Avast! Free & Malwarebytes Pro

I have been trying to use Malwarebytes Pro and Avast! Free together on a Windows Vista 64-bit OS, which works fine if my computer has been on for some time. If I tell MBAM Pro to start with windows, as soon as MBAM starts up, my computer slows to almost a complete stop. I try disabling everything except the file-execution blocking ((Thats the only part I need)), but that doesn't seem to help at all. Someone please tell me what I need to do to get my MBAM Pro to work with Avast! Free :P

There is not a known conflict with Avast free at this time - I hope it is updated to V5 -

You could try another free A/V like Microsoft Security Essentials or add exclusions to Avast -

These are the exclusions to add with a 64bit Vista -

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Please post back and let us know how it went - Thank You - :P

There is not a known conflict with Avast free at this time - I hope it is updated to V5 -

You could try another free A/V like Microsoft Security Essentials or add exclusions to Avast -

These are the exclusions to add with a 64bit Vista -

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Please post back and let us know how it went - Thank You - :P

Thanks for the reply, seems to work better now. Startup is still a nightmare, but after about 5 minutes the computer settles down and goes back down to about 5% and there are no problems from then on.

Thanks for the reply, seems to work better now. Startup is still a nightmare, but after about 5 minutes the computer settles down and goes back down to about 5% and there are no problems from then on.

And sorry yes, my Avast! Is up to date.

Welcome Riadon

I have avast! V5 with MBAM Pro running on Windows 7 64bit and they work great together.

I have not needed Spybot S&D since using MBAM Pro and I do not need Threatfire, Firefox 3.6, Keyscrambler, SUPERAntiSpyware, Hitman Pro, nor Dr.web Cure it!

Why I chose Windows 7:

Top Windows 7 Features That Vista Should Have Had

In order to really understand the importance of Windows 7, we've got to go back in time a bit and take the whole of Microsoft's work into account. For those of you old enough to remember Y2K and that underground bunker you built in order to stay safe, you're probably old enough to remember Windows ME. It's almost impossible to argue that ME was Microsoft's biggest gaffe in terms of operating systems; ME barely lasted on the market, and Windows XP ushered in what the company's real next generation OS should've been. It was a monumental leap from Windows 98; driver issues suddenly vanished (for the most part), productivity shot up and consumers/corporations alike flocked to upgrade.
http://hothardware.com/articles/Top-Ten-Windows-7-Features-That-Should-Have-Been-In-Vista

Welcome Riadon

I have avast! V5 with MBAM Pro running on Windows 7 64bit and they work great together.

I have not needed Spybot S&D since using MBAM Pro and I do not need Threatfire, Firefox 3.6, Keyscrambler, SUPERAntiSpyware, Hitman Pro, nor Dr.web Cure it!

Why I chose Windows 7:

Top Windows 7 Features That Vista Should Have Had http://hothardware.com/articles/Top-Ten-Windows-7-Features-That-Should-Have-Been-In-Vista

Yeah I admit its a bit of an overkill, I mainly have all of this stuff because I like to use P2P alot.

• 3 weeks later...

I just recently updated Avast to v5 (paid, for the first time, not free) on my Win XP SP3 box and it still seems to work well with MBAM apart from at startup, which takes several minutes from the point when the wallpaper appears, largely due to mbamservice.exe consuming huge amounts of CPU. The Avast system tray icon displays a yellow exclamation mark until mbamservice has finished doing whatever it is doing.

I haven't added any mbam exclusions to Avast because it's not clear to me where to do it in the Avast UI. I see there are instructions for other AV products in the FAQ but not for Avast. Since the issue of co-existence with AV software is no important, could instructions be added for Avast please?

Hi Andy -

I would visit the Avast forum for full details - YoKenny1 spends a bit of time there and can guide you , or just ask a general question -

We only publish general exclusions for most (as you have found now)- I will leave the list and you can come back later to add them -

The full list is here in case others want it also (I know yours is XP) -

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For Windows Vista or Windows 7

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Andy

Are you using avast! Pro or Internet Security?

I use avast! Pro on my XP Pro system and I notice that the avast! system tray icon displays a yellow exclamation mark until mbamservice has finished doing whatever it is doing but I do not worry about it as long as it changes into the little a with the orange background. :)

Are you using avast! Pro or Internet Security?

I've posted on the Avast forum now:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=61253.0

and that was the first question there too - I'm using Avast Internet Security, sorry for the confusion. I hadn't appreciated that the paid version was actually called something different. Sig duly amended (and for MBAM too).

Yes, everything sorts itself out in the end; my concern is over how long it takes to do so, and the amount of resource that mbamservice is consuming in the meantime, and I'm wondering if it's because I haven't excluded the necessary MBAM files from Avast's consideration (because I don't know how to do so).

Have a look at Soluto:

http://www.soluto.com

In the avast! forum your sky.com email address is visable for spammers and scammers to use so go to PROFILE there then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.

I'll be responding in the avast! forum.

Have a look at Soluto:

http://www.soluto.com

I did - interesting, but weird. It looks at first like Soluto is the name of the software - so I thought, why are they offering it for download if it's still in beta? Then I read a bit of the site and figured aha, it's vapourware, you can download the beta but they're still finalizing the real thing. Then I thought, maybe Soluto Beta is a companion product. Then I clicked download and found the actual product is called Soluto Beta, and (presumably) it isn't in beta at all. Sheesh. Killer technology it may be, but these people all appear to be software prodigies, so of all people they must know the significance of the term "beta". What on Earth were they thinking of?

Andy, I could be mistaken, but I'm under the impression that Soluto is the name of the software, and that it's at times referred to as Soluto Beta because it still is in beta. When you download and install the program, it's called Soluto, not Soluto Beta, if I recall correctly. Sometimes when a version has reached a pretty stable state, a program may be offered for download even though it's still in beta.