virus help please

Hi Elise, I'm back.

We can now access this pc from user name Kate. Great Job!!!

All processes killed

========== OTL ==========

HKU\S-1-5-21-2056517334-3818234146-3613033903-1012\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\\ProxyEnable|dword:0 /E : value set successfully!

HKU\S-1-5-21-2056517334-3818234146-3613033903-1012\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\\ProxyOverride| /E : value set successfully!

HKU\S-1-5-21-2056517334-3818234146-3613033903-1012\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\\ProxyServer| /E : value set successfully!

========== COMMANDS ==========

[EMPTYTEMP]

User: Administrator

User: Administrator.FAMILY

->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes

->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 67 bytes

->Flash cache emptied: 348 bytes

User: All Users

User: Celia

->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 469 bytes

->Java cache emptied: 64023560 bytes

->Flash cache emptied: 81929 bytes

User: Dave

->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 298245 bytes

->Java cache emptied: 236893853 bytes

->Flash cache emptied: 689132 bytes

User: Default User

->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 32902 bytes

User: Karen

->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 6924750 bytes

->Java cache emptied: 33322382 bytes

->Flash cache emptied: 11943 bytes

User: Kate

->Temp folder emptied: 687 bytes

->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 6680874 bytes

->Java cache emptied: 58218360 bytes

->Flash cache emptied: 1294381 bytes

User: LocalService

->Temp folder emptied: 65748 bytes

->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 2366786 bytes

->Flash cache emptied: 348 bytes

User: NetworkService

->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 735314 bytes

->Java cache emptied: 4493 bytes

->Flash cache emptied: 11343 bytes

User: Owner

%systemdrive% .tmp files removed: 14648 bytes

%systemroot% .tmp files removed: 137401 bytes

%systemroot%\System32 .tmp files removed: 26721297 bytes

%systemroot%\System32\dllcache .tmp files removed: 0 bytes

%systemroot%\System32\drivers .tmp files removed: 0 bytes

Windows Temp folder emptied: 802091 bytes

%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes

%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 38393 bytes

RecycleBin emptied: 0 bytes

Total Files Cleaned = 419.00 mb

OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.4.1 log created on 05292010_191642

Files\Folders moved on Reboot...

File\Folder C:\WINDOWS\temp\Perflib_Perfdata_64c.dat not found!

Registry entries deleted on Reboot...

Hello again,

Thats good to hear :D

Please let me know if there are any problems left. Lets also do one last scan.

ESET ONLINE SCANNER

----------------------------

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan

1. Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  2. Click the esetOnline.png button.
  3. For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)

1. Click on esetSmartInstall.png to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    2. Double click on the esetSmartInstallDesktopIcon.png icon on your desktop.

3. Check esetAcceptTerms.png
    4. Click the esetStart.png button.
    5. Accept any security warnings from your browser.
    6. Check esetScanArchives.png
    7. Push the Start button.
    8. ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
    9. When the scan completes, push esetListThreats.png
    10. Push esetExport.png, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
      Note - when ESET doesn't find any threats, no report will be created.
    11. Push the esetBack.png button.
    12. Push esetFinish.png

ESET scan results:

C:\HelpAsst_backup\C\DOCUME~1\HELPAS~1\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\31\ba6991f-7a05e3f3 Java/TrojanDownloader.Agent.NAM trojan deleted - quarantined

C:\HelpAsst_backup\C\DOCUME~1\HELPAS~1\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\36\7945eda4-36b6eb9e multiple threats deleted - quarantined

While the ESET Scan was running, Norton gave me the following:

ATIPI.SYS.vir This file requires manual removal

Infected file: c:\Qoobox\quarantine\C\windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys.vir

manual removal required

Infected file: c:\system volume information\_restore{b37680b2\ba0a-4e5d-bf30-83e44c588624}\RP1\A0000032.sys

no fix attempted

Please note I could not copy and paste the Norton results - I attempted to exactly retype but there may be mistakes

Also:

Unauthorized Access blocked

Actor: C\windows\explorer.exe

Actor pid: 1868

Target: \device\harddiskvolume2\program files\Norton Security Suite\engine\4.1.0.32\ccvchst.exe

target PID: 2980

action: send terminate message to windows

reaction: unauthorized access blocked

Hello again,

That is nothing to worry about. Norton detects ESET accessing quarantined threads and flags them. The same goes for the access violation for explorer.exe, its just a conflict between to AV applications (ESET and Norton in this case).

