Annoying "Uh Oh" Sound

Some kids played around on a friend's computer. MalwareBytes eliminated nine problems. Now he has two problems that I cannot find. One is that there is a constant "Uh Oh" sound coming from his speakers at random times. I've tried to go through all of the wave files on his computer to find the file, but I have not yet been successful. Presumably some adware renamed one of the standard sound files, but I cannot correlate the frequency of the sound with Click or Navigation. (Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic, VLC, and Adobe Audition will not play some of the sound files although Windows will.)

The second problem is that the computer periodically goes to a black screen. Hibernation is not enable, the screen saver is disabled, and the display mode is set to Presentation (always on.) Normally I'd be suspicious of a hardware problem, but this issue did not start until the kids played with the computer.

combofix.exe did not find a rootkit. MalwareBytes comes up clean. Where to look next?

Hello patlaw and Welcome to Malwarebytes

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...ize/sounds.mspx

go through all the sounds in the control panel as stated above, and find the sound that is making that sound from the list in section 4, That sound was enabled for something that your computer is doing so its acknowledging that it did it by playing the sound. Find it from the list and change it.

I remember a long time ago I used to use a program that had a sound like that, it was for an error of some sort, I think it was an ftp program of some sort. If you might still be infected and there is an ftp program running in the background and erroring out?

You said this computer was infected before, you might want to have the experts look at it.

Hi, and Welcome to Malwarebytes!

Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:

As we don't deal with malware removal in the General Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forum, you need to start a topic in the Malware Removal forum so a qualified helper can help you fix any malware related problems/infections you may have.

• Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.
  • After posting your new post, make sure under options, you select Track this topic and choose Immediate Email Notification, so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.
  • One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.
  • Please refrain from making any further changes to your computer (Install/Uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc...) unless advised by a malware removal helper. Doing so can result in system changes which may hinder the attempts by a helper to clean your machine.

NOTE: Please DO NOT post back to (bump) your topic within the first 48 hours.

Replying to your own posts changes the post count and helpers are looking for topics with zero replies. If you reply to your own post helpers may think that you're already being helped and thus overlook your post.

• If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply to the topic, asking for help again.
      Or
    • You may send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or here.

Please be patient, someone will assist you as soon as it is possible.

I remember a long time ago I used to use a program that had a sound like that, it was for an error of some sort, I think it was an ftp program of some sort. If you might still be infected and there is an ftp program running in the background and erroring out?

You said this computer was infected before, you might want to have the experts look at it.

Thanks for the help. Actually I think I'm going to restore a prior image next time he comes my way. Something is buried deep down in the bowels of Windows, and it's not worth spending a lot more time to find. If he doesn't like that solution, he shouldn't let kids play on his computer.

That's the sound, but there is no sound file on the computer with the word "error" except the Windows XP Error.wav file, and it is not this sound. No FTP program has even been installed on this computer. (The user does not have a clue what FTP is.) So the only thing I can think is that the sound file is embedded somewhere. I've searched through hidden and system files, to no avail. No ICQ program is installed as the user has no clue what ICQ is. If the kids installed it, they removed it. Thanks for the pointer. I'm still looking for the culprit. (The other question is why would the error file be launching so many times. There is nothing in the Event Viewer to give a clue.)

The second problem is that the computer periodically goes to a black screen. Hibernation is not enable, the screen saver is disabled, and the display mode is set to Presentation (always on.) Normally I'd be suspicious of a hardware problem, but this issue did not start until the kids played with the computer.

combofix.exe did not find a rootkit. MalwareBytes comes up clean. Where to look next?

This is enough to warrant you following the post from Firefox - Please take his advice -

Thank you - :P