Malwarebytes will not run

Sorry to bring this topic up again, but I am stuck. WinXP, SP3. Install malwarebytes 1.46, seems to go o.k. until I come to run, when get 'Run-time error '339'. Component 'vbalsgrid6.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered . A file is missing or invalid.'

I have malwarebytes running on two other computers with similar settings in the house, both quite satisfactorarily.

A search has suggested things to try, but all to no avail.

1. Uninstall, run MBamClean, reboot, suspend Antivirus, reinstall.

2. Run TDSSKiller, and Sophos Antiroot; no problems.

3. Run SuperAntiSpyware and then Spyware Terminator; no problems.

4. Downloaded and Installed recommended Windows VisualBasic Common Controls. Installed alright, but no help.

5. Tried to register the offending file through MBamFix.bat. vbalsgrid6.ocx refused to register.

The computer seems to be running well apart from this problem. Any help? I see others with the same problem, but it is unclear whether they resolved this issue. Thanks.

• Root Admin

Item 5 - what was the error message?

Please try the following VB update. If it does not help then please run the DDS scan below and post back those logs.

Service Pack 6 for Visual Basic 6.0: Run-Time Redistribution Pack (vbrun60sp6.exe)

Brief Description:

vbrun60sp6.exe is a self-extracting executable file that installs versions of the Microsoft Visual Basic run-time files required by all applications created with Visual Basic 6.0.

Download: vbrun60sp6.exe

Download
DDS
and save it to your desktop

Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop

• Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

Thanks A.S.,

Item 5 (Mbamfix.bat) Error messages (in three bits):

DLLRegisterServer in C:\ProgramFiles\Malwarebytes'Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll succeeded

ditto \ssubtmr6.dll failed. Return Code was:0x80004005.

ditto \vbalsgrid6.ocx failed. Return Code was 0x80004005

Downloaded the vbrun60sp6.exe as suggested, but was then unsure of the folder to de-compress it to. Put it into C:\windows\system32.

Downloded and ran DDS.scr. DDS.txt and attach.txt are now attached.

Thanks again.

Attach.txt

DDS.txt

• Root Admin

You actually have a bit of a mess on that computer and it needs some cleaning up. Please post a new log in the HJT forum where we can work on removing some of this stuff and getting you cleaned up and working.

Once you've posted there please send me a PM and I'll reply to your post there with further instructions.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org