If there are no other problems, you are good to go :D

ALL CLEAN

--------------

Your machine appears to be clean, please take the time to read below on how to secure the machine and take the necessary steps to keep it clean :)

Please do the following to remove the remaining programs from your PC:

• Delete the tools used during the disinfection:
    • Click start > run and type combofix /uninstall, press enter. This will remove Combofix from your computer.
    • Click Start > run and type helpasst -cleanup in the runbox, press enter. This will remove the Helpassistant backups.
    • Delete DDS, GMER (this is a random named file) and OTL.

Please read these advices, in order to prevent reinfecting your PC:

1. Install and update the following programs regularly:
    • an outbound firewall
      A comprehensive tutorial and a list of possible firewalls can be found here.
    • an AntiVirus Software
      It is imperative that you update your AntiVirus Software on regular basis.If you do not update your AntiVirus Software then it will not be able to catch the latest threats.
    • an Anti-Spyware program
      Malware Byte's Anti Malware is an excellent Anti-Spyware scanner. It's scan times are usually under ten minutes, and has excellent detection and removal rates.
      SUPERAntiSpyware is another good scanner with high detection and removal rates.
      Both programs are free for non commercial home use but provide a resident and do not nag if you purchase the paid versions.
    • Spyware Blaster
      A tutorial for Spywareblaster can be found here. If you wish, the commercial version provides automatic updating.
    • MVPs hosts file
      A tutorial for MVPs hosts file can be found here. If you would like automatic updates you might want to take a look at HostMan host file manager. For more information on thehosts file, and what it can do for you,please consult the Tutorial on the Hosts file

[*]Keep Windows (and your other Microsoft software) up to date!

I cannot stress how important this is enough. Often holes are found in Internet Explorer or Windows itself that require patching. Sometimes these holes will allow an attacker unrestricted access to your computer.

Therefore, please, visit the Microsoft Update Website and follow the on screen instructions to setup Microsoft Update. Also follow the instructions to update your system. Please REBOOT and repeat this process until there are no more updates to install!!

[*]Keep your other software up to date as well

Software does not need to be made by Microsoft to be insecure. You can use the Secunia Online Software occasionally to help you check for out of date software on yourmachine.

[*]Stay up to date!

The MOST IMPORTANT part of any security setup is keeping the software up to date. Malware writers release new variants every single day. If your software updates don't keep up, then the malware will always be one step ahead. Not a good thing.

Some more links you might find of interest:

Please reply to this topic if you have read the above information. If your computer is working fine, this topic will be closed afterwards.

Hi and thank you so much Elise,

I'm sure you are right the pc is now clean, but...... I'm a bit nervous because the norton virus warning was similar to what i received before you were helping me. Is it possible to wait closing out this topic until we run the pc another day and I report back to you tommorrow evening?

Dave

Of course Dave :D

To understand why Norton flagged the file, you have to understand that System Restore contains copies of data (files/registry entries) from different points in the recent history of your computer. That way, a copy of the infected driver file ended up in System Restore. It is completely harmless there, since there is no way it can be active.

The other copy was in Combofix quarantine.

If you uninstalled Combofix as instructed both the System restore points and Combofix quarantine should be gone now.

You can determine whether the file is harmless or not in this case based on the file location.

Infected file: c:\Qoobox\quarantine\C\windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys.vir

manual removal required <-- C:\Qoobox is the directory where Combofix stores its quarantined files.

Infected file: c:\system volume information\_restore{b37680b2\ba0a-4e5d-bf30-83e44c588624}\RP1\A0000032.sys

no fix attempted <-- c:\system volume information is the folder where all restore points are saved.

I hope this explains why Norton still detected the files.

Please let me know if you have any more questions :)

Thanks again for the great explanation Elise.

I was more nervous about blocked communication because the target was the ccvchst file, which is similar in name to ccsvhst.exe I discovered was taking up a large % of system cpu when I was first infected, as discovered through windows task manager. I'm sure all is fine, I'll report back to you tommorrow.

Dave