MBAM slowing pc

The past couple of days my pc performance was suddenly deteriating, programs and windows taking forever to open. Naturally, I checked for malware first then I blamed SP3 and removed that and Comodo firewall.

Unfortunately it was MBAM, big improvements being made after removal.

Any ideas to remedy this because I really like the program and heartily recommend it to anyone who listens.

As an experiment I took an old dell P4 2.4 w/512 megs of ram and a clean install of xp sp3, then applied a standard power user tweak. I then loaded Nort 360, AVG av, spybot teatimer and winpatrol trying to crash the computer, it slowed considerably but not to the point of an average computer with standard crapware. I can't imagine MBAM having a significant impact on anything but an overloaded computer.

The past couple of days my pc performance was suddenly deteriating, programs and windows taking forever to open. Naturally, I checked for malware first then I blamed SP3 and removed that and Comodo firewall.

Unfortunately it was MBAM, big improvements being made after removal.

Any ideas to remedy this because I really like the program and heartily recommend it to anyone who listens.

How can you say it was MBAM when you removed two other things? That doesn't pin it down to any one thing at all. Unless your running a paid version of MBAM with full time protection it won't do anything unless you open it and run a scan. How did you check for malware? I'm betting that's what is slowing the PC and if MBAM was in on that it would be because it's fighting the malware, if you have a full version.

How can you say it was MBAM when you removed two other things? That doesn't pin it down to any one thing at all. Unless your running a paid version of MBAM with full time protection it won't do anything unless you open it and run a scan. How did you check for malware? I'm betting that's what is slowing the PC and if MBAM was in on that it would be because it's fighting the malware, if you have a full version.

MBAM slowed my old 2.4GHZ P4 XP Home system so much that I could go make a cup of coffee and go get the local newspaper downstairs to come back and it would at least be a bit responsive.

Its now history until I can afford a quad core 2GB system.

Dont get me wrong, Im not knocking the program. Id love to continue using it.

This was a process of elimination. I did check for malware for first, even using Icesword in case of something sinister. Then I removed SP3, with no change. Then I tried removing Comodo fw, still no change. It didnt improve until I removed MBAM, Pro version.

Here's a brief story. I had a similar problem a couple of weeks back, which I put down to my removing a partition and extending the Windows partition. So I formatted and reinstalled for a new start. Then it started again. Im assuming there is something unique happening with my pc and MBAM, as this begins after a few updates.

FYI- pc is XP Pro, Athlon 3200, 1.5gb, 160gb HD. I have Avast, Winpatrol Pro and Comodo.

I have very few programs installed. I dont know if it makes a difference but I did install the Far Eastern language packs.

One last point, but again, I dont know if it makes a difference, before I uninstalled MBAM I got Task Manager open and saw mbamservice was using over 27000kb's of ram, one of the highest usages.

How did you check for malware? I'm betting that's what is slowing the PC and if MBAM was in on that it would be because it's fighting the malware, if you have a full version.

Scotty knows how to "check for malware". If he says his computer is clean, then it almost certainly is.

@JeanInMontana

I did HJT first, then ran MBAM (the scanning is fast) ran Avast then ran Icesword for good measure. All clean. I did try running DSS before removing MBAM, it hung after an hour while examining the Registry. (Runs fine now, and clean)

Ive checked Event Viewer and from the 20th MBAMservice features as errors, a lot. Before that, from the 14th, there was just information entries.

It certainly is the Protection Module that is causing these problems of slowing down computers. Mine slowed down to a point where I decided I needed a System Restore. I did and the problems were resolved. Then I redownloaded MBAM 1.18 and the problems re-appeared. I repeated this process again just to be sure and met with the same results. Next I turned off the Protection Module in MBAM 1.18 and re-booted. Problem solved. Ergo, the problem lies in the Protection Module.

MBAM v1.18 generates the following error when I right-click the tray icon > disable protection, and also when I try to exit the application.

mbam1rq7.jpg

It also appears to increase the time for Avira Premium v8 to load the GUI when launching from the system tray. If MBAM is running in real-time it takes about 10 seconds for Avira to pull up, whereas if MBAM is not running Avira pulls up in 1 second. Other apps also appear to have increased load times with MBAM real-time enabled.

Event viewer > Application shows ~100 errors for MBAM:

The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( MBAMService ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: MBAMService, Error: Scanner::GetMD5 failed.
The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( MBAMService ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: MBAMService, Error: Monitor::GetAndQueueProcInfoFromDriver failed.

Under System > Event ID: 7011:

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the MBAMService service.

AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.7GHz

2GB DDR

WD640GB HDD

Win XP Pro SP3

The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( MBAMService ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: MBAMService, Error: Monitor::GetAndQueueProcInfoFromDriver failed.

That's mine too.

• 2 weeks later...