compatibility w/other anti-malware apps

Hi Friends,

Some time ago I learned that it's not a good idea to run 2 real time anti-malware programs at the same time. With anti-virus, I'm absolutely clear that you just don't do it. But with the several excellent non-av, anti-malware programs available, I often see where people are running more than one. Just in casually reading help forums, in my attempt to keep up to date on computer security, I see HijackThis logs where people might be running, for example:

- any security suite which includes av + real time am (anti-malware)

- Windows Defender

- MBAM

- Spybot S&D

I know that the real-time can be disabled in S&D, but not sure about Windows Defender or MBAM. Is it likely most people have real-time enabled for just one of them? Or could they be running 2 or 3 non-av anti-malware programs with the real-time enabled?

I'm setting up a new computer's security, and don't know what subtle or otherwise differences there are in those 4 programs, and whether they're all compatible. I did find in my security suite's help info (ESET), that it's compatible with Windows Defender. But I can't find any info about MBAM's compatibility with any of the others. (I'll be looking into S&D after I finish posting this topic.)

So my questions are:

Does it cause a serious problem to run more than one non-av, anti-malware program at a time? Or is it not really that big of a risk?

Is MBAM compatible with Windows Defender, Spybot S&D and ESET Smart Security?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it :blink:

Hi brynn - Welcome to Malwarebytes Forum -

You have a decent selection listed there - EST (NOD32) is compatable with Real Time Malwarebytes (MBAM) -Some exclusions can be added to make them Fully compatable - Always ask and we can list these items for you, especially if it includes its own Firewall -

Windows defender presents no problem at all (as with most Windows programs) also my Microsoft Security Essentials is running a scan as I type this -

Personally I prefer SUPERAntiSpyware, at this time as a second on call A/M scanner, but it will run in real time with MBAM if you wish -

If you prefer to use Spybot S&D it is best if you disable the Tea Timer function -

Thank you for your interest, and please post back if you wish more information - :blink: