KIS slowing down my laptops?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest remixed

The first thing you should do is download the latest version which is much improved.

http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/kis_latest_versions

You should install over your existing version (don't uninstall 2010 first). Next disable automatic updates, windows will tell you when it needs updating. Next go to Scan > General scan settings and uncheck both 'Perform idle scan' and 'Perform regular scan for active threats' . Lastly ignore any advice that Kaspersky give you. :)

I think that remixed pretty much covered it. :)

If you disable automatic updates, be sure to do a manual update at least once a day or once each day that you use the machine. I had issues with automatic updates slowing down/freezing my machine so I have disabled them and now am very good at remembering to update them at least once daily, if using my machine for more than a couple hours, I will update it a second time, etc...

I haven't disabled the idle scan yet but I might if I have any more slow issues.

Kaspersky runs beautifully on my system now, after some frustrating moments :) :)

The first thing you should do is download the latest version which is much improved.

You should install over your existing version (don't uninstall 2010 first). Next disable automatic updates, windows will tell you when it needs updating. Next go to Scan > General scan settings and uncheck both 'Perform idle scan' and 'Perform regular scan for active threats' . Lastly ignore any advice that Kaspersky give you. :)

okay but why disable windows automatic updates? its not always checking for updates all the time. And I'm kinda lazy to check for updates so i like Windows to automatically update. and i will uninstall KIS2010 first to see how fast it actually is. Then i will install 2011.

@IDKWatMyDisplayNameShoudBe

I think remixed meant disable automatic updates of KIS, not Windows itself.

Also, please please use the "ADD REPLY" t_reply.gif button at the bottom of the page when replying... makes things easier to read :)

Use this info if you want to Remove (as exile360 states) then Reinstall after you check operations -

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !

>> Check your KIS and performance at this point <<

Temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version only

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now reset any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Thank You - :)

Edited by noknojon to remove the Clean.exe tool -

tried it and the laptop performance was the same.

do u mean disable automatic updates for Kaspersky or Windows? and where is 'Perform regular scan for active threats' ?!?!? BTW, when i uninstalled KIS2010, my pc performance was wayyyy improved. and then i downloaded the latest version of KIS2011, (11.0.1.400) and KIS2011 seemed to be a little bit more lite then 2010. However my sister says it was slower then before....? and also, ive noticed the startup seems to be slower then when i had 2010.

Guest remixed

To clarify, DO NOT DISABLE WINDOWS AUTOMATIC UPDATES, perhaps i should have been a little more precise.

My recommendation is to disable KIS 2011 automatic updates!

To disable the idle and regular scans;

Go to the main user interface and click the tab 'Scan'. At the top right you click 'Settings'. In the window uncheck 'Perform Idle Scan' and 'Perform Regular scans for active threats'.

This only affects the scanner, the level of active protection is not affected. Just remember to 'run a critical areas scan' every coupla days. You should run a full scan at some point preferably overnight as it takes so long. Despite the improvements in this version Kaspersky's scanner is the slowest i've encountered (especially if using the recommended settings).

When i referred to windows in my original post it was to reassure you that, should you forget to update Kaspersky manually. windows security centre will deliver a popup to remind you that your antivirus 'may be out of date'. :)

Yes, definitely, run a full scan of the newest version of KIS when you have a chance, as this does improve system performance.

I still need to do this myself, since I updated my version a few weeks ago.

What has the firewall got to do with MBAM scan time? It's more likely Kaspersky's File-AV which may cause a slowdown as it may scan each file prior to MBAM scanning it.

Adding MBAM exe files to Kaspersky's Trusted Applications list is the way to go (as initially said).

If you have them already there, double-click each row and ensure all the boxes are ticked

Just a quick FYI from Kaspersky forum discussion -

The attached picture is what I have...

I think that "Perform regular scan for active threats" is probably now the second item in my picture, "perform regular rootkit scan". I am not positive, though.

Also, please see here:

http://www.kaspersky.com/support/faq/?qid=208281836

post-13640-1281403754_thumb.jpg