Inaccessible boot device

I got an Inaccessible boot device error after running combofix on a win2000 system. Combofix had reported that comres.dll was infected.

I tried a 'repair' install but I keep getting the same blue screen.

I've read on some forums that you need to run sfc or chkdsk /f but I can't get any sort of dos prompt from the win2000 cd or diskettes.

Any suggestions?

Note: I cannot run any other tools since I cannot get past the blue screen. Safe mode does not work neither does 'restore last known good configuration'.

Hello and welcome to the Malwarebytes.org! :)

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. You weren't overlooked on purpose.

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.

Please include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.

Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those we suggest while we are cleaning up your computer. The reason for this is so we know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process.

I would like you to create a life CD and boot your unbootable PC from it. Let me know if this is impossible for you.

OK this file is big Print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing

Two programmes to download

First

ISOBurner this will allow you to burn OTLPE ISO to a cd and make it bootable. Just install the programme, from there on in it is fairly automatic. Instructions

Second

• Download OTLPE.iso and burn to a CD using ISO Burner. NOTE: This file is 292Mb in size so it may take some time to download.
  • When downloaded double click and this will then open ISOBurner to burn the file to CD
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start. Change the following settings
    • Change Drivers to SafeList
    • Copy and Paste the following code into the customFix.png textbox. Do not include the word "Code"
      Please note: You can use a flash drive and copy this script into a txt file from a clean computer to transfer to this computer.
      msconfig
      safebootminimal
      activex
      drivers32
      netsvcs
      %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
      /md5start
      eventlog.dll
      scecli.dll
      netlogon.dll
      cngaudit.dll
      sceclt.dll
      ntelogon.dll
      logevent.dll
      iaStor.sys
      nvstor.sys
      atapi.sys
      IdeChnDr.sys
      viasraid.sys
      AGP440.sys
      vaxscsi.sys
      nvatabus.sys
      viamraid.sys
      nvata.sys
      nvgts.sys
      iastorv.sys
      ViPrt.sys
      eNetHook.dll
      ahcix86.sys
      KR10N.sys
      nvstor32.sys
      ahcix86s.sys
      nvrd32.sys
      symmpi.sys
      adp3132.sys
      mv61xx.sys
      nvraid.sys
      /md5stop
      %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
      %systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
      %systemroot%\Tasks\*.job /lockedfiles
      %systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.sys /lockedfiles
      %systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
      %systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.sys /90

• Push runscanbutton.png
    • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
    • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system
    • Please post the contents of the OTL.txt file in your reply.

In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see a button called Options. If you click on this in the drop-down menu you can choose Track this topic. I suggest you do this and select Immediate E-Mail notification and click on Proceed. This way you will be advised when we respond to your topic and facilitate the cleaning of your machine.

After 5 days if a topic is not replied to we assume it has been abandoned and it is closed.

regards myrti

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this machine only. Do not apply the instructions from this thread to your own machine. Please start a new thread describing your issue and someone will be along to assist you.