Comodo anti-virus great!?

DarkSnakeKobra

Hi everyone,

I just got done reading the Processor(newspaper for IT Professionals)that claims Comodo's anti-virus is the best.

In Abdulhayoglu's mind, antivirus solutions are misleading. " It's a reactive technology that is being marketed as a technology that prevents malware when in truth it's like a detergent. It can clean the trousers once they're dirty, but they will never keep clean," tool, and that is what we have built--a preventative tool that will not allow any unknown application to execute." He says. In fact, Comodo is so confident that its free PC antivirus solution Comodo Internet Security, will keep your PC clean that the product is underwritten by the Chubb Group of Insurance Companies(www.chubb.com). "If your for whatever reason you get infected, it is underwritten by insurance. If we can't fix your PC,[insurance] will pay out." Says Abdulhayoglu. "It's the first enterprise product where, to my knowledge, the company puts its money where its mouth is.

Here's another wonderful quote.

"Antivirus products will let anything in unless it's in the database, which means if[a virus] hasn't been added to the database, it won't raise alarms, and you'll be infected. They're cleaning products, not protection products." Adbulhayoglu says Comodo's products take a different approach. "To keeping a clean computer clean, you need a preventative

I can tell you for a fact that Comodo never blocked all threats from executing by antivirus or defense. They're product is like everyone else and will not prevent everything. My experience leads me to believe a layered strategy is the best.

Plus every antivirus(with real time protection) will block threats, but not all of them. Melih is quite cocky and thinks way to highly of himself and his company. Do us a favor man, get off your high horse, you are like every other security vendor. No one product is the best!

Er, don't they have one of the lowest percentages in tests?

A computer I was working on had CIS and it was a broken installation (not necessarily Comodo's fault probably the person who installed it did it wrong but who knows why it was broken) so it didn't even work right, so just Windows Firewall for basically 4-5 months or so until I found out about it & then had to fix it after realizing I couldn't unisntall it. Miraculously no infections, and as a plus it's Vista, so that helped tremendously. I had SUCH a huge headache with the computer and trying to uninstall Comodo. Several awesome individuals on the forum here helped me out with it and finally I was able to uninstall it & then get Avira on there. Also the firewall portion gave me such a PITA.

Not trying to bash Comodo but I did not have a good experience and I was advised to get something else on that machine asap.

And agreed Buttons, a layered approach is best, as I have very well learned since coming here :) :)

I think you mentioned that story before. I've never had any problems uninstalling it, but I've heard that it's notorious for that. No infections is quite the miracle. Still believe that no one product does the best.

Personally, I think Comodo is no exception to any other antivirus. According to MRG they have the best along side Gdata and avira. Their tests aren't acceptable in my opinion. Oddly they have the only tests that show comodo does great. I think theres a link somewhere in that, that ties a connection between the two.

I have had a good experience in the past with Comodo Time Machine and Comodo Firewall. The only firewall that was the best in my experience. But now I believe they are tied to the malware industry alongside MRG and possibly some others.

Plus their support forum isn't overly friendly. I asked about the ask toolbar being adware(before coming here and knew about it)and my question was ignored.

Malware Research Group, they do testing on security software like av-comparatives. They've also been known to be target by others for being linked to Comodo and distribution of malware. Awhile ago wilders security forum made a comment about it.

There was fire between the two threatening with lawyers and wilders saying they have proof they are linked. Wilders claimed they had proof of a comodo forum member/employee that was on MRG forum and uploading massive files to Comodo before a test. MRG denied the claims and said he doesn't exist on their forum.

Edit: Found the link. http://malwareresearchgroup.com/

Does Comodo still have Ask.com Toolbar and is it still asociated with HopSurf Toolbar?

http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?app=calendar&module=calendar&cal_id=&do=showevent&event_id=44514

If Calendar of Updates will not list Comodo updates then I will not use it.

Comodo: Watch your staff please (oh and a little correction)

http://hphosts.blogspot.com/2009/07/comodo-watch-your-staff-please-oh-and.html

That screenshot is pretty shocking on that page,

I have used Comodo Firewall for quite a long time no problem at all, but I dont have the defense moduel installed/av as from my experience it never finds anything?

That screenshot is pretty shocking on that page,

I have used Comodo Firewall for quite a long time no problem at all, but I dont have the defense moduel installed/av as from my experience it never finds anything?

Nope. It does not find anything. :) Amazing if it does. Was testing it awhile back ago with limewire and caught quite a bit. Missed a few though.(typical of any security software). However, the heuristics were blocking vista sp2 and some other updates. Still wouldn't recommend the antivirus(or the entire company for that matter) as it still needs much work.