Tooltip balloon

I have just purchased Malwarebytes Pro. I have gotten it to do the automatic updates with the scheduler. In the schedule, I have the "show tooltip balloon after successful update" enabled but it doesn't work. I know I can put my mouse over the taskbar icon and it will show the database number plus the date it was updated but why doesn't the balloon work? I use Firefox 3.6.3, could it be blocking it as a popup? Is there something I haven't configured correctly? Thanks for your time.

Greetings Kathy100 ;)

Are you using Windows 7? If so then please do the following:

• Right-click on your taskbar and select Propterties
  • Under Notification area click on the Customize button
  • Scroll down the list until you find the red M Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware icon and click the drop down menu to the righ of it and select either Only show notifications or Show icon and notifications

Please let me know if the issue is now resolved.

Thank you.

Greetings Kathy100 ;)

Are you using Windows 7? If so then please do the following:

• Right-click on your taskbar and select Propterties
  • Under Notification area click on the Customize button
  • Scroll down the list until you find the red M Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware icon and click the drop down menu to the righ of it and select either Only show notifications or Show icon and notifications

Please let me know if the issue is now resolved.

Thank you.

I'm sorry that I failed to mention my operating system. I use Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2.

Hello again ;)

Please do the following:

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.

[*]Click on OK

[*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

Create a Reg File:

• Please copy and paste the following text exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    "EnableBalloonTips"=dword:00000001

Press Enter twice on your keyboard to insert 2 blank lines at the bottom of the text file

• Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...
  • In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file Fix.reg (the .reg extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it.

I also highly recommend that you install Service Pack 3. Service pack 2 is very outdated and soon will no longer receive patches or security updates from Microsoft:

Keep your system updated:

Microsoft releases patches for Windows and other products regularly:

• I advise you visit Microsoft Update
  • Install the Active X
  • Once installed it will recommend that you turn on Automatic Updates if not set and you then you will be able to manually check for updates also via:
  • Start >> All Programs >> Microsoft Updates
  • Install any critical updates that are available then reboot when it asks you to
  • Return to the site again to check for more updates and install them
  • Repeat this process until it says there are no important updates to install

Please let me know if the issue is now fixed or not. Also, when responding, please use the ADDREPLY button so that the entire previous post is not quoted. This makes it much easier to follow and read.

Thank you.

Is the fix you gave me suppose to turn on the balloon tips for Windows as a whole? If so, I failed to mention that all of my other programs update balloons work as they should. I had been using the free version before I purchased it. I had wondered if maybe I needed to do a complete uninstall and then use the Malwarebytes cleanup utility and then start over. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that but I've learned over the years that sometimes it best to do it regardless. I tried it the way you suggested and the registry editor said that I had to import binary files from within the registry editor. While I was in there, I did a search for balloontips for Malwarebytes and it wasn't there but I didn't dare import it as it suggested. I've worked with computers for many years and have edited the registry, etc. but I've never imported anything into it so I'm very green when it comes to that. I appreciate all your help! I hope I haven't offended you by being lazy and not doing the re-installation first . I just didn't want to mess up the schedule that is working unless I had to. Thanks again for your help.

No problem. I understand your apprehension, and yes, that reg file would simply turn on balloontips in Windows by setting it to its default setting. If you do get balloon tip notifications from other programs then that isn't the problem and it must be specific to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware itself.

Please do me a favor, open MBAM and access the Scheduler and click on the scheduled update you have set in the list of scheduled items and make sure that when you do, it already has the Show tooltip balloon after successful update. item checked. The reason I'm asking you do do this is because the way the scheduler currently works, you cannot edit an existing scheduled item to change how it works (ie create a scheduled update and add it, then check the box next to balloon tips). If it's not checked you'd have to delete the existing scheduled update and create a new one, checking the balloon tip option before adding it.

Ok, I have uninstalled, ran the mbclean utility and it looks like the tooltip balloon may be working. After the manual update, I had a popup in the middle of my screen telling me it had updated to the 4215 database which I had not been getting before. Now, I'm waiting on my scheduler to see if it's working correctly. I thought I had set it up as before. I used the instructions that is recommended on this forum but I can't find any logs showing where it has checked for an update. Before I uninstalled, there would be logs and it would state "update failed" when there wasn't any and when there was, it would state Update successful. It is saving the protection logs. It may be working but from the trouble I had getting it to work before I uninstalled it, I can't help but wonder. Oh well, I'll just keep waiting.

I created a new schedule and put it in Realtime updates. Now the schedule is working but the Tooltip balloon isn't working now and the show tooltip balloon after sucessful update is checked. It just downloaded database version 4216 but there wasn't a tooltip balloon to tell me. If I hadn't noticed the activity on my modem and then checked my taskbar icon, I wouldn't have known it. Apparently, both will not work at the same time on this computer. Oh well. Guess I'll just have to place my cursor over the taskbar icon to see what & when the last update was.

