False Positive of Trojan.Chifrax

Schmed

My daily quick scan has been reporting a false Trojan.Chifrax detection in a temp directory. Running mbam.exe /developer does not produce the same result. There is no setup.exe file in the directory where the trojan is allegedly detected. I have zipped up both log files and a printout of the directory's contents at the time of detection so that you can see what's going on.

The basics:

Win7 Pro

3 GB RAM

2 hard drives : C:\ = 80GB; D:\ = 300GB

Malwarebytes 1.46; database version 4140

Please let me know what else you need. I'd like to keep running MBAM but if I keep getting false positives, I'll need to find something more reliable.

TrojanChifrax.zip

Getting same problem.

Installed malwarebytes 3 days ago to investigate a about:blank spyware.

Upon reboot malwarebytes detects a trojan.chifrax in c:\windows\temp\setup.exe on startup of PC and deletes it.

Interestingly enough, when I reboot and quickly go to Explorer, the setup.exe is there and it's deleted (presumably by malwarebytes), so, it does exist.

I suppose I should try and copy it and then check it with another spyware/adware program to see if it's really a problem, or it's a false positive and setup.exe is being created by something else on startup.

I'm suspicious that it's indeed the trojan since I still have the about:blank and have not solved this problem yet, so something is playing havoc with my PC

If one of you , please zip and attach the file actually being detected to your next post , we cant do much without that .

That's the whole problem: there IS no file! :welcome: In my case, it says "setup.exe". When I go to my directory that has the alleged infection, I find no such file (see the listing in my ZIP file). That's why the title of this thread is FALSE POSITIVE.

• Staff
That's the whole problem: there IS no file! :welcome: In my case, it says "setup.exe". When I go to my directory that has the alleged infection, I find no such file (see the listing in my ZIP file). That's why the title of this thread is FALSE POSITIVE.

Actually, I think this makes it a false\negative.

Please disable the SuperFecth service, reboot and update Malwarebytes and see if this returns.

Actually, I think this makes it a false\negative.

Please disable the SuperFecth service, reboot and update Malwarebytes and see if this returns.

I ran an update a couple of days ago and it has not recurred. Thanks for your advice!