Min. system requirements for Mbam

I was just wondering if there was an official statement on the minimum system requirements needed to run Mbam? I haven't really seen anything on this site or in the program itself other than Windows 2000 is the oldest operating system it runs on.

Other than the above, mainly I was wondering:

is there a minimum amount of RAM etc... needed for Mbam to run properly?

Thanks Ron! :D

That's exactly what I wanted to know! I also meant to write in my question that I mainly meant for the PRO version (since of course it runs in realtime) but good to know for the free version as well.

I'm sure others are wondering about it too!

One reason I wanted to know was because I have an old laptop that I used to use a lot that if all goes well, I am going to re-format, get the motherboard battery replaced, and I was going to run Mbam pro on it if all of that works out :) It only has 256 MB of ram on it :angry: So good to know that Mbam pro should work on it, then :D

• Root Admin

Yes, but that is why I want to bring up the minimum requirements with the Dev Team.

256MB of RAM might be enough to install and run it but its not going to work well.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 are not going to run on 256MB of RAM period.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7...quirements.aspx

Windows XP though officially will run on 128MB of RAM - in real life use it requires about 450MB or RAM just to run the OS once you have installed it and updated to all the latest Microsoft security updates and have installed maybe just a couple of basic programs and plugins. Then once you install an Anti-Virus and Malwarebytes or similar security applications you're going to find that your computer is just way to slow in general. As soon as any program has to swap out of memory to disk its going to slow way down, so the more you can prevent that the better off you're going to be.

Here is what I think would be a little more realistic (this is my opinion and not an official statement by the Company)

XP

Min Processor: 1Ghz +

Preferred Processor: 1.5Ghz +

Minimum RAM: 512MB

Preferred RAM: 1024MB (1GB) +

Free Disk Space: 500MB +

Any factory computer that was designed and purchased with Vista or Windows 7 (and was not designed and installed with XP or formatted and installed with Windows 7) and has at least 1GB of RAM should work perfectly fine with Malwarebytes.

Thank you for the additional information, Ron. I appreciate it!

This is an XP Pro laptop that I inherited from a friend of mine (she had gotten it through her high school) once she got a new computer that I used for college work and the last time it was online was late 2006 or early 2007. It has IE6 and SP2 :angry:. Last time I used it it was incredibly slow. So I don't even know if its worth getting it back up and running but I'd like to. I honestly don't know if its worth the trouble to go thru all that work, but at the very least I'd like to wipe the HD clean, and I do have the CD for it. No SP though, as its one of the first XP's to come out I believe.

• Root Admin

Nothing wrong in doing so. If nothing else its a good learning experience.

This should install just fine once you have the OS installed and running with the devices functioning in device manager.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

Very true, it would most certainly be a good learning experience for me :) Last time I reformatted it was our Windows 95 computer, which was the first computer we ever had at home that was online :angry:

I've already discovered that I can run Avira free on it too, so that's good. I wouldn't want to be without Mbam though :D

I also have a ton of drivers I am sure I'll need too from Dell, that I already found a list for :D

Thanks for the link, is that the SP you think I should download for the laptop?

When you say update online, you do mean thru automatic updates/via IE, correct?

Thanks for the tip :D

One more question for you on this, then I'll try to leave you alone :angry:

Since I've never really re-formatted before (other than that windows 95 machine that I kept trying to upgrade to Windows 98 since it came with a CD to do so, it never worked right, now I know why, most likely I needed to do a clean install, but that's another story lol) so when you check for updates via automatic updates/IE, would SP1 install first for XP or would I get all the updates at once?

If it does download SP1 first, then I think it would be correct that I let that download & install first & then just install that SP3 download you gave me?

And then as for the drivers, I think that before doing any updating to the actual Windows, I should probably install those first?

• Root Admin

First you need to check with Dell (as long as it is a Dell) and download all the latest drivers for all the devices. They should often also have a document describing what step to install things in.

Download the drivers and burn them to a CD that you can then use to install on the Laptop when ready.

Make sure you have the legitimate and legal CD key stamped onto the COA (Certificate of Authority) that should be on the laptop as well.

You also need the Dell XP install CD to do the installation.

Myself I boot with the CD and remove the partition and then install and go from there.

http://www.petri.co.il/install_windows_xp_pro.htm

Thanks Ron! :D

Yep, its a Dell inspirion. I found all the drivers I needed probably about 6 months ago now :D. I just haven't had the time/motivation to do this yet.

The sticker is still clear as day on the laptop, so I should be all set with the key & everything :)

Yep, the CD I have is actually the Dell install CD, as far as I know.

Myself I boot with the CD and remove the partition and then install and go from there.
Er, I don't quite know what this means, I mostly don't totally know what a partition is :angry: lol.

Thanks for the link :)

The other reason I haven't really gotten around to doing this yet is because I have some files I am debating saving off of the computer before I do this (although I think I found what I wanted to save anyway on my current computer) but I am worried it could have an old infection on it, because when I was looking at the old McAfee quarantine a few months ago I found something with backdoor in the name :/ I was thinking about running the AVPTool on it and for kicks Mbam (since Mbam came out officially after this machine hadn't been online for a while) and perhaps SAS too. Then I would reformat.

Edit: hehe enjoyed the Dilbert cartoon :)

Hopefully within the next month or two I'll take a day or two where I have some time and finally undertake this project, I've been meaning to for quite some time now :D hehe.