Total Sadness on a happy day..

ShyWriter

I was lucky enough to be able to watch a night time launch once while I was out in Florida doing some work. That was AMAZING...

We get quite a few chances (and I appreciate every one I manage to watch) here in Florida where I live, as both night, and day launches are visible if there is no cloud cover and I know the exact time. VERY beautiful.. :welcome:

Shy

• Root Admin

Yes I was amazed. We drove around trying to get close but as you can imagine every place you can get close was already filled by spectators. By sheer accident we found a road and spot that was maybe a couple miles or less from the site as we could actually see the tip of it on the ground. Then when it went off it wasn't up very long and the radio announcer said it was now over the cape of Africa and it was still quite visible in the sky due to the rocket thrusts.

Hopefully they can find some funding somewhere because I would really like to see space exploration continue as it seems to have been to date a very excellent program.

I also haven't been able to see a launch, except on TV of course, and even from TV they look like they would be quite the sight to see in person.

• Root Admin

No not really. It has a lot of base rumbling but being a couple miles away it certainly was not an over powering loudness to me. Now if you were in the spectators seats that look to be maybe about 1/4 mile away or so then it might be another story. :welcome:

A Happy day because space shuttle ATLANTIS landed safely -- and VERY SAD DAY because unless a rescue mission is needed in the future, it will never soar into space again.

What are they ever going to do with the thousands of gallons of fuel that it used at each lift off - :welcome:

What are they ever going to do with the thousands of gallons of fuel that it used at each lift off - :welcome:

Well; for the next six to eight months, nothing. They have ONE extra liquid fuel tank and TWO extra solid fuel boosters being kept in reserve for an ENDEAVOR (last shuttle flight planned) rescue flight BY Atlantis IF NEEDED.

The liquid fuel is not toxic being that one part is liquid hydrogen, which when burned has only WATER as a byproduct , and the second part is liquid Oxygen which can be used as oxygen to breath or released into the air; so the liquid components are no harm; no foul.

The solid fuel boosters are a problem, very toxic, both burning.. and unburned.

56 Solid rocket booster fuel composition

Reference: "Shuttle Flight Operations Manual" Volume 8B - Solid Rocket

Booster Systems, NASA Document JSC-12770

1. Propellant Composition (percent)
  2. Ammonium perchlorate (oxidizer) 69.6
  3. Aluminum 16
  4. Iron Oxide (burn rate catalyst) 0.4
  5. Polybutadiene-acrilic acid-acrylonitrile (a rubber) 12.04
  6. Epoxy curing agent 1.96
    Comment: The aluminum, rubber, and epoxy all burn with the oxidizer.

Shy

Haha nice one Buttons. Speaking of BP, did anyone hear if their latest attempted to plug the leak was sucessful?

Won't know for 24 hours according to officials at BP - online NY TIMES has several articles, the most damning one is that BP officials refused on two different to make a right decision, in order to save money, one before the blast and one in the early minutes of the blowout... VERY interesting reading.

Shy

Haha nice one Buttons. Speaking of BP, did anyone hear if their latest attempted to plug the leak was sucessful?

On the today show this morning, they had pipe drawing mud in to plug the well.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37353392/ns/gulf_oil_spill/