sandi149

Firefox Shuts Down When Options are Clicked

Well then it has to be either DATA somewhere in your original profile typically in one of these locations.

C:\Documents and Settings\sandi\Application Data

or

C:\Documents and Settings\sandi\Local Settings\Application Data

Or one or more entries in your REGISTRY profile. In either case you would need to find ALL the data or registry entries that are ONLY in those locations that affect your original profile and remove all of those entries. There is something that is not being removed from your profile when you do the removal, and it could be either DATA or REGISTRY items. By checking the other accounts and a new one you have CONFIRMED that it is an isolated issue that only affects your profile. So none of the common DATA or REGISTRY locations are affected.

You need to really closely review those file locations for ANYTHING related to Mozilla (but be careful if you're using the e-mail client, you don't want to delete your mail, but hopefully you're using another mail solution), and delete the data related to Mozilla.

Also look in the Registry while logged in as SANDI using REGEDIT and under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER often most keys are under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software but it is possible that there is some other location for Mozilla under HKEY_CURRENT_USER

NOTE!! - Make sure you backup your Registry BEFORE removing any entries just in case you make a mistake. Also create a NEW restore point

Once all that data is found and removed then FireFox should work just fine on your profile as well.

If you just can not find the data or registry entry that is at fault then it's up to you, but you could just migrate over and start using this new Windows XP user profile you setup.

When I look into those two areas (Application Data), do I look for any file with the name mozilla or firefox?

Also, how do I backup the registry and I forgot how to do a system restore point.

Yes in the folders look for both Firefox and Mozilla (but only under those locations) and as long as you're not using Freebird from Mozilla for your e-mail then delete any folders with Mozilla or Firefox in them.

For backing up the Registry you can use this: ERUNT - The Emergency Recovery Utility NT

ERUNT and NTREGOPT Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Ok, thanks Advanced Setup....it's going to be a very busy weekend so I won't be able to do that stuff until Monday.