Kathy100

Please read exile360's comments

I also highly recommend that you install Service Pack 3. Service pack 2 is very outdated and soon will no longer receive patches or security updates from Microsoft:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...st&p=269211

Go to Control Panel then Automatic Updates then select Automatic (recommended) or at least Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.

Go to Secunia Online Software Inspector then run it to see what other applications are vulnerable:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online

Ok, it has never worked then. The only notification I have received about any updates was in the middle of my screen. I wondered then why it was there and not above the taskbar icon like all the other programs. Thanks for clarifying this for me. I had thought about asking if that was the correct one but I didn't. I don't want to make a pest of myself any more especially when the program is doing what it's suppose to do that matters. I can get by without the notification if I have to. I'm the type of person that doesn't give up easily. When I have computer problems, it bugs me until I get it resolved or until I HAVE to give up. This looks like the "have to give up" time. Thanks everyone for your time and suggestions. Sorry I made such a pest of myself over a silly little notification. :P

YoKenny1, I know I should install Service Pack 3. In fact, I have downloaded it and it has been waiting on me for some time. I have read and heard of so many people having so many problems with it and that's why I haven't installed it yet. I know the time will come when I will HAVE to if I haven't yet. I will probably break down and do it soon.

Yes, I keep Malwarebytes and my virus programs updated. It's just that I've read that Service Pack 3 has been causing so many problems with other programs for some people and that has made me put it off. Would Service Pack 3 help my balloon tip problem?

I actually have an idea that may fix the balloon tip problem, but I warn you, it will require a bit of work on your part, including editing the registry (something you already expressed a desire not to do). I understand you're concerned about the risks, and it certainly can be risky, but that's what that ERUNT program I was going to have you run is actually for, it creates a complete backup of your registry so you can restore it back to the way it was before changes were made if needed.

If you would like to proceed, just let me know and I'll walk you through it. If not, I understand, such tasks can be intimidating.

exile360, I'm game for doing anything with instructions. I fool with my registry anytime that it's needed but not without making a backup first. I was just a little nervous about importing as it was telling me I needed to do, because I had never tried it before and I didn't want to do it without instructions first. If I had tried it without them, my luck as the old saying goes, If anything's going to happen, it will happen to me. Once I learn, no problem. I apologize for forgetting to tell you, I use ERUNT and LOVE it. I've been hooked on this program for several years. It is so much better than the system restore feature of Windows. Don't worry about this intimidating me. I LOVE working on computers. I just wish I knew more so I could do more. That's why I don't give up easily when I have a computer problem. Feel free to give me all the instructions you wish and thank you for your help!

Just to add, I work on computers for a living and have been doing it for over 25 years. I install SP3 many times too, and have done it hundreds of times. I have really never had problems installing it, and in most cases it improved system performance. The only time I have encountered problems is usually when someone brings me a PC that does not have a valid copy of windows. It will not install if it fails authentication.

Other than that, I think it would be a good idea to upgrade to the latest service pack, then do updates again to catch up with all current updates.

Hello again :welcome:

Importing a reg file is actually the same as manually editing the registry, it's just a way of making sure that you change the setting you want. Since you've already indicated that the tooltip option for Windows is set to 1 we can skip that part and move on to my next idea:

First do a backup with ERUNT, this will ensure that we can put things back the way they were before making changes if we wish to.

This will remove the "SchedulerQue" setting in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, meaning all scheduled scans and updates will be deleted. I'm having you do this because I've seen at least 2 other incidents in the past where this problem existed, and this fixed it.

Option 1:

Create a Reg File:

• Please copy and paste the following text exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware]
    "SchedulerQueue"=-

Press Enter twice on your keyboard to insert 2 blank lines at the bottom of the text file

• Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...
  • In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file Fix.reg (the .reg extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it.

Now, restart your computer (this is important to make sure that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware loads with the new settings).

After that, open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and confirm that there are absolutely no scheduled scans or updates any more and create your scheduled update, making sure that you check the box next to Show tooltip balloon after successful update. before you click on the Add button.

Now, just wait for a scheduled update to happen to test and make sure that it is now working properly.

OR:

Option 2:

If you wish to do so manually and you're comfortable enough with it you can delete the value manually using Regedit:

Remove a Startup Entry from the Registry:

• Click on Start and select Run
  • In the Run box type regedit and press Enter or click on OK
  • Navigate to the following location by clicking the little arrows next to the appropriate folders to expand them: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE
  • Once there, scroll down until you find the folder called Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click once on it to highlight it.
  • Look at the entries listed to the right and right click on the following entry and select Delete:

• SchedulerQue

[*]Confirm that you want to delete the value

[*]Close Regedit

Now, restart your computer (this is important to make sure that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware loads with the new settings).

After that, open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and confirm that there are absolutely no scheduled scans or updates any more and create your scheduled update, making sure that you check the box next to Show tooltip balloon after successful update. before you click on the Add button.

Now, just wait for a scheduled update to happen to test and make sure that it is now working properly.