Error Code Asked to Contact The Support Team

Greetings and welcome to Malwarebytes :)

Please do the following to see if it corrects the issue:

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Then go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and delete rules.ref. Once you've done that, start MBAM and when it shows the error and asks to update, let it do so and see if that corrects it.

Once that's done, do the following to reset hidden files and folders:

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click on Start
  • Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Please let me know how it goes.

aerochago,

C: is typically your hard drive and typically is named Local Disk. :) Firefox & Thunderbird is a program/application. :)

I have got as far as going to C and going through that but the following messages have appeared - " the database could not be found would you like to download a new copy" then another "an error has occurred MBAM_ERROR_MISSING_FILE[2,0,rules,ref] the system cannot find the file specified". I have not reset Hidden Files etc

Al

Yes, that's what should happen. Go ahead and allow Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to download a new copy when it asks to do so and that should correct the issue.

Thank you that has worked, how do I put the MALB icon at the bottom on the right of the screen with the others?

Cheers

Al

If you only have the Free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware then it has no tray icon because it does not run in the background and is only an on-demand scanner, meaning you will need to update it yourself using the Update tab and run scans yourself using the Scanner tab.

If you're running the paid version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware then you need to do the following to have it run in the background:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Protection tab.
  • If you have not yet entered your ID and KEY info into the program then click on the Register button and enter them exactly as they appear in the CleverBridge email you received after purchasing your license.
  • Once that's done, click on the check box next to Enable protection module. and make sure that the following three checkboxes are checked:

• Start protection module with Windows.
    • Start file execution blocking when protection module starts.
    • Start malicious website blocking when protection module starts.

The fourth checkbox regarding tooltip balloons for malicious website blocking is optional, but I recommend having it checked as well so that you will be notified of attempts to connect to malicious websites.

You can then set up scheduled updates and scans (if you have the paid version) so that it will update and scan automatically. A quick reference guide on how to use the scheduler can be found here.

If you require anything further please post.