Laptop wont startup after running MB

Hi, last night i realised that my girlfriends laptop was infected with the malware doctor program. I downloaded MB and ran it, after updating it. It picked up numerous infections, which I then asked it to fix. It said it got rid of those, but some would need to be removed on restart.

I then restarted it and since then the laptop wont boot up.

It is a toshiba satellite, running windows XP. I have read through numerous pages on here and it seems to be consistent with the atapi issues that everyone else has got. I cannot boot, I cannot even boot in safe mode.

I have tried running the windows repair (after booting from a CD), I select the OS that I want (option 1 - it only has one OS installed) and have then hit enter for the administrators password (hasn't got one) but then nothing happens, the command prompt just comes up and I don't know what to do.

So i found one of the replies which suggested running the RC.iso and extracting that through windows repair. That created two issues, firstly it wouldn't get into the repair option if the rc.iso disk was in the drive. However I got round that by getting into repair with the windows cd but then swapping the disks over when it was loading up into the repaid section. That worked, but when I typed in the "extract D:\......." command (sorry I can't find the actual post I'm referring to again so can't type out the full suggested command), it says location not found.

I have tried the fixmbr command in windows repair, but that hasn't worked either, so thought I'd post here first before trying anything else.

The missus is having a serious strop about the laptop not working - so any help would be really, really appreciated!!

Cheers

Brucey

This is the post I was referring to by Kahdah. I downloaded the iso, burnt it to disk and then followed Kahdahs instructions, but with no joy (see above). Thanks.

"Download RC.ISO and burn it to a cd as an ISO image. You may need a burning toy like ISO Recorder to do this...be sure to get the version for your operating system.

Once you have burned this as an ISO image, insert the CD into the drive, and then restart the computer.

Since this is a dell pc then the boot from disk would be to press F12 during the bios splash screen to boot from another device.

Watch for the prompt to "Press any key to boot from cd" and press the spacebar when you see it.

When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console...by number (usually 1)

When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If you have not set an administrator password, leave it blank and just press "Enter".

At the Recovery Console command prompt, type expand D:\I386\atapi.SY_ C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ /y then press Enter.

At the next prompt, type the following bolded text, and press Enter:

exit

============

Take the disk out of the drive and see if it get's into Windows then."