Reformat problem

Glebe

So, about 2 days ago, I got a Java Pop Up randomly while playing some counterstrike. No big deal, Kinda figured it was probably something malicious but didn't take immediate action. Then, My computer froze so I restarted and It got to the desktop and gave me some LCASS error. now I can't even get to the desktop it just stops after bios screen and tells me NLTDR is missing, press ctrl alt delete to restart..ok. Then I try to Reformat with SP1 disk, bunch of missing files on the reformat disk...alright.. so I go to an unopened, un used SP3 dell reinstall OS disk..it even has files missing and at the end I just get a blue screen of death..what the f is going on?

-Dylan

lcass.exe - Lcass.exe is W32.Cassel.

W32.Cassel is a worm that copies itself to removable drives and opens a back door on the compromised computer.

This is an infection you have picked up somewhere - Your system is now under threat -

As we don't work on Malware removal or diagnostics in the general forums please follow these directions -

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post - Please allow at least 48 hours for a reply as the experts can get busy at times -

Also add a brief note to the experts as to your problems -

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

Always use the ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom of the page when you reply -

Thank You - :P

Great -

Glad you got it fixed - This can also mean a few faulty or missing files - :P

Now make sure you update it to XP SP2, Then XP SP3 for a full compliment of updates -

Any missing drivers post back and we can try to help you find them -Check Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager -

Hello :P

Please do the following:

Provide System Specifications:

• Please download Speccy from here and save the installer to your desktop or another location where you can easily find it.
  • Double-click the file to begin installation and follow the onscreen steps to complete the installation and make sure that the checkbox next to Run Speccy is checked before you click on Finish at the end.
  • Once the program starts it will analyze your system, please be patient as it may take a few moments to complete.
  • Once it finishes and none of the areas say Analyzing click on the File button at the top and select Save Snapshot...
  • Save the file to your desktop and click Ok to confirm
  • Go to your desktop and right click on the file you just created and hover over Send to and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Please attach the zip file you just created to your next post

I should be able to tell based on the log what sound driver your system needs and assist you in installing it.