Need to scan a computer without internet connection

I recently was given a computer ( Win XP Pro SP3 ) , that due to a hardware issue is UN-able to connect to the Internet.

But before the hardware problem is fixed , I would like to run a Malware/Anti-virus scan , as I suspect it maybe infected.

If I download the latest Malwarebytes version on my other computer , and burn the install file to a data CD and install on non-Internet computer , will Malwarebytes be fully functional without a Internet connection ?

And what would be a good anti-virus program I could also use to check the no Internet connection computer ?

Thanks.

Hello leoliver, and welcome to the forums here at Malwarebytes.org :)

Yes, you most certainly can burn the MBAM set up to CD and then install it on the computer that is infected. Prior to downloading though, when you choose "save" (when downloading the file) name it XP.com or something similar like that, just in case.

Also, since the definitions database will not be fully up-to-date on the setup file, you also need to follow the directions at this link here;

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...ost&p=49525

under Issue #4. If you need assistance with this portion of it, please let me know, as I have done it before several times and it works great :)

Essentially what you are doing is updating Malwarebytes (to its most recent definitions right before you are ready to burn the CD) on a clean, working computer then copying the rules.ref file from that machine and burning that to CD then replacing the rules.ref on the machine to be cleaned after installing Mbam on the machine to be cleaned.

As a side note, please use the "ADD REPLY" button when replying, which is located at the bottom of the page.

Thank you and please let me know if this does the trick for you :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hello leoliver, and welcome to the forums here at Malwarebytes.org :)

Yes, you most certainly can burn the MBAM set up to CD and then install it on the computer that is infected. Prior to downloading though, when you choose "save" (when downloading the file) name it XP.com or something similar like that, just in case.

Also, since the definitions database will not be fully up-to-date on the setup file, you also need to follow the directions at this link here;

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...ost&p=49525

under Issue #4. If you need assistance with this portion of it, please let me know, as I have done it before several times and it works great :D

Essentially what you are doing is updating Malwarebytes (to its most recent definitions right before you are ready to burn the CD) on a clean, working computer then copying the rules.ref file from that machine and burning that to CD then replacing the rules.ref on the machine to be cleaned after installing Mbam on the machine to be cleaned.

As a side note, please use the "ADD REPLY" button when replying, which is located at the bottom of the page.

Thank you and please let me know if this does the trick for you :)

Yesterday I used the procedure that you out-lined in your reply to my 1st post. All went well . Thanks for the tip.