Restoring Hosts file?

franki

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It won't, no. The only time you're ever likely to actually need the DNS client, is if you're on a corporate network. Otherwise, it's actually an unneeded service.

You can also enable/disable the DNS client thru HOSTSMAN itself via TOOLS / OPTIONS / SYSTEM in the newer versions. ;)

~Shy

i disabled my dns client and the internet worked fine but my Microsoft Security Essentials stopped working properly. It was the darndest thing. It turned red and it would not let me "enable" it or even update it. I wonder why disabling the DNS client caused my MSE to stop working? I re-enabled my dns client and now it works fine.

I'm stumped.

Definately a bit strange as MSE doesn't actually need the DNS client service to function (it's disabled on all machines I look after (friends and family), and MSE works just fine). The only suggestion I've got if you do want to disable it, is to try re-installing MSE after disabling the DNS client, I'll get in touch with Microsoft about it in the meantime.

Definately a bit strange as MSE doesn't actually need the DNS client service to function (it's disabled on all machines I look after (friends and family), and MSE works just fine). The only suggestion I've got if you do want to disable it, is to try re-installing MSE after disabling the DNS client, I'll get in touch with Microsoft about it in the meantime.

i might try that at a later date. it seems to be running pretty good right now with the dns client enabled. i might just leave well enough alone. i spent 3 hours the last time i messed up the hosts file trying to get my internet connection back.

@MysteryFCM

Well I just updated my HOSTS file & when I picked overwrite it went MUCH faster BUT I lost my exclusions (at least I didn't see my exclusions list when I clicked #Disabled) :welcome: I did save a back up prior to the update (But it appears to be of my ENTIRE HOSTS file, not just my exclusions), so I opened that from within the HostsMan editor after update and it seems that my exclusions have been restored but I am probably back to the HOSTS file I had prior to updating just now.

It seems that I need to choose "merge with current hosts" in order to keep my exclusions list or manually add them each week when I update (which would be a PITA tbh) unless I am doing something wrong :/

That's alright. No need to apologize!

It's not your fault at all! :welcome:

I'm just glad that I remembered to save a backup.

I dunno how many exclusions I have, but its enough where it would be a giant PITA to add them all again each time I updated. But it would also be nice to be able to have the HOSTS file fully update (remove URL's that are no longer listed for blockage, things like that).

Cool, thanks :welcome:

For now I'll just update it again and choose "merge". I'm in no hurry. Just as long as it's protecting me and I can get to the sites I have excluded I am a happy camper :) I am checking out the forums too btw.

Okay, just a little update here... I updated & clicked "merge" (only one update showed this time after I had 6 earlier tonight) and I do NOT see my exclusions list but I can still go to said excluded sites and they work fine.

Not sure how or why that might be happening?

Its just nice to be able to see my exclusions list, especially if something is there that shouldn't be that might have been added accidentally.

Hi everyone. My name is Rui Loureiro and I'm the developer of HostsMan.

If I understand correctly, you guys want to know if Exclusion List works the same way, whether "Overwrite" or "Merge" is selected. The answer is yes.

The only difference between "Merge" and "Overwrite" is that in "Merge", HostsMan merges all the updates with the current hosts file. "Overwrite" ignores the current hosts file.

Cheers,

Rui

Thank you Rui for stopping by! :P

I love HostsMan, it is awesome and I've been using it for about 6 months now.

Just a quick question for you if you have some time. Last time I updated, I used "overwrite" instead of "merge" (like I have been the the last 6 months) and then when I went to Edit hosts and clicked #Disabled. my exclusions list was gone. Prior to doing this, I had saved a backup. I put that in there, and I saw my list again.

Then I updated one more time and chose "merge" and I did not see my list but I was able to go to and see my excluded sites.

So my question for you then is there a way that I'd be able to get my exclusion list back so that I can see the sites in the list? I just don't like not being able to see them because I won't know exactly what is in there and just in case something is there that I don't want I'd like to be able to see that.

Thanks for your reply, Rui :P

I'm not at my computer right now but tonight when I am I'll get you a screen shot so you know what I mean, because I am not entirely sure how to describe it.

As far as I know, under "Open Hosts" (or Edit, I can't remember exactly) and then when you click #Disabled, the list that shows up is one's exclusion list.