User friendly firewall

I need your help in selecting a user friendly firewall for my pc. I'm getting constant IP blocks mostly from China when I'm surfing and not surfing the internet. I'd like to replace Windows Firewall with a better firewall for protection. Can you please recommend a firewall that will not conflict with what I currently have installed and possibly help me install it?

I have the following: Dell (only 2.24GB RAM); Windows XP Home, SP3; McAfee VirusScan 8.7; MBAM Pro, SAS, WinPatrol Plus; Windows Firewall.

Also, I've posted a message in the malware removal forum to check if my pc is possibly infected. Should I wait for this issue to be resolved first or can I go ahead and install a new firewall now?

Thank you so much for your time and help!!!

:)

Hello jnhyep57, and welcome to the forums here at Malwarebytes.org :)

Unfortunately I don't have any firewall recommendations (I am sure that someone else will jump in with that though! :)) but I am concerned that you are getting constant IP blocks. Do you have a p2p program running by any chance? (LimeWire, BitTorrent, Vuze, uTorrent, etc...?)

As a side note, when replying, please use the "ADD REPLY" button located at the bottom of the page.

Thank you :)

Hello mountaintree16,

I'm not using any p2p programs. If you don't recommend using a firewall, what can I use in place of it? I just recently installed MBAM Pro, SAS and WinPatrol Plus, CCleaner and ATF-Cleaner. I'm still trying to figure out how WinPatrol Plus functions. I wished I had asked for help before installing SAS and WinPatrol Plus. In fact, I have the paid version of SAS but decided later to disable the real-time protection since it may interfere with MBAM.

I hope you'll be able to help me. If not, just getting a response from you has made me feel better.

Thank you and take care!!!

P.S. while replying to you, MBAM just blocked my favorite IP address from China 218.8.245.123.

Hello jnhyep57,

I wasn't suggesting that you shouldn't use a firewall necessarily, I was just saying that I do not have any personal recommendations and that I'm sure someone else can jump in here with one.

I am glad that you don't have any P2P software on your machine :)

Have you been infected in the last 6 months or so?

Some people do run SAS and Mbam together in realtime and typically don't experience any troubles from doing so.

jnhyep57,

You have an open HJT/malware removal thread with Screen317.

Please continue & finish with him and then we can pick up afterwards, as you should not be attempting to make any changes to your system during the malware removal process except those that he has you make.

Sorry mountaintree16, I misunderstood you about the firewall!!!

I recently had several trojans that McAfee detected about three weeks ago that were quarantined and deleted successfully. Also, when I ran MBAM for the first time on 4/29/10, I had 2 registry data items infected that were quarantined and deleted successfully. Since that initial run, MBAM has detected no malicious threats. Also, weekly scheduled av scan - nothing found.

Thank you for your time and help.

Hi jnhyep57,

I use Online Armor which does very well, but I never used McAfee(other then preinstalled on my pc). I really don't know if they may conflict. However, I do know that SAS will not conflict with mbam. They work flawlessly on my computer.:)

Hi jnhyep57,

I use Online Armor which does very well, but I never used McAfee(other then preinstalled on my pc). I really don't know if they may conflict. However, I do know that SAS will not conflict with mbam. They work flawlessly on my computer.:)

Online Armor is VERY user friendly (and the one I personally use).. as is Microsoft's Security Essentials. OA is full-featured whereas MSE is the bare minimum...

Shy

jnhyep57,

You have an open HJT/malware removal thread with Screen317.

Please continue & finish with him and then we can pick up afterwards, as you should not be attempting to make any changes to your system during the malware removal process except those that he has you make.

Hi, I won't install any firewall until my pc problem is resolved with screen317. Thanks for your advice & help! :)

jnhyep57,

You're welcome! Thank you for understanding :) It's in the best interest of both you and your helper :)

Once finished, please do come back to this thread and we can assist you with your needs! :)

[...] keep off suspect sites -[...] Been clean for a long time -

That knocks out 95% of the infection chance... "keep off suspect sites" If people weren't going to get copies of pirated movies, videos, naked pix, music, computer programs and license keys, there'd be a big, Big, BIG reduction in infection rate... :)

Shy

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I am starting this topic again since my computer appears to be clean (thanks to Ron/AdvancedSetup & Chris/screen 317). However, I am still getting an onslaught of IP blocks. Ron said the following:

Well it's not cool that they keep probing you but not much you can do about it except to setup a firewall and make sure that you keep blocking them. The logs show that it's only being probed and your system does not respond. That is the equivalent of someone calling you on the phone but you never picking up the phone. They don't know if you're there or not.

So I'm back here to get help with firewall recommendations and advice. How do you setup a firewall to block specific IP addresses?

Also, I'd like to install MVPS Hosts but I need help with this.

Thank you! :)

[...] So I'm back here to get help with firewall recommendations and advice. How do you setup a firewall to block specific IP addresses?

Thank you! :)

Some firewalls, like ONLINE ARMOR, allow you to add a Blacklist which is a file with name addresses that are blocked and to which you can add to other name addresses. By the same token, you can modify your HOSTS file to direct any IP Address to 127.0.0.1 (which is a black hole in the middle of the web universe - actually null; never leave your computer. :))

~Shy

Some firewalls, like ONLINE ARMOR, allow you to add a Blacklist which is a file with name addresses that are blocked and to which you can add to other name addresses. By the same token, you can modify your HOSTS file to direct any IP Address to 127.0.0.1 (which is a black hole in the middle of the web universe - actually null; never leave your computer. :))

~Shy

Hi Shy, :)

Thank you so much for your advice. I'm definitely leaning towards installing Online Armor. If you don't mind, can you please explain to me how I can modify my HOSTS file to direct any IP address to 127.0.0.1?

Thanks again!

Please read:

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

The HOSTS file gives Online Armor less to do. :)

MVPS HOSTS and hpHost's files updated with HostMan provide much protection.

Do not fall for Comodo FUD.

post-100-1276627999_thumb.png

Hi Shy, :)

Thank you so much for your advice. I'm definitely leaning towards installing Online Armor. If you don't mind, can you please explain to me how I can modify my HOSTS file to direct any IP address to 127.0.0.1?

Thanks again!

Follow the link in YK1's post directly under mine (above - YK1 - msg 16). I read it and learned a few new things myself. It seems self-explanatory and is well-written.. There are also 3rd party programs/utilities that allow modification to HOSTS file and ensure that the correct format is maintained. :)Proper entries in the correct format is essential for the HOSTS file to work.

~Shy

comodo firewall is one of the best software firewalls out there and its really easy to use

Read about Comodo

Comodo + fake meds

Seems Comodo still aren't bothering to check who they're supplying SSL certificates to.

http://hphosts.blogspot.com/2010/06/comodo-fake-meds.html

Also, I've posted a message in the malware removal forum to check if my pc is possibly infected
I am starting this topic again since my computer appears to be clean (thanks to Ron/AdvancedSetup & Chris/screen 317). However, I am still getting an onslaught of IP blocks. Ron said the following:

If your thread with AdvancedSetup/Screen317 is now finished you can now add these items to your system -

Thank You - :welcome: