Should I drop Google for Malwarebytes - advice please ?

Hi, Ive just had a problem with an AV Security issue that Norton couldnt get rid of, or even identify !!

I spoke to their support staff and they give me a load of bull about it being my fault and as I had infected my PC myself the virus was now showing as a friendly file and thats why Norton couldnt identify it.

However I found this site and downloaded the software and lo and behold it found it and deleted it and Im clean again.

So my question is not why cant Norton identify it but if I was to purchase the full version of Malwarebytes would I get a better level of protection or is there areas Id be missing out on? For example, would Malwarebytes have stopped AV in the first place?

Sorry if the above is a stupid question but Im not an expert on anti virus softwares and all I want is a software that I can just run in the background and it will keep my computer clean.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi, Ive just had a problem with an AV Security issue that Norton couldnt get rid of, or even identify !!

I spoke to their support staff and they give me a load of bull about it being my fault and as I had infected my PC myself the virus was now showing as a friendly file and thats why Norton couldnt identify it.

However I found this site and downloaded the software and lo and behold it found it and deleted it and Im clean again.

So my question is not why cant Norton identify it but if I was to purchase the full version of Malwarebytes would I get a better level of protection or is there areas Id be missing out on? For example, would Malwarebytes have stopped AV in the first place?

Sorry if the above is a stupid question but Im not an expert on anti virus softwares and all I want is a software that I can just run in the background and it will keep my computer clean.

Cheers,

Mick

Mick,

MalwareBytes is not a AV program. So you need to use it, paid, or free, WITH a AV program like Norton, McAfee, AVG, etc.. There are reputable FREE versions of AV programs available if money is a problem. A Google search will provide names of such.

~Shy

I am NOT an employee of MalwareBytes.

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes....

First things first, I am glad that Malwarebytes was able to help you get your computer clean.

Second and to answer your question, Malwarebytes is not really an anti-virus program, it is designed to work hand in hand with your anti-virus program. It will give you a second layer of protection and help so that you do not get infected. It usually catches what your Anti-Virus software misses.

The info that you got from whoever you talked (support staff) to is not entirely correct. Just because their software was not able to detect the virus does not mean it is your fault. Malware and viruses have a tendency of hiding from being detected.

Buying Malwarebytes full version would be a good idea, its not expensive and its a lifetime license and you get free support wheather you buy it or not. Well worth the price.

Should you buy the full version there are steps that you will have to take to exclude Malwarebytes files from conflicting with your anti-virus software. (For example here are the exception instructions for Norton 360 Located Here

Hope this answers your question.

but if I was to purchase the full version of Malwarebytes would I get a better level of protection or is there areas Id be missing out on? For example, would Malwarebytes have stopped AV in the first place?

Hello Footybits: YES you would i.e. real-time protection which in most cases would block execution of these rouges

The following are my recommendations for antivirus protection along with links to downloads for them (free trials for those that require a purchase so you can try them before deciding):

Note: If you decide to use one of the trial versions of one of the paid antiviruses then you will either need to purchase it or uninstall it completely and install a replacement antivirus before the trial expires so that your PC is not left unprotected.

MSE Downloads:

Definitions Installers:

Note: if installing the definitions in Windows Vista or Windows 7 you MUST right click the definitions installer and select Run as administrator and click Continue at the User Account Control prompt.

Hi, many thanks for the replies, theyre appreciated.

Still a little bit undecided about whether it would work as a stand alone as theres a couple of differing answers, however, to be on the safe side Im binning Norton, buying the full version of Malwarebytes and using it in tandem with the "Microsoft Security Essentials" as listed in mountainree16s reply.

Is there anything I need to be aware of running these two together, i.e, do I need to configure the Microsoft set up to recognise Malwarebyte?

Hello Footybits,

Is there anything I need to be aware of running these two together, i.e, do I need to configure the Microsoft set up to recognise Malwarebyte?

Yes, and you may refer the post about adding exclusions for MSE step by step at the FAQ topic HERE.

Please post back if you have further questions.

Thank you ;)

Hi, many thanks for the replies, theyre appreciated.

Still a little bit undecided about whether it would work as a stand alone as theres a couple of differing answers, however, to be on the safe side Im binning Norton, buying the full version of Malwarebytes and using it in tandem with the "Microsoft Security Essentials" as listed in mountainree16s reply.

The biggest thing you need to be aware of is that NO application is going to keep you completely safe. Since you are sitting in front of the computer and controlling the mouse, you are the last line of defense for your computer.

The one thing I didn't see mentioned in this thread is about pop-ups. Many people are getting infected by pop-ups that appear on screen. Some are ads and some of them will suggest that you have 583 viruses and you must click on the box to clean. They are lying to you. If you click on that box in any way, they will install their rogue software - even if you click on the X in the upper right corner. You must close the box using your taskbar. You will see a box for the pop-up in your taskbar so right click on it and choose the option to close.

Rogue pop-ups can occur on any site, not just the ones you might consider "bad".

One antivirus application that I didn't see suggested is AVG. I like it, it's easy to use and it's free.

Good luck to you! ;)

ShineCC

AVG has become a bit bloated and not as good as it once was. :P

MBAM Full has an excellent Website Blocking feature.

We'll have to agree to disagree on AVG. :P

It doesn't matter how good a blocking program is, things will still get through and people can't just rely on technology to keep them safe. I work with a lot of clients and while for some of us being careful online is second nature, it is definitely not that way for everyone. I work really hard to educate people rather than just doing it for them but it is not always possible. We have a whole generation for whom computers are not intuitive and are actually a bit frightening until they find someone patient enough to help them.

No matter how good a program is at blocking it will always be one step behind those who want to do harm to your computer.

The OP didn't sound like he was well versed in computer protection so reminding him that he is a part of the equation while he's online was important. An ounce of protection is worth a pound of cure.