System Slowdown

I have recently started using the paid version of MWAB and noticed that it really slows down my system. It takes much longer to open programs such as Firefox, MS Word, and all of the other programs I use. I disabled all of the protection MWAB offers in the program and my system runs fine so it must be Malwarebytes using up lots of memory. MWAB is set to scan once daily & update hourly as it was set when installed. I did disable the notification when MWAB blocks an IP.

I have a Dell XPS420, 2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q6600, & 4 mb ram.

Is there any way to cut down on the memory use?

Upgrade to Windows 7 64bit like I did.

64-bit support

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/products/features/64-bit-support

I do not have any to spare but you will get more bang for your bucks with Windows 7.

I wish I could afford a Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 system. :)

post-100-1273972143_thumb.jpg

It's most likely an issue of MBAM needing to be excluded from your antivirus.

Please do the following to see if it resolves it:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Exclude these files and folders from Avast! and it should help:

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Here's how it looks in my AVAST setup, saucer.

In Avast, you can exclude whole paths, so it's easier than specifying each file.

For the mbam.sys and mbamswissarmy.sys drivers, I also use the * wildcard, so it becomes mbam*.sys.

Hope this helps!

post-16154-1274060331_thumb.jpg

Saucer

Go to My Controls then Edit Signature in Personal Profile and add information about your system so that helpers can offer pertinent advice.

Behavior Shield does not work on Windows 7 64bit yet but works fine on my XP Pro system.

post-100-1274208726_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

I think this needs to be the other way around. Seems to me that Avast is not the problem with system drag/high cpu but rather MBAM. Is there a way to exclude processes from MBAM. As it is right now, MBAM is unusable in real time on my set up. The starting of pretty much anything chokes the system.

Not questioning your genius but this is a fresh install of MBAM. Are you saying that I still need to do this? My OS is Win 7 32bit with latest version of MBAM pro. Anywho, here is some of the problem

5/26/2010 19:17:02	Duplicate handle to another process	Permitted
Process: e:\windows\system32\svchost.exe
Target: e:\program files\malwarebytes' anti-malware\mbamgui.exe
Handle: (Process) e:\program files\malwarebytes' anti-malware\mbam.exe
Rule: [App]e:\windows\system32\svchost.exe

The two sub processes for the process of svchost.exe are Diagnostic Policy Service and Base Filtering Engine

Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or post to ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Mine is a rather fresh version also, but I will do what you recommend. First, I would like to know how to setup file exclusions for Avast, Windows Firewall, Spybot, AdAware, & SpywareBlaster. Thanks

• Root Admin

@cat7even

I'm sorry but I don't have Avast installed and do not have the setting required for a walk through on setting up the exclusions for that specific product. Others here on the board do run it and may have the specific settings if you're unable to locate and setup them up on your own.

Using the FAQ pinned at the top of this forum has examples from other products (also linked in the clean removal post)

• Root Admin
Mine is a rather fresh version also, but I will do what you recommend. First, I would like to know how to setup file exclusions for Avast, Windows Firewall, Spybot, AdAware, & SpywareBlaster. Thanks

If you're using the paid version of these products: Spybot, and AdAware then you may not be able to get all of them to work together in harmony.

As I replied to cat7even - I don't have a specific walk through on how to set it up but most programs have a simple interface that if you review what is being excluded in the FAQ you should be able to duplicate it in Avast.

From my understanding though the older versions of Avast did have some issues as well with MBAM. The latest version of 5.x from Avast though is supposed to work well together now.

They have their own support forum a well that may be able to assist you if needed. http://forum.avast.com/

@cat7even

I'm sorry but I don't have Avast installed and do not have the setting required for a walk through on setting up the exclusions for that specific product. Others here on the board do run it and may have the specific settings if you're unable to locate and setup them up on your own.

Using the FAQ pinned at the top of this forum has examples from other products (also linked in the clean removal post)

Thanks, but that is user Sacuer looking for instructions on Avast. I do have Avast File and Behavior Shield running and have excluded the processes that you have mentioned. I also posted above with what I thought was part of the problem for me but have no idea as to why opening or using MBAM would cause that particular svchost.exe to use high CPU. I've tried using DefenseWall Hips in the past and this same svchost.exe displays the same behavior with it. Here's my setup:

Win 7 32bit Pro running as Admin user

UAC highest level asking for credentials

SRP deny all, Admins included with some exceptions using Group Policy

DEP for All programs and services

Windows 7 Firewall Control Plus

Avast with File and Behavior shields only.

Malware Defender HIPS, everything MBAM set as trusted

App Guard, shouldn't have any affect on MBAM

• Root Admin

@cat7even

Please send me a private message with your contact information and your Cleverbridge order number or reference and I'll assist you with looking into it further if you like. We will may need to do a lot of work and changes to track it down just so you're aware it can take some time to locate the problem.

@cat7even

Please send me a private message with your contact information and your Cleverbridge order number or reference and I'll assist you with looking into it further if you like. We will may need to do a lot of work and changes to track it down just so you're aware it can take some time to locate the problem.

Thanks but I don't think I am eligible for support from the company. My license is from the Wilders giveaway which I am truly thankful for. As of right now, I have rolled back prior to having installed MBAM. I want to re-install and double check that Avast did not re-enable itself prior to me having added MBAM's files for exclusion. To be honest, I can't remember now if it did or not. I owe you that much of an effort since you generously are willing to help. I would like to add this about the svchost.exe process of Diagnostic Policy Service and Base Filtering Engine services, I allowed the high CPU to carry on for about forty plus minutes and it finally stopped. I continued surfing for quite a few hours and did not notice any more high CPU from that particular process. What I did notice, IE's processes would sky rocket CPU when middle clicking a link to open it in a new tab which is/was evident by the air flow fans racing up every time I did this. In addtion to that, most all of the tabs would pop up with the Connecting title in the tab and stall for about five to seven seconds before it would continue to load the page. On some sites, after having opened a few links in a new tab/tabs, the stall that I mentioned seemed to quit and allowed the new tabs to load rather quickly. It seemed like to me as though MBAM was learning the sites as safe but I'm pretty sure that's not the case