sandi149

Firefox Shuts Down When Options are Clicked

I just played a few too many games looking for the install, but did not locate it. And lost the games - I am not very good at them. Adzgalore uses some of the same games the same company used in the past, but more often it seems they are "happened" onto than located by choice. If your son can provide better details I would surely accept those.

The registry entry we removed I sense is related to the adware changes, as some of the same changes were made by the older adware version. But here I just cannot say this one Tools issue is strictly infection caused or just change related.

I see you already have at least one new Sandi user profile, but now with the infected files removed go ahead and create another new one to check things.

If you close Firefox and all open browsers, go to Start - Run, type in firefox.exe -P (and OK), as shown here you can then create a new user profile. Use any new name you choose.

Then navigate to:

C:\Documents and Settings\Sandi\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\kkq2lwzk.Sandi New Profile

And copy the following two files to your desktop for now.

bookmarks.html

prefs.js

Then navigate to the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\Sandi\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\newusernameyoucreated

And copy/paste or just move those two files to that folder. If it warns you that existing files will be overwritten agree to that.

Then again go to Start - Run, type firefox.exe -P (and OK), click to hilight that new user name and start Firefox. Unless you use Firefox -p again, when you open Firefox for now it will open with the new user name. Of course once you have done all that click on Tools, and check for and post back if that corrected the error please.

Hi Jintan,

Well I did all that and the browser still closes after I go into Tools, Options.

I actually hadn't expected that. If you would, upload those two files you moved- bookmarks.html and prefs.js - here like before please. If you would like you can just use the same existing last thread you had there and do a Reply to upload in that (I think that should work).

Ok, both files are uploaded to that site in the same thread that I started the other day.

Again mostly google loaded info, and still may be a google extension issue. I will have to check on how to manually remove extensions, as they store info in many places. Just not sure this is not some ongoing google toolbar corruption issue yet.

Download the attached prefs0.zip and unzip that to your desktop. Then navigate to your new Firefox user profile folder again, and rename that copy of prefs.js to prefs.bad. Locate the prefs0.js created when you unzipped the downloaded attachment and place a copy of that in your profile folder.

Then open Firefox and check for change please. That prefs.js copy is a bare bones new startup version.

prefs0.zip

prefs0.zip

I hate to say it, but that didn't work either. This sure is very frustrating isn't it?

Sure is a process of elimination here, but slimming down the field rapidly with the checks you are doing. So the issue is your user settings there. May not be within Firefox itself.

Click here to download Bobbi Flekman's Regsearch.zip to your desktop. Then unzip that, and click on the regsearch.exe to run the tool. In the display panel, copy and paste the following into the upper box:

firefox

Then click Okay. Once the scan completes a textbox will open. The RegSearch.txt log can also be found in the same location as the regearch.exe file you clicked. Since this will be a very large logfile go ahead and upload it as well, or since it is not malware attach it here with your reply (as a newcomer here I am not quite sure who has post attachment permissions).

Actually this is all that came up from that log. It wasn't very large.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Registry Search 2.0 by Bobbi Flekman

Hmm - it should have been, far as my own checks go. A friendly PM I received gave me a nudge to check other info, and I realize by stepping in later along here we may not have covered some ground I would like to check now. Using the same Regsearch steps, do new searches using each of the following, and post those results please.

Adzgalore

27cd87b0

ad65bf94

gizmo3

For those other entries I also received the same short log as the other one so I didn't even bother to post it. What I did notice though was when it runs, it goes for maybe a minute and then seems to get stuck and then maybe 20 secs after that, it produces that short log. Do you think there is something wrong with the actual program?

No, that end hang time is normal, as Regsearch reads and writes from the hive info (I assume that's what it is doing then).

Good work so far, but - I will need to go back to review with others on this Sandi, as I have run cold on things to check. Next suggestion would be for you and Temp to save your Bookmarks.html files only, uninstall Firefox and delete the existing Firefox folders there. Then reinstall Firefox after a reboot. Just cannot say this one issue with Tools access is not a Firefox glitch, brought on by some changes that had been made.

A link provided showed a location for add-ons in Firefox there we hadn't looked at yet Sandi. Two more files to check if you would. But failing locating any new useful info in those, it would be a good next idea to remove Firefox.

This will entail doing the uninstall, as you already know so well by now. Then moving the bookmarks.html files, like one you already did (just need to save Temp's as well). Then deleting these two folder:

C:\Program files\Mozilla Firefox

C:\Documents and Settings\Sandi\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

But before going to that let's check these two files. Locate the following hilighted files, and again upload them please.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sandi\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\pluginreg.dat

C:\Documents and Settings\Sandi\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini

If you are trying to upload right from their current location, they are likely in use/protected. Right click each and Copy, then right click Paste a copy to your desktop. Upload from those instead.

Trying zipping the files, then send them to jintan @ cfl.rr.com as attachments. Be sure to use "Submitted Files - Sandi" as the email Subject. To zip them, either use one you already use (like Winzip) or just right click the file - Send To - Compressed (zipped) Folder to zip each.

I received the files, thanks. No infection issues in them. They do show an install of Microsoft Silverlight, which as it touts is for cross-platform use (more than one browser). If I wanted to locate a Firefox problem, I would consider software like that first. But also throughout these logs and views google entries show, but in looking back through the threads I see you all uninstalled that toolbar already. So a few potential tasks here. Right off though your request thread will be moved to the Malwarebytes PC Help forum, so it will not be reviewed for malware repairs any longer. But we will follow up there as well.

Before going the full "removal of Firefox" route, two more checks to be sure. One is to delete the google extension info stored there - I will have to sift through the logs to ID that. The other is to ask you about your use of Silverlight. I have yet to trial it myself - what do you all use it for regularly there?

What is Silverlight? I have heard it but I don't know what it's used for. I don't remember downloading that recently but maybe I did several months ago. I don't remember.

Good, why not go ahead and uninstall it through Add/Remove Programs. I admit only a guess, but as you are not actively using it shouldn't be much of a loss there. Reboot, check after and post an update please.

No indication from you that it resolved the Tools shut-down issue, so I sense it did not. I was about to follow up now with a few other procedures to remove some possible corrupted extension folders (google for one) when I came upon your earlier statement again:

I have a ? about Firefox.

In Firefox, when you click Help - About Mozilla Firefox, is this what you are referring to when you posted that?

sorry about that. Firefox still closes after clicking tools options.

I don't remember what ? I had about firefox.

In Firefox - Help - About Mozilla Firefox, is the correct installed version showing there?

Reboot into Safe Mode (at startup tap the F8 key about once per second, then select Safe Mode from the menu that shows). Open Firefox (no need for any internet connection for this) and see if clicking Tools again brings a crash.

Post back the version info, as well if Safe Mode allowed you to access Tools please.