MBAM_ERROR_LOAD_ DATABASE(0,5) - again

Several days ago, when trying to update MBAM Pro, I got this error. I finally uninstalled MBAM, let Revo uninstaller clean the registry entries, downloaded a new copy, and all was well. All has been well for several days, but this morning, I started my computer, then started MBAM (which on my WindowsXP Pro system I prefer not to have start at Windows startup). I then clicked to update the database. The graphic indicator got almost to the end but then the error message MBAM_ERROR_LOAD_ DATABASE(0,5) appeared and MBAM closed, though it's still in my system tray and in my list of active processes. If I put my cursor over the system tray icon it reports MBAM 1.46, database 4172, and today's date. However, I am unable to run a scan.

The error message says to report this error to the support team. Hence, this message. I should simply add that I run Quick Scans every day and they come up clean. I also ran a full scan yesterday with my anti-virus program, and it too came up clean. I have no reason to believe that I am infected with malware. My guess is that there's a problem with MBAM's database.

Yes, it sounds like the database file (rules.ref) got corrupted somehow. Please do the following:

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Then go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and delete rules.ref. Once you've done that, start MBAM and when it shows the error and asks to update, let it do so and see if that corrects it.

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click on Start
  • Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Please let me know how it goes.

Well, all was well yesterday, but when I turned on my computer this morning and then started MBAM, it happened again. I think it was when I asked MBAM to update its database, which I always do before running a scan. I did what I did yesterday: I deleted rules.ref and let MBAM download a fresh copy. That worked fine, and the Quick Scan I then ran found no malicious items (which is just about always the case--the only "malicious" items that I recall its finding in more than a year have been false positives, and very few of those).

So all seems well again, but this shouldn't be happening with such frequency. I might add that a full scan a couple of days ago with McAfee also turned up no problems. I really doubt that malware is causing this, but I don't know what is. I might note that I upgraded my firewall a few days ago to Outpost Pro 7, but I have mbam.exe, mbamgui.exe, and mbamservice.exe in Outpost's exclusions.

I can continue to do what I've been doing (deleting rules.ref, etc) if need be, but that's not getting at the cause of the problem.

It could be the new version of Outpost. If possible, can you somehow exclude or trust the folder containing the rules.ref file from it?

Thanks for the suggestion, exile 360. I'm happy to report that I was able to update last night and, more importantly, this morning after I started my computer and then MBAM. So whatever the problem was, it seems to have found someone else to bother, at least for the moment. But if it recurs, I'll give a try to getting the firewall to exclude or trust the folder containing rules.ref, or if need be just the rules.ref file.

Again, many thanks.

When you do not know how to use McAfee Enterprise AV and Outpost Firewall Pro effectively you will constantly be asking for advice. :)