IP Blocks Regardless of Being Online

I've recently purchased Malwarebytes' full, and I love the additional features. However, I'm a bit concerned about my system, as IPs keep getting blocked, regardless of whether or not I'm online. Scans consistently come up clean. Should I be worried about a host program trying to access sites, or is it a simple fix such as deleting cookies? My computer was recently reformatted with a backup, so I don't believe there's a clutter accumulation.

Thanks!

Hi Sal -

I got an alert and I wasn't even surfing, how's does that happen?

There are many applications on your system which have access to the Net and any of these can trigger an IP alert with no browser open. Most common offenders are P2P applications and IM clients, usually an ad will trigger an alert. An advanced or premium firewall will be able to give you a list of programs which can access the Net.

Hello -Sal-, :D

Do you have any Peer to Peer (P2P) software, like LimeWire, Vuze, BitTorrent, uTorrent, on your system?

Skype maybe.

Hi Sal -

This area gives you most of the information you require about IP's showing up while not on line -

Thanks, I'll try that.

Skype isn't a P2P program. If you don't have Skype open, or a browser, are you still getting these IP blocks?

Have you been infected recently that you know of?

If so, please do the following as you are probably infected:

Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

Please note that it may take 48 hours or more for you to receive a response in the malware removal forum, as it is often busy at times. Please do not reply to your own post asking for help unless its been more than 48 hours since you originally posted, as this can make it appear as though you are being helped and take longer for you to get help.

If you are unable to do all or any of the steps in the link to the directions above, just post your problem into the forum I gave you a link to anyway and someone will be able to assist you.

Also, when replying, please use the "ADD REPLY" button located at the bottom of the page, as this makes the forum easier to read.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Thank you :D

@mountaintree16

Thank you. I would be astounded if I was infected, as I just had my computer reformatted, I bought the pro version, scan multiple times a day (Full, Quick, and Flash manually as well as on a schedule), regularly update, scan individual files upon download, am cautious online, etc.

And, the IP blocks come up randomly about once or twice a day, with no applications open. Also, an IP block taskbar balloon comes up every time I visit Vimeo.

Other than these IP block balloons, my system is running normally.

I'm kind of annoyed at the internet's malintent population right now. :D

Regards,

Sal :)

You're welcome Sal :D

Hmm. Do the random pop ups happen before or after you've visited Vimeo?

I want you to clear out your temp files with CCleaner to see if that might help with these IP block pop ups. Let me know if you have any questions about how to use it before you use it!

Download CCleaner from here to clean temp files from your computer.

• Double click on the ccsetup file to start the installation of the program.
  • Select your language and click OK, then click Next.
  • Read the license agreement and click I Agree.
  • Click Next to use the default install location. Click Install then click Finish to complete installation.
  • Double click the CCleaner shortcut on the desktop to start the program.
  • On the "Windows" tab, under "Internet Explorer," uncheck "Cookies" if you do not want them deleted. (If deleted, you will likely need to reenter your passwords at all sites where a cookie is used to recognize you when you visit).
  • If you use either the Firefox or Mozilla browsers, the box to uncheck for "Cookies" is on the Applications tab, under Firefox/Mozilla.
  • Also, please uncheck "Recycle Bin" under "System" if you do not wish to have that emptied w/ CCleaner. Also check to make sure you uncheck anything else that you do not want cleared.
  • Click on the "Options" icon at the left side of the window, then click on "Advanced."
    deselect "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours."
  • Click on the "Cleaner" icon on the left side of the window, then click Run Cleaner to run the program.
  • Caution: It is not recommended that you use the "Registry" feature unless you are very familiar with the registry as it has been known to find legitimate items for removal, which can cause issues with other programs.
  • After CCleaner has completed its process, click Exit.

Let me know if you still get blocks randomly after running CCleaner.

:)

Thank you, I just did that. I use Chrome, but it still seemed to clear what I wanted.

I don't think that Vimeo is causing this, upon a Google search I think there was something on this forum about Vimeo's server IP being right between malicious ones -- or something.

Anyway, I'll see. I think the blocks may have stopped today. :D

'Night,

Sal

Hi Sal,

You're welcome :)

CCleaner also clears out Chrome temp files too :) It clears out a lot more than just temp internet files though... unnecessary system temp files, flash files, etc... I use it daily :)

I'll see what I can find out about Vimeo - I don't know anything about it currently.

I should have asked you this before -- what are you using for an anti-virus program?

Goodnight, we shall continue tomorrow :D

I'm using Malwarebytes' Full and AVG Free. Malwarebytes' runs every day on a schedule, and though I haven't seen AVG running since the reformat, the repair woman set it to scan the entire computer every Wednesday. AVG has a nice realtime protection module, like MB Full.

:D

Well, what do you mean you haven't seen AVG since the reformat? It is running in realtime in the taskbar?

I actually don't recommend AVG anymore. I would recommend Avira or Microsoft Security Essentials for you if you are looking for a free AV solution, if you would like to switch. I can give you links for those if you'd like. I used to use AVG but no longer! (that's my screen shot picture, hehe).

Why did you need to reformat? How long ago did you reformat?

Do you have any Peer to Peer (P2P) software, like LimeWire, Vuze, BitTorrent, uTorrent, on your system?

Skype maybe.

Skype isn't a P2P program.

Not strictly correct, mountaintree16. :)

Skype utilizes P2P technologies in a similar way to that of the file sharing programs such as LimeWire, BitTorrent etc.

In fact look up the relationship between Skype and the file sharing application, Kazaa.

It's in the taskbar, but I hadn't noticed it running in the background, that's all.

I reformatted about a month ago due to a nasty scareware that messed up the registry and prevented Windows from starting correctly.

CCleaner might have deleted some sort of cookie or other, because I think the problem may have gone away.

Cheers! :)

Ah, gotcha. So it HAS been running in realtime, then? :) Great! Did you update to version 9.0 from 8.5 already? Also have you added exclusions for AVG to Mbam? http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?a...&pid=167851

I thought CCleaner might help! :) I got some IP blocks one time and it kept up after I closed out of the site and sometimes when I didn't have a browser open (I think so anyway) and my Mbam scan had come up clean so once I ran CCleaner it helped, so I thought that that might help you too!

If you do keep getting them though when you aren't using a browser and/or its not a specific website, please do refer to these directions:

Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

Please note that it may take 48 hours or more for you to receive a response in the malware removal forum, as it is often busy at times. Please do not reply to your own post asking for help unless its been more than 48 hours since you originally posted, as this can make it appear as though you are being helped and take longer for you to get help.

If you are unable to do all or any of the steps in the link to the directions above, just post your problem into the forum I gave you a link to anyway and someone will be able to assist you.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Thank you :)