Firefox Shuts Down When Options are Clicked

sandi149

So what is not doing what there? But another look through your logs posted. A corruption in a Firefox Tools menu item, causing Firefox to crash when you try to access the Tools template. So a Firefox Add-on corruption. Sorta like detective work here.

Open Hijackthis.

Click "View the list of backups".

A list of the entries that have been removed using HijackThis will show in the display. Check each of the following entries, then click the Restore button, and close HijackThis.

backup-20080524-175057-779 O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin\ssv.dll (file missing)

Reboot after and check for improvement. I admit if that worked it would be quite a stretch, but it does tie in in some "treatas" and other registry value settings.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The association between that and extensions in the registry ("TreatAs") seem to link to one key Firefox extension identifier. Let's look at that, but also locate all the google folder extensions to delete.

Please locate, zip and upload or email attach a copy of the following hilighted folder.

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0005-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

And go to Start > Run and type:

cmd.exe

and ok. Copy and paste the below string after the prompt >

dir /s /a:d "c:\3112ca9c-de6d-4884-a869-9855de68056c*" > c:\find.txt & start notepad c:\find.txt

Your drive will be scanned and when finished, Notepad will pop up with some information. Copy and paste it in this thread.

A reason for all these ongoing efforts is that the flat out solution is to remove Firefox, only keeping some unique personal data items, like bookmarks and perhaps the dictionary change files. Then reinstall and return those. But this will impact all the users there, and I can tell by some of the folder looks so far some of the users there would have quite a bit of personal selections and changes to recreate after. An unpopular option, I would think, to resolve this one glitch.

Ok, here's the log....wasn't much of a log though.

Volume in drive C has no label.

Volume Serial Number is 50CE-3C98

And in the cmd prompt box it said file not found.

With regard to that other file. I don't see that exact one. I do see two that are named.

CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0002-ABCDEFFEDCBA

CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0006-ABCDEFFEDCBA

Do you want me to zip those two up and send them?

I got that first number from your earlier logs, so had expected it's folders to be there now. Yes, send along those two files, but also discuss with the others there you will be removing Firefox to make the needed repairs. Better saving personal settings be limited, to avoid you just reinstalling into a corruption situation over and over.

Each of the users there will have their own Firefox profile folder, like yours in these examples (the user name is hilighted):

C:\Documents and Settings\Sandi\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\gh4p514o.default

C:\Documents and Settings\Sandi\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\kkq2lwzk.Sandi New Profile

Each will have different profile names, for example one of yours is gh4p514o.default.

And in those folders they will need to copy to another location these two files - their bookmarks, and their dictionary settings (for spellchecker - good idea from Advanced Setup):

bookmarks.html

persdict.dat

They should copy these to a location they can locate later, after FF is completely removed, and the a new one installed there. I will check what you send along but go ahead and start those file saves now as well.

Ok, here are those two zipped files. The other users don't have any bookmarks in firefox. All my bookmarks are in IE and I can just transfer those over to firefox again. So should I just go to add/remove programs and uninstall firefox? Do I have to manually remove any folders that go along with it as well?

_CAFEEFAC_0016_0000_0002_ABCDEFFEDCBA_.zip

_CAFEEFAC_0016_0000_0006_ABCDEFFEDCBA_.zip

_CAFEEFAC_0016_0000_0002_ABCDEFFEDCBA_.zip

_CAFEEFAC_0016_0000_0006_ABCDEFFEDCBA_.zip

Those were the folders I wanted. Only reference the info for a Java console extension, but again there it also would be part of the Tools menu that is causing these errors.

Yes, close all open browsers and windows/programs. Then do a normal uninstall of Firefox.

After that completes, delete these folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Mozilla Firefox

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox

C:\Windows\Prefetch

Then delete this hilighted folder in each of the different user's folders as well - this example is the one in your "Sandi" user folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\Sandi\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox (not the Mozilla folder - just the Firefox one)

Then go to Start - Run, type cleanmgr (and OK), and allow that to clean out temp files and the Recycle bin.

Reboot, and reinstall Firefox.

Your not going to believe this but after doing all that and reinstalling firefox. it still closes after I click on options. I don't understand why it's doing that.

Do I actually need to go into options? Is that where all the security tabs are located? Is there another way to get into it?

Java then. It is a global setting item, and was the other one that was changed earlier on in repairs. And is a heavy user in your Tools menu as well. Yes, Tools is where many of your most important settings for Firefox reside.

If you did not save it from earlier, Go here and download the latest version of Sun Java Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 6. The current file name for that is jre-6u6-windows-i586-p.exe. Download the "Windows Offline Installation" by clicking on that file to download it. Don't do anything else with it - just smart to have it there before any changes.

Then go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall any listings there for Java/JRE (Sun Java Runtime Environment/J2SE Runtime Environment), and reboot after. Don't worry about not having Java installed for the while - you won't be using it for anything unless you try to surf some pages with a lot of that in use. But open Firefox and try the Tools menu again.

Given the different changes and all the efforts there so far it must be tough to not see success. I will just have to review the info again. Unfortunately I am out of town, and logged in here on extremely slow dial-up (took about 10 minutes to log in and get to this page). I may be able to access something faster Sunday, and if not will not have the means of doing any valid reviews until I return from traveling Sunday.

Firefox has a diagnostic mode to start in we need to try now. Some good ideas from others keeping the fresh options going here.

Go to Start - Run, type (or copy/paste) the following, then select OK:

firefox -safe-mode

If that does not open Firefox in it's Safe Mode startup (not to be confused with starting Windows in Safe Mode), use this Run entry instead:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode

There are some checks to do while you have that running, but for now first check Tools and see if this reduced Firefox setting allows you to now access that. Post back on that if you would.

As you can see, our Firefox work unrelated to the earlier malware removal has been moved to the appropriate forum. So we can continue now with this task underway. Thanks to JeanInMontana for the extra effort getting us set up here.

When Firefox safe mode first opens I am sure you see the display to make changes. I would like to say I am on top of which change would bring a solutions there, and although Add-ons is where you need to start I just cannot target the exact needed change.

In that first Firefox Safe Mode display, place a check in the first box, "Disable all add-ons", then click "Continue in Safe Mode". When Firefox opens check Tools again.

Repeat these steps, checking one of those options each new Safe Mode, until you have found a change that allows Tools access without the shutdowns please. Only one option each time though, to keep things clear on what does what there.

Then post back which selection allowed the Tools access.

None of that worked either. :)

You have helped me so much already Jintan, so if you don't have time to figure out the problem, I totally understand. Do you even think we can get it to work again?

I do appreciate your help so much. Thank you!!!

This helping is an avocation - who doesn't make time for their avocations, right? Looks like we are going to have to check the Registry again. Two items to be sure at this point:

You all did completely remove Firefox as suggested - all folders, all other user's folders?

This issue to accessing Tools shutting down Firefox - it is only you, when you use Firefox, and everyone else there has no problems like that? Just to know where in the registry to look.

It seems that it's just me that is having the problem. When I opened firefox under the other users, options opened up fine and the browser stayed open. So it seems that it's just my problem.

Try logging onto another account, then browse to your account C:\Documents and Settings\sandi\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles and delete the entire profile.

Then log off of that user and log back in as yourself and start Firefox back up and create a new profile.

Try creating an all new Windows XP user

Go into Control Panel, User Accounts and create a new user with Admin rights. MOM or what ever you want to call it.

Then logon to that new profile and launch Firefox and see if you get any error with it and let us know.

Archived