizing the icons and folders in the Start>All Programs menu quite frequently, along with the programs pinned to the Start Menu, Quick Launch, Desktop etc.

I believe at least part of the reason the "Uninstall" option is presented in several places has to do with the fact that we do not use an Windows Installer package, but instead use InnoSetup. We do have an entry in Add/Remove Programs/Programs and Features, but there is also an uninstaller in the program folder, with a link to that uninstaller in the Start Menu.

This isn't to say that these things won't change in the future, they absolutely could, I'm not one of the developers so I can't speak for them, I'm simply giving the reasons that I believe it currently works the way it does. MS has changed many standards lately, and we do adhere to many of them under the hood with regards to Vista and 7, but the Start Menu is likely low on the list of priorities right now.

Again, it may indeed be changed in a future version to comply with newer Windows versions, only time will tell.

Anyway, thank you very much for all of the information and the suggestions, they are appreciated. If you have any additional notes, comments, or suggestions please post them. We are always looking for more user feedback so that we can improve our products for our users :D.