Rundll32.exe Missing

eurs84

I recently (somehow) got the virus loaded through "Defense Center." When I looked up how to remove it from my desktop, it stated to download malwarebytes.

I downloaded the program, and through safemode, I scanned and deleted all the files as instructed. I have rebooted my computer since, and now I cannot use ANY progams on my laptop (which is where the problem occurred.)

I looked for C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache, and that too was missing. I tried to download rundll32.exe to replace the current one that appears but does not work, and it cannot be replaced.

Task manager is missing, and does not register on my laptop.

CMD (as some sources say to use, which I don't know what that is) also does not work.

All programs on my computer are looking for a "set association," and only brings up IE.

The .exe file is on my computer, but my computer does not recognize the file. Something like the Host Process is not available. I NEED someone to help me with this. I don't know what else to do. My antivirus doesn't work either. I'm totally freaking out.

In the attached ZIP archive is a Registry Export that should resolve the issue. You will need to extract the Registry Export file from the ZIP archive, copy it to the broken computer, and then double-click on it. This should cause it to be imported into regedit. If regedit fails to launch (which is possible), then there are other ways of doing this (such as via command line if you can start your computer in Safe Mode With Command Prompt, or via batch files if they still work).

exefile_fix.zip

In the attached ZIP archive is a Registry Export that should resolve the issue. You will need to extract the Registry Export file from the ZIP archive, copy it to the broken computer, and then double-click on it. This should cause it to be imported into regedit. If regedit fails to launch (which is possible), then there are other ways of doing this (such as via command line if you can start your computer in Safe Mode With Command Prompt, or via batch files if they still work).

I tried both ways, and I get the same Registry Editor Error: Cannot import C:\Windows\system32\exefile_fix.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes.

What should I do now?

Do you have a Windows XP disk, a spare working computer with Windows XP or newer, and a blank CD? If so, then you can build a UBCD4Win disk that will contain a utility that can access the Windows System Restore and restore from a previous restore point.

Please follow this link to go to the UBCD4Win download page, and download and install UBCD4Win. After installing it, follow the instructions at this link to create the UBCD4Win disk.

Once you have created your UBCD4Win disk, you will need to start your broken computer up off of this disk. Once the desktop loads (note that it does take a long time to get to this point), you will be able to click the 'Start' button, and go to 'Programs', "Registry Tools", "Registry Restore Wizard" (see screenshot below). Once you have the Registry Restore Wizard open, you will be able to restore your computer's registry to a backup from a date before it got infected.

ubcd4win_registry_restore_wizard.png

Do you have a Windows XP disk, a spare working computer with Windows XP or newer, and a blank CD? If so, then you can build a UBCD4Win disk that will contain a utility that can access the Windows System Restore and restore from a previous restore point.

Please follow this link to go to the UBCD4Win download page, and download and install UBCD4Win. After installing it, follow the instructions at this link to create the UBCD4Win disk.

Once you have created your UBCD4Win disk, you will need to start your broken computer up off of this disk. Once the desktop loads (note that it does take a long time to get to this point), you will be able to click the 'Start' button, and go to 'Programs', "Registry Tools", "Registry Restore Wizard" (see screenshot below). Once you have the Registry Restore Wizard open, you will be able to restore your computer's registry to a backup from a date before it got infected.

ubcd4win_registry_restore_wizard.png

will this reset my entire computer? or just make it accessible again?