Malwarebytes freezes when I run FileASSASSIN

Hi wells5150 -

What type of file are you trying to remove -

Is it an infected file or just a file you want to delete -

Thank you - :P

Old files. About 6 or so, different location.Video files - *.flv; avi

All them individually scanned - no virus. HijackThis also freezes.

Hi -

Your C.A. may stop access to some programs, but we will pass that - CCleaner is 100% free -

In the meantime click on CCleaner in my signature for a quick link - Also ATF cleaner - Both are very good and should be a 'staple' on computers -

With thanks to mountaintree16 for this -

Download CCleaner Slim from here or my signature to clean temp files from your computer.

Double click on the ccsetup file to start the installation of the program.

Select your language and click OK, then click Next.

Read the license agreement and click I Agree.

Click Next to use the default install location. Click Install then click Finish to complete installation.

Double click the CCleaner shortcut on the desktop to start the program.

Click on the "Options" icon at the left side of the window, then click on "Advanced."

deselect "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours."

Click on the "Cleaner" icon on the left side of the window, then click Analyse to see the items being removed Run Cleaner to run the program.

Caution: It is not recommended that you use the "Registry" feature unless you are very familiar with the registry as it has been known to find legitimate items for removal,

which can cause issues with other programs.

After CCleaner has completed its process, click Exit.

Additionally, BEFORE running CCleaner for the first time, check the Windows portion (first tab) to uncheck anything you do not wish to have cleared.

For example, you may not wish to have your Recycle Bin cleared.

Basically anything else in that tab is probably okay to clear, but again, please check it to make sure there is no other program you don't

want logs wiped from (in case you want to reference anything in the future, in that case you wouldn't want them wiped).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune (just click the link) or link is in my signature -

Please see this link here on how to use it:

http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=c...5&Itemid=25

Typically I run CCleaner first and then ATF afterwards. But whatever you wish to do is fine of course

Let me know when you've finished that and then we can move onto a few more things I have in mind.

Now try the File Assin section and post any results - If you get a Freeze again restart and repost here -

I will be here for a while - 1.00 pm in Australia and I have a fairly quiet day ahead -

EDIT - also update MBAM - Version 4119 is current now -

Catch you later if you are going -

Thank You - :)

I will run FileAssassin and let you know.

Can't update. I have uninstalled, cleaned, reinstalled, downloaded & installed other software , run scans all night.

That's part of the reason that got me this far:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=53535

posted 10 JUN

My error reads:

MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING (122, 0, MultiByte To WideChar)

The data area passed to a system call is too small.

An email to

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9573, I have run this.

what a mess

CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30

When you return please copy and paste this in Start > Run Box > Close all open programs (like this one) > Click OK

It will shut down your system then restart with a full 5 stage check - Do not worry if this takes an hour or so (usual 30-45 mins) depending on content -

When it is finished tell me if it repaired any disc errors - You may have a problem in there -

EDIT - Don't worry , if you have the patience to see it through then so do we -

Also follow these instructions for C.A unless already done -

CA 2010

Open 'My Internet' section.

If so open that up and click 'View Settings'.

Look for 'Identity Protection'

Scroll down to 'Trusted and Untrusted Sites'

Paste in the following:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Tick 'Trusted Site-always allow'

Click 'Add'

Click 'Apply' and reboot

See if that helps

-------------------

In CA ISS 2007 and 2008:

Open the CA Personal Firewall GUI;

Click the 'Privacy' icon;

On the tab: "Internet Browser Protection", click the "Manage Sites" button;

In the 'manage sites' dialog box, click "Add";

In the 'URL' field, paste this URL:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

In each tab of that dialog box, make sure that no boxes are checked;

Click OK;

On the 'manage sites' dialog box, click 'Close";

Close CA Personal Firewall GUI.

2007 Identity Protection:

Open GUI

Click 'Privacy' button

On the left side, click 'Manage Sites' button

At the top right side, add the following url:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Click 'Ok' close software

@ wells5150 -

If disc check and C.A. exclusions have not improved any operation of Updates or File assassin then you may still have an infection present -

You do not need constant pop ups etc for an infection to be hidden in your system -

Please follow these directions if the feature is still unable to run and you still have Updating problems -

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post - Please allow at least 48 hours for a reply as the experts can get busy at times -

Also add a brief note to the experts as to your problems -

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

Always use the ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom of the page when you reply -

Current is Version 4202 just to be sure you have the latest - Your C.A was blocking your updates -

Thanks - :)

EDIT - Your thread in the HiJackThis area has responses to it that you have not replied to -

Note to your helper that the update problem is fixed and take it from there - He knows a lot more than I do -

Once you are finished there then please post back here -

Regards - :)