Desktop CPU Speeds up to 100% at idle

Hi Guys,

After disinfecting my Compaq sff desktop successfully thru the Help section, the one major problem still remaining is that according to Sysmetric ( http://www.xymantix.com/sysmetrix/ ) the CPU spikes to 100% and the HDD or DvD drive whirs up to takeoff speed. It's kinda scary, 'cause I don't want it to self-destruct on me as I've heard that could be a possibility. Any help in figuring out how to rein back control would be appreciated. :welcome:

Please give some more info, like system specs, operating system, ram, versions....

Also what help section helped you, and did you have malware or viruses on your computer?

The help I rec'd was via email from Malwarebytes (Tom M.) and it was one of those fake AV's.

The machine runs XP sp3 on a Pentium 4 @3.00GHz with 1.49 Gb RAM. It's a HP Compac SFF Desktop.

did you install and update Malwarebytes and then run a quick scan to make sure you are still not infected.

Also have you added exceptions to your anti-virus and firewall settings to exclude the malwarebytes files?

Malwarebytes is up-to-date and scans come out clean - no exceptions.

CPU and disc speed up and slow down at random.

I would run some diagnostics tools on the computer. Also, since its a desktop, how is the inside look, is it dusty, are all cooling fans working up to speed, any obstructions on the air flow?

PS: Please use the "ADDREPLY" t_reply.gif button instead of other ones when you start replying. :P

It's fairly clean inside. What sort of diagnostics tools? I already ran driver checker and have been looking at registry fixers but don't hold out much hope.

Like I say, Sysmetrix reports 100% CPU at the same time as the drive speeding up or am I mistaking the whir of one of the cooling fans?

The whirl can be a cooling fan, wire rubbing on one of the fans, a CD in the CD ROM drive, or the hard drive.

The diagnostics you need to run, are Hard drive diagnostics (you can get the tool from your hard drive manufacture), motherboard, memory, etc. A good tool to use for some of these is Hirens boot CD for example.