Mbam 1.46 performance issue

Hey all, I have a question. I recently purchased the pro version, of this fabulous software and the detection is great. I have one issue though. My system has gotten alot slower since isntalling it. I use google chrome and it opens up so slow and the system responsiveness has just decreased. I deactivated MBAM and restarted and the system was back to normal.

My specs are

Amd Athlon x630 X4 Clocked at 3.01

Corsair 4gb ram pc2 6400

Windows 7 Home Premium

As you can see, my system is very capable of handling this simple program.

has anybody experienced this issue?

P.s. I temporarily installed Microsoft Security Essentials + Threatfire and even with two apps my system is much more responsive.

Thank you for replies.

Hi -

Please add these exclusions to your A/V and the Firewall

For Windows Vista or Windows 7

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Thank You -

Thank you for you quick reply. However this didnt help. I only have ONE antivirus and thats malwarebytes, I only installed MSE to TEST! its gone now. I use the windows 7 firewall. Its not blocking it at all.

To clarify: the only antivirus solution I use when I experience issues is malwarebytes pro and windows 7 firewall

Greetings :P

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is not an antivirus solution, it is an anti-malware software designed to detect only the threats that most antivirus softwares miss, fail to remove or both. As such we always recommend that our users have an up to date anti-virus installed on their systems at all times along with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware so that there are no gaps in their protection.

As for your performance issue, I may be able to assist you. Please do the following:

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here and save it to your desktop.
    • Note: If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 then you also need to do the following:
      1. Right-click on Autoruns.exe and select Properties
      2. Click on the Compatibility tab
      3. Under Privilege Level check the box next to Run this program as an administrator
      4. Click on Apply then click OK

[*]Double-click Autoruns.exe to run it.

[*]Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.

[*]Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures so that it is now checked

[*]Click on the Options button again and this time uncheck Hide Microsoft and Windows Entries

[*]Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.

[*]When it's finished and says Ready. on the lower left of the program window, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.

[*]Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder

[*]Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

So you say MBAM is not meant to run alone? How odd, everybody on practically every forum uses it as a standalone program. (pro version w/ protection module enabled) I myself ran tests on a virtual box with MBAM PRO as a standalone. I used 20 malicious links and it blocked every single one. So im very impressed atm

AutoRuns.zip

Hello again :P

Yes, that is correct. It is not meant to be a standalone product, it is meant to simply catch what most antiviruses miss. It is powerful and has an excellent database, but is not meant to cover the majority of infections out there, just the newest, nastiest ones. The malicious website blocker is excellent, but legitimate websites get hacked and exploited all the time, something our IP blocker cannot defend against.

Please open delete the Autoruns.arn and Autoruns.zip files from your desktop then do the following:

• Click on Options and uncheck Hide Microsoft and Windows Entries
  • Press F5 on your keyboard and wait for scanning to complete
  • Save the resulting Autoruns.arn file and zip and attach it to your next post

Delete Autostart Entries Using Autoruns:

Please open Autoruns.exe again and allow it to perform its scan. Once it finishes please proceed with the following:

• Click on the Drivers tab and right click each of the following entries and select Delete:

• cpuz130
    • hitmanpro35 Note: Only remove this entry if Hitman Pro is no longer installed.

[*]Once that is complete, restart your computer.

Please let me know if that improved things at all.

I'd leave rdclip in place. It's one of the default Windows entries and doesn't use any resources.

I'm glad that seems to have helped a bit. I'm also thinking it could be PunkBuster causing the CPU spikes in MBAM but whether you wish to disable that or not is up to you. If you do a lot of gaming with games that use it then you'll want to leave it alone.

If you do wish to disable it do the following:

Disable a Service on Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and type services.msc and press Enter
  • Click Continue at the User Account Control prompt
  • Once the Services window opens, scroll down the list until you find the PnkBstrA and double click on it
  • Click the Stop button to stop the service from running, then click the drop down menu next to Startup Type and select Disabled
  • Click the Apply button and click on Ok
  • Close the Services control panel

If you chose to disable it please let me know if things are better